Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Uh oh, rattle in oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 02:13 PM
feddoc
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uh oh, rattle in oil pan

I was changing the oil today on my F350 PSD and happened to whack the oil pan with my hand. Heard something rattle. Kept whacking the bottom, it kept rattling.

Dunno what it is.....any ideas? Maybe a check valve thingy?

thanks

Old 02-19-2005, 02:20 PM
ReserectedSD
Senior User
not fully sure, but is there any more info u can give us? is your truck running fine? Any oil presure drops when you come to an idle, or if you rev it in park? Unlikly, but the pickup tub from the LP oil pump could be lose and moving around. Other then that i'm not to sure. I do know that in order to pull the oil pan, u have to retrieve the whole motor. And trust me. i've done that to mine 3 times now.. Its NOT alot of fun... However if you do have to do that and have any questions feel freel to ask. (e-mail is easiest)

Old 02-19-2005, 02:23 PM
feddoc
Senior User
Nope,

Oil pressure is good, no loss in power or performance.

Old 02-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Frobozz
Posting Guru
It's not unheard of for the occasional piston cooling jet to fall out and into the pan. They're just press-fit in. Their purpose is to spray oil on the underside of the piston to help keep it cool. It's a little u-shaped tube. You should definitely try to fish out whatever is in there, though usually people find these cooling jets as they slide out the drain hole while changing oil, so I'm not sure how you fish one out that's not cooperating like that.

When people have this happen under warranty, they make Ford fix it. But it's never been clear how critical it is if you're not pushing your truck to the limits, since those trucks clearly ran without them for numerous miles before the missing jet was discovered, and it just gets replaced without any concern for long term damage to the engine.

Duncan

Old 02-19-2005, 03:07 PM
feddoc
Senior User
Yup, that is what my nephew said it probably was. I have no idea how long it has been there. The rig runs great, always has. Probably take it in the shop Monday. Bummer as we were planning a long trip tomorrow.

Double bummer as my wife's car is in the shop for body work.

Old 02-19-2005, 04:29 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Triple bummer. The shop is going to have to pull the engine to fix it.

Old 02-19-2005, 04:33 PM
feddoc
Senior User
Originally Posted by cookie88
Triple bummer. The shop is going to have to pull the engine to fix it.

Nope, not gonna have to pull it.

Old 02-19-2005, 04:37 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Meaning you are not going to fix it, or it isn't a cooling jet in the pan?

Old 02-19-2005, 05:14 PM
feddoc
Senior User
Originally Posted by cookie88
Meaning you are not going to fix it, or it isn't a cooling jet in the pan?

Meaning my nephew has pulled them out before without pulling the motor.

Old 02-19-2005, 05:57 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
Gotta jump in here. Are you sure you want to pass on fixing that? With the jet missing you've got an open port bleeding off oil pressure, denying the lifeblood to engine bearings, etc.

Old 02-19-2005, 06:17 PM
ReserectedSD
Senior User
Are you sure that he's pulled the pan with out pulling the motor.... I just rebuilt my motor and i know exactly where the cooling jets are.. They aren't up far, but far enough.. And the oil pan is going to be a mother to get out if you can figure out a way with out pulling the motor... I mean ya, u could raise the motor, only after taking the turbo off and a few other things.. I know its not something you would want to do, but I don't think it would hurt to pull the motor, spin it around and get a chance to check out how that cylinder wall looks thats missing the oiler. It could be fine, and it could be wearing bad.. And as someone who just got to have the fun of paying for a rebuilt with everything getting redone I'll tell you that you would like to avoid that if at all possible.. just my 2 cents...

Old 02-19-2005, 06:24 PM
ReserectedSD
Senior User
Are you sure that he's pulled the pan with out pulling the motor.... I just rebuilt my motor and i know exactly where the cooling jets are.. They aren't up far, but far enough.. And the oil pan is going to be a mother to get out if you can figure out a way with out pulling the motor... I mean ya, u could raise the motor, only after taking the turbo off and a few other things.. I know its not something you would want to do, but I don't think it wouldn't hurt to pull the motor, spin it around and get a chance to check out how that cylinder wall looks thats missing the oiler. It could be fine, and it could be wearing bad..

I just got to rebuild my motor work, which includes sleeving to cylinders, replacing somet pistons, a ring set, and all the other goodies... So of course its ur call, but if you want the longgevity out of the motor, you need to take every step possible to insure its not pointless wear.

Hope all goes well. Keep up updated

Old 02-19-2005, 08:28 PM
feddoc
Senior User
Thanks for the replies. We will pull the pan first, then make sure what it is that is loose.....then go from there. Nephew seems to think it is a cooling jet; if so they will fix it. If not they will fix it anyway. All done in the Ford shop according to Ford specs. Should add that nephew is a service manager for a large chain of Ford dealerships.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:00 AM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try to use a magnet to lure the loose piece to the drain plug. You may be able to identify it even if you cant get it out it. Big difference between an oiler and a nut off a rod cap. You can go in through the drain plug with the magnet or you can try to pull it to the plug area by staying on the outside of the pan with the magnet. Naturally if it's not ferrous metal it won't respond to the magnet. I used to keep a small but powerful magnet stuck to the oilpan near the drain plug. Maybe this would help figure it out before you open it up.

Old 02-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Calli
Senior User

feddoc. Ford has left plugs in the lower end of their transmission dipstick tubes for a number of years. This is knocked out when the dipstick is installed. I have found them in C-6s, in my 98 Lincolnn Mark V111 and in my '99 4r100. Maybe? Try calling service dept. at Dealer. Carroll

Quick Reply: Uh oh, rattle in oil pan