Hey Gtex, what's up?

Old 02-19-2005, 02:57 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Gtex, what's up?

I haven't heard from you for a while. How are things in your part of the country. Any changes to the truck?

-Scouder

Old 02-19-2005, 03:40 PM
gtex
Lead Driver
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Not much happening here. We got a bunch of cool, wet weather.

the truck has me worried. There's some smoke on startup now. I need to pull the plugs and check things out. I need to do about a hunderd other rthings to the trucks as well. I'm waiting for a new fan controller from Felx-a-lite. Mine is obviously not working correctly or consistently. I probably need to pull the intake manifold and get it sealed up right this time. Maybe retorque the head bolts as well if I don't determine that the gaskets are shot.

I need to put in a quick shifter or adjust the shift points on the C6. There's various rattles, clunks and smells that need to be addressed.

I'm considering tearing it down and selling all the parts...pay off some bills, invest more more for retirment an providing some finnacial security for my hard working spouse....

yeah right..

Old 02-19-2005, 03:55 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering where you Old farts were hanging out at??

Old 02-19-2005, 04:04 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Man I know the feeling. These ol' girls need alot of maintenance. They smoke, they leak, they develop noises that scare the s*** out of us, etc...

Not only that, but the more you do to 'em, the more you WANT to do to 'em. Before you know it, your original plans (and budget) are distant memories.

I'm still working on some major items, as well as some smaller ones. I have the 4-point cage almost done. I will continue to flesh it out until it is a full-fledged 12-point. I'm guessing another 4-6 weeks. I also oredered my 5.38 gear sets from Randy's Ring and Pinion yesterday. Combined with little things like a thermostatic switch for my electric fan, and the new Idle-eze baseplate for my Demon, I've got my hands full through spring. Oh yeah, and as soon as I sell a couple of things I have, I'm going to pick up a US Body fiberglass hood and get it mounted. I don't know what I'm going to do when I get it done. Probably take up drinking and gain weight.

I hope you are joking about selling off, but if you DO get to that point call me first. You've got some good components there.

I was just watching the Dream Car Garage guys doing a shootout with famous muscle cars. The winner was the Boss 429 Mustang. It ran a 13.74 at 101mph. It makes your goal of 13's even more impressive.

-Scouder

Old 02-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by RapidRuss
I was wondering where you Old farts were hanging out at??
Well there it is. I was wondering how long it was gonna be before somebody called me an old fart. I guess I'm in the Geritol and Fleet enema crowd now! I'll have to start using the word "whippersnapper" more too.

Hows your 521 project coming along?

-Scouder

Old 02-19-2005, 04:18 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Hey Scoot, whats up bud!! Yea Geritol...I buy it by the gallon!!! LOL!! Oh Brain slow but sure, I guess?? I have to look for another block..Nothing wrong with the D1VE..it just wont support the Hp and Tq...that the motors gonna want to make on the Tunnel and 2 850 center squiters on top...

The Pics I sent to Greg of the first T-Ram arent going to be what I'll be running...They guys at Evans Racing Engine's decided it worked to well on there 533" motor...And I was gearing up for Cam for that..and then got my money back in the mail..So its all cool...

So Now I have a Offy Polished awaiting Carbs from Lyle Stalh.. in colorado....
There a very rare Old Carb..May not work for my Project..If not I can get my money back...But I know some guys running them with very good luck..but they dont run there cars on the street?? So We'll see...

Hows My hotrod truck doing up there at 7000 ft??

Russ

Old 02-19-2005, 05:18 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

I just went out between posts and tack welded the 4-point into place. I'm going to start fabbing up the lateral bars on the main hoop. They will go from just to the right of the driver's head on the main hoop to the cab mount behind the passenger seat, and from just left of the passengers head to the cab mount behind the drivers seat, and will be welded together in an X. This should give great support to the main hoop in the event of a rollover, keeping it from collapsing in the middle between the seats, and the triangles will make it a seriously rigid structure. These two bars alone will probably take me a week or more, but they form the foundation for the rest of the triangulation.

For somebody who initally wanted something fairly tame, it sure sounds like you're building a full race bullet to me. Like I posted above, it sure is funny how these projects change as we start doing them.

-Scouder

Old 02-19-2005, 05:43 PM
RapidRuss
FE "Freakin Expensive"

Ya Scoot, LMAO!!! well the triangular shape will be the most rigid!! No doubt!!

I'am having a hard time staying up with the damn rules, For NHRA...there's so dog gone many loop holes ,that some tracks will let you get by with and others wont..what a pain in the ***!!

I did manage with my new Employer to get 9 days off the 2nd week of August! I tried for The long weekend..but that went over like a fart in Church!!

