my idle is getting a bit rough

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 10:50 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my idle is getting a bit rough

okay, so my idle is getting a little rough.

It's developed a bit of a lope, but not in a good way.
instead of a purr, she dips down a bit, and you can feel it vibrate the whole truck.
It's like this: vrrrrrVRRRRRvrrrrrrVRRRRRRvrrrrrrVRRRRR

do you guys know what i'm talkin' about?
My mpg's have gone down, and i'm losing power. But i've also got 20 inch rims now.

awhile back, i tried to pull codes, and it said that sensor2 on bank2, which to my understanding is the downstream o2sensor on pass. side. Anyhow, it wasn't reading anything. I pulled no codes, and not throwing a light.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it just the o2 sensor, or is it something else? Help me please!

Old 02-23-2005, 10:19 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
first question:
How many miles?

second question:
Have you replaced plugs and wires?

Old 02-23-2005, 02:39 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditto the plugs and wires...maybe you just need a tune up?

Is it pinging at all?

Old 02-23-2005, 08:18 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
704xx miles,
same plugs and wires

ive always thought it was plugs and wires, but the bad o2 sensor also makes me wonder...

also, i have no idea what pinging is...

Old 02-23-2005, 08:46 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Time for new plugs and wires.
Mine did the same thing as yours at about the same mileage.
Plugs and wires solved the problem.
FWIW - you can use the $1.50 copper plugs from Walmart (Champion or Autolite) gapped to approx .054. They work just as good as the platinum plugs, just don't last as long. Actually, I believe copper is a better conductor that platinum. Platinum is used because it lasts longer and the OEM can claim 100,000 mile tune-up intervals.

Pinging is the generic name (which also describes the sound made) given to the uncontroled combustion that occurs from time-to-time.
There are several different root causes that lead to detonation, preignition, and a few other forms of fuel/air mixture igniting before it is ignited by the spark plug.
It sounds a little like a "rattle" as if a few marbles were being rattled in a can. It can be virtually undetectable, or loud enough you can here it from across the street as a car drives by.
Modern engines have "knock sensors" which are actually piezo electric crystal sensors mounted to the engine block. These detect the abnormal vibrations caused by pinging and send a signal back to the computer, which then adjusts the timing, fuel-air mixture, and who knows what else, in an effort to minimize the occurance.

There's lots more involved, but that is a thumb nail sketch.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:41 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
One word,or two, depending on who you ask.....Seafoam

Old 02-24-2005, 12:37 AM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Cool guys, thanks!

I was planning on changing the plugs and wires soon, since i hit 70k.

But why did my downstream bank2 o2 sensor not show any readings on the code reader? The symptoms my coworker described (running rough, decrease in mpg) are prevalent as well

Awww dude am I going to have to replace plugs, wires, AND an o2 sensor?

Old 02-24-2005, 06:42 AM
sigma
Senior User
The second set of O2 sensors is there to monitor performance of the catalytic converter. They do not affect engine operation or performance. If it’s not throwing a code, just do the plugs and wires.

Old 02-24-2005, 09:50 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
I would have to go with the Seafoam...and a little against. Most people love the Seafoam as with that high of miles.

Tom used Seafoam on his truck, and it actually made his truck suffer GREATLY after using it, but he didn't hardly have any miles on his truck. He actually had to use a fuel additive over and over and little by little the problem fixed itself. Also, he was always in the mud!

Old 02-24-2005, 10:02 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Joseph,
Are you sure???
Seems like Tom's problems started when he had plug wires come loose and short out. ALso, he had been running Nitrous and colder plugs.
I think he tried Seafoam to little or no avail, but I'm not sure it actually caused his problems.
I seem to remember he finally diagnosed a suspected heavy carbon build up due to the plugs (too cold). Numerous treatments of fuel additive eventually cleared the build up and eliminated most all of the pinging problem.

I might be wrong, but seems like that is what I remembered.

Actually, I have never heard of anybody having problems due to Seafoam.

Old 02-24-2005, 10:28 AM
WVF150VIANC
Senior User
Originally Posted by BrianA
Joseph,
Are you sure???
Seems like Tom's problems started when he had plug wires come loose and short out. ALso, he had been running Nitrous and colder plugs.
I think he tried Seafoam to little or no avail, but I'm not sure it actually caused his problems.
I seem to remember he finally diagnosed a suspected heavy carbon build up due to the plugs (too cold). Numerous treatments of fuel additive eventually cleared the build up and eliminated most all of the pinging problem.

I might be wrong, but seems like that is what I remembered.

Actually, I have never heard of anybody having problems due to Seafoam.
I just got finished reading an old thread where Tom summarized what his problem had been and Brian has a pretty good memory. Speaking of Tom, has anybody heard from him lately. He hasn't posted in awhile. I wonder how his recovery is going?

Old 02-24-2005, 12:10 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
okay, i get a SLIGHT pinging (rattling sound?) from the engine. I was going about 75-80 in 5th (i have no tach)

I think I've heard it all along, but thought that something was just rattling. It's so hard to try to diagnose pinging just by reading about it on the forums... And the word "ping" sounds high-pitched to me.

Anyhow, gonna change the plugs and wires soon then.

And about seafoam, i was reading that someone flooded his cylinders with it and got a misfire in #3 and #6.

Anyhow, I'll probably give it a shot. I still have to work my suspension, it's getting rediculous. I've basically killed my front shocks riding on the drop coil, and in turn (aside from the hydraulic bouncing actioun) my steering has soooo much play because the shocks are so soft....it sways left and right.

I have all the parts, just need a @#$%@^ day off.

And yeah, where is Tom?

-rman

Old 02-24-2005, 03:39 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Ahh, maybe that's what it was then... I must have gotten the SeaFoam mixed up with his plugs and wires delimma...I guess I got my wires crossed! harhar

Old 03-02-2005, 10:50 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
PING rman:
Did you change the plugs and wires?
Did it cure the problem?

Old 03-02-2005, 08:39 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Still haven't gotten around to it. The pinging, well I really need to listen to my truck to be certain.

If you describe something, and I listen for it, Im sure I'll hear it even if it isn't there. You could have described pinging as the sound of squirrel farts, and I would have heard it.....

Also, with my entire cab sound deadened, my intake, flowmaster, and the active San Diego Volcano, it's hard to even hear myself scream bloody murder.

The plugs/wires are next on my list....I'll be sure to keep all posted. I'm one of those lazy/lagging people...