4.2 redline question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 08:57 PM
f15terwitha6ter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.2 redline question.

I searched, but the search function was overloaded, so don't hate on me too much if this has been covered before. I was wondering what the engine redline is for an 02 4.2 in a F-150? I have no tach either.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:23 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
5,000-6,000 rpms

Old 02-20-2005, 10:35 PM
fordguyforlife
Junior User
I think the redline is 6,000 but my redlimited kicks in at 5,500 on my 5-spd. I dont have a tach either so its a pain in the butt when you wanna go fast.

Old 02-21-2005, 10:24 PM
f15terwitha6ter
Junior User
Thank you.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:34 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
No, the redline is DEFINATELY not 6,000 RPM's. It is at the very most 5,500 RPM's. Don't rev it any higher if you want your engine/tranny to last you. If you are talking about this because of racing or accelerating or whatever, you should shift at around 5300 RPM's.

Also, if you have no tach, there is a chance you have a digital on-board tach on your odometer gauge. You just have start it a little different. I believe (if I remember correctly)...

1st - Hold down odometer trip reset button for 5 seconds
2nd - While still holding it in, turn the key to the on position, but don't start it.
3rd - Keep holding the button until your odometer blinks TEST a couple of times.
4th - While it is blinking, stop holding the button.
5th - Then you can scroll through you options until you get to the digital tach test
6th - Start your truck

You can drive with the digital tach as well as a couple of other options until you turn the truck back off...then it goes back to the odometer and you will need to repeat that process.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:17 PM
f15terwitha6ter
Junior User
Originally Posted by true4.2
No, the redline is DEFINATELY not 6,000 RPM's. It is at the very most 5,500 RPM's. Don't rev it any higher if you want your engine/tranny to last you. If you are talking about this because of racing or accelerating or whatever, you should shift at around 5300 RPM's.

Also, if you have no tach, there is a chance you have a digital on-board tach on your odometer gauge. You just have start it a little different. I believe (if I remember correctly)...

1st - Hold down odometer trip reset button for 5 seconds
2nd - While still holding it in, turn the key to the on position, but don't start it.
3rd - Keep holding the button until your odometer blinks TEST a couple of times.
4th - While it is blinking, stop holding the button.
5th - Then you can scroll through you options until you get to the digital tach test
6th - Start your truck

You can drive with the digital tach as well as a couple of other options until you turn the truck back off...then it goes back to the odometer and you will need to repeat that process.

Thank you. No I am not racing or anything like that. I did have the truck in 3rd at about 75 when I shfted to 4th (I was passing slow traffic)

Old 03-03-2005, 12:26 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
3rd at 75 is fine.

3rd gear has been known to go to (85-90) redline.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:50 PM
homer4.2
Posting Guru
That's gotta be so hard on the engine...

Old 03-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Megalodon1
Senior User
3rd at 75 is fine.

3rd gear has been known to go to (85-90) redline.
I hope your talking about an auto transmission....

Old 03-05-2005, 05:38 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Obviously you guys either 1. don't have a tach or 2. don't know what you're talking about.

I hope you realize I am talking strictly 5 speed not automatic and I'm telling you the redline MPH for a 5 speed truck. Any person who has a tach will tell you the same thing. You can downshift from 5th to 3rd at 70 mph and not have a problem at all. Do I recommend doing that all the time? No. But if you are wanting to pass someone or are just wondering, then you would be fine doing that.

Heck, I have 4.10 gears (rather than my older 3.55's) and I'm still pushing 3rd above 80 with those.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:56 PM
michaelbarry
Senior User
i believe this..because in my 99 f-150 i had with 4.2 5 speed...i ran first to about 45 before i shifted...it probably had 3.08 gears though...it was a 2wd...

Old 03-06-2005, 01:28 AM
Megalodon1
Senior User
Obviously you guys either 1. don't have a tach or 2. don't know what you're talking about.

I hope you realize I am talking strictly 5 speed not automatic and I'm telling you the redline MPH for a 5 speed truck. Any person who has a tach will tell you the same thing. You can downshift from 5th to 3rd at 70 mph and not have a problem at all. Do I recommend doing that all the time? No. But if you are wanting to pass someone or are just wondering, then you would be fine doing that.

Heck, I have 4.10 gears (rather than my older 3.55's) and I'm still pushing 3rd above 80 with those.
Sorry, but your not talking to someone who is unfamiliar with the 4.2/M5OD here - and your info is crazy. I've owned my 98 since new, and I have a 94 with the 4.9/M5OD also. There is absolutely NO reason to wind this motor up to 5000RPM in third gear - not for passing, not for acceleration, not for downshifting - NO REASON. With 3.55's I'm spinning almost 3100RPM in fourth gear at 70 miles an hour - this is more than enough gear/RPM for passing acceleration on the interstate at this speed.