But I'll still work on getting time off for the long weekend..I dont want to miss that!!
my time off during mid August will give me some time to work out the Famous Ford Blinking light sindrome??

Yep..Went from building the Mild 390 to 396..and a small cam..to building the 433 cobra.and selling it to the what started as a 460 swap for the 70 F250..To right now per Kaase's Sim...830hp and 803lbs of Tq.. in a 3200lb.. Stang... and about 12K..

But ...Probably 2007..it ..I hope will be all done and streetable?? It going to take me this years just to do the Chassis...and I still have the bottom end to do..along with now looking for another Block..But Hopfully before I DIE!! I can make a couple good passes with it..And look for a couple of Vettes to Kill!! LOL!! Strokester I hope your not listening!! No Punt Intended!! LOL!!

Russ

Old 02-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just added a new part to my garage......an ALGON fuel injection manifold with Hilborn pump

Will be bolting it on the race car...hopefully
It'll be the only stick shift, fuel injected FE, WAGON running.....
Should be pretty cool IF I get it all working correctly, or it may be a REALLY expensive coffee table....

It should be showing up at work come Wednesday...or so. I'll get to mock it up this weekend to see if all is well. Then I have to get it plumbed on car. As soon as tranny gears get back, clutch showed up last week, motor this weekend...it should be back together by mid March!

Rock and Roll.

(Hmmmm...if it doesn't work well on race car....maybe I'll throw it on the '69 and take a couple pics.... )

Old 02-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Definately keep us posted and show us a pic when you get it installed. Sounds VERY cool.

-Scouder

Old 02-21-2005, 03:14 PM
gtex
Lead Driver
Typical Greg approach: I'm thinking if I have to pull the heads and manifold to get rid of any gremlins (light smoking issue, and oil leaks):

I might as well....

1. KC stage II porting on the Edelbrocks
2. Victor intake
3. step up to the Crane 349541 Hyd. Roller (I think my springs are good for it)
4. The bigger Holley Projection Commander 950 setup
5. upgrade C6 ****er mechansim
6. and about a 2000-2500 stall TC (my highway crusie is 3000+rpm)

Is there any way I can still use it as truck configured as above?

anybody want to run a Desktop Dyno for that setup?

Old 02-21-2005, 03:47 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

Ill run a DD for you when I get off work. I have an estimated set of flow numbers for the Stage IIs that should put us fairly close.

And yes, you can still use it as a truck if by "truck" you mean a big, heavy, no mileage gettin', tire smokin', ricer killer that idles at 900rpm!

-Scouder

Old 02-21-2005, 04:37 PM
gtex
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Scouder
Ill run a DD for you when I get off work. I have an estimated set of flow numbers for the Stage IIs that should put us fairly close.

And yes, you can still use it as a truck if by "truck" you mean a big, heavy, no mileage gettin', tire smokin', ricer killer that idles at 900rpm!

-Scouder

You just described my truck as it already is :- ) (OK, it kills most ricers)

I bet the fuel injection with a good map will make up for the high flowing goodies....I bet the mileage wouldn't change much on the highway....But, I've been wrong before :-)

But, I bet all that stuff makes a big difference at the track....might actually need the sticky tires.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Scouder
Posting Guru

I just changed the heads and cam on the DD chart I already had for you and it jumped to 600/600. I've said before that I think DD2000 handles these Crane hydraulic rollers poorly, so I'm guessing 575/575 ish. The torque peak should be around 5000 and HP should peak around 6000.

By way of comparison I have a KC engine in my spreadsheet that was a 468 (4.19 by 4.25, compared to your 4.16 by 4.125) that has KC stage II's, Performer RPM, 950 DaVinci, and an unspecified Hydraulic Roller and is making 636HP at 6000, and 620ftlbs at 4800. That's 1.36hp/in. Running that figure against your 448 you get 609hp. You would be running basically the same combo except for cam. Assuming it is similar, and I'd bet they are, you should be at least in the 1.3hp/in range or 582hp.

Considering the results Keith got with this combo, you may consider leaving the Performer in place at first, and just change the cam and heads. It's easy to switch the manifold and induction after the fact.

All in all, it sounds like one nasty bugger, and will make my life more difficult when I come out there. I would like, as I said before, to match your times. That is getting more and more unlikely as you make these improvements.

-Scouder

Old 02-21-2005, 06:56 PM
gtex
Lead Driver
Now, what about a 150 Shot of the Hooch Juice? Is my hardware up to it?

Do you plan to run your truck in 4wd? I think you'll three significant advantages: weight, traction and power!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hey Gtex, what's up?