My collective experience with the M5OD exceeds 11 years and 300,000 miles- and I damn sure know what I'm talking about. I've been in just about every situation you can be in with it, good weather, bad weather, freezing snow and ice, hot blistering and humid conditions, towing, cruising, off roading, working, playing, you name it. This is a good transmission, and seeing your post and how adamant you are in your position makes me wonder if the bad reputation this transmission has recieved has much to do with operator ignorance. No wonder Ford limits the manuals to half of what they rate the autos to tow.

With 3.55's I'm always shifting between 2-3000RPM, just depends on if I'm loaded, towing, going uphill, or coming down a grade. With 4.10's (which I may upgrade to) I'd be shifting between 18-2400RPM under the same circumstances - and I'd probably be using 2nd gear starts unless I'm loaded down, towing, or starting up a hill. I believe the transmission and gearing should be used to take abuse off the engine - not throw more on it.

Last edited by Megalodon1; 03-06-2005 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:11 AM
LxMan1

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
5000 is the safe redline for the 4.2L.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:57 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Megalodon1
Sorry, but your not talking to someone who is unfamiliar with the 4.2/M5OD here - and your info is crazy. I've owned my 98 since new, and I have a 94 with the 4.9/M5OD also. There is absolutely NO reason to wind this motor up to 5000RPM in third gear - not for passing, not for acceleration, not for downshifting - NO REASON. With 3.55's I'm spinning almost 3100RPM in fourth gear at 70 miles an hour - this is more than enough gear/RPM for passing acceleration on the interstate at this speed.

My collective experience with the M5OD exceeds 11 years and 300,000 miles- and I damn sure know what I'm talking about. I've been in just about every situation you can be in with it, good weather, bad weather, freezing snow and ice, hot blistering and humid conditions, towing, cruising, off roading, working, playing, you name it. This is a good transmission, and seeing your post and how adamant you are in your position makes me wonder if the bad reputation this transmission has recieved has much to do with operator ignorance. No wonder Ford limits the manuals to half of what they rate the autos to tow.

With 3.55's I'm always shifting between 2-3000RPM, just depends on if I'm loaded, towing, going uphill, or coming down a grade. With 4.10's (which I may upgrade to) I'd be shifting between 18-2400RPM under the same circumstances - and I'd probably be using 2nd gear starts unless I'm loaded down, towing, or starting up a hill. I believe the transmission and gearing should be used to take abuse off the engine - not throw more on it.

Ok, I don't know if you're taking me the wrong way or what, but somewhere you aren't reading me correctly man. I don't care how long you've owned, operated, and worked on any 4.2. I've seen DYNO-PROVEN results on a DYNO-RUN that this truck makes it's PEAK horsepower at 4,900-5,000 rpm's, so if you're gonna sit there and say it doesn't just becuase you've been in one for a while...doesn't make much difference to me.

Also, I NEVER said that the transmission was crap. Our tranny's can take quite a beating and keep on ticking without missing a beat, but you act as if you have to absolutely baby it for it last long. I can definately say that you have your wires crossed somewhere due to the fact that you don't believe the truck can go up to 5,500.

Now then, here's where I think you totally missunderstanding me. Am I saying that it's a good thing to wind the truck up that high? No! Am I saying that it's fine and dandy to cruise at 75 in 3rd? No! Am I saying that if you do this constantly without stop, you're tranny/synchros will go to crap? Yes! Are you on the same page with me now? Or are you still in utter disbelief that our trucks can go that high?

If I can do it, I'm going to post a video today if time permits just to prove to you that our trucks can do this with no problem. I have no clue how to do that on the computer, but I'll try. I would really love to put some concrete prove in front of your eyes and reveal to you that our trucks can push harder than your 11 year experience thinks.

-Joe

p.s. I'm not trying to bust on ya or anything, and I'm trying to stay as civil as I can, but I know what I'm talking about due to my experience with the 5 speed. Tracks, dyno sheets, you name it, I've seen it also. I'll try and get that video clip of my truck today for ya.

Old 03-06-2005, 03:22 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Megalodon1

Joe is talking about the M5OD capabilities, not normal operation. He's not crazy.

There are TONS of people who push these trannies to the LIMIT, with no problems. A rebuild here and there, but already at HIGH mileage.

These transmissions hold up VERY WELL to sporty/spirited driving.

Quick Reply: 4.2 redline question.