1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

99 Expedition Blend Door and Actuator Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 06:24 PM
rpatrick
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Many Thanks and a Few Questions

SFC2001 - MANY THANKS! I also have a 99 Expy, same problem, same desire to save $1000. Also appreciate your pointer to alldatadiy - I can see I will be a frequent visitor there.

I got my blend door out after 5 hours and was hoping some of you who have done this before can help me out:

1. Is the blend door available separatelyl? It looks like some have posted they bought the door by itself, while others had to buy the whole box. I tried going to the online Ford parts places I could find (fordpartsnetwork, fordpartsdiscounted) and could find neither the door nor the entire box.

2. The door has this number stamped into it: F65H-18B545AF. Is this the Ford P/N? If it is, maybe I can take it to a local Ford dealer and have them get me another one.

3. Since I have the blend door motor also out, do you think it makes sense to replace it also at this time? Even though it probably was working (I got no error code on the EVIC self test), I'd hate to not replace it and then have it go out a month later - know what I mean?

Thanks again for all your help.
Rob

Last edited by rpatrick; 07-09-2005 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:47 AM
sfc2001
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, the blend door is available separately... The p/n on my blend door box was: YL7Z-19D963-BA (Box reads 'One Frame')

You get the door and frame, about $28.

And yes, I'd replace the actuator also while you've got it out, around $50-60, might as well while you've got it out.

Good luck...

Old 08-22-2005, 08:56 AM
bean239
New User
Thumbs up 99 Eddie Bauer Blend Door Replacement

Problem: Front air full hot all the time, rear air cold. I did not have the problems with air suddenly coming out of the defroster, nor did it go sometimes hot / sometimes cold.

Solution: Blend door motor replacement or blend door replacement. I tried the blend door motor replacement first (excellent directions posted above) but when I got down there the plastic shaft of the blend door was shattered, and the blend door actuator would turn if I adjusted the temperature controls - so blend door actuator/motor okay, but have to replace blend door ("Crap!" is right). I bought the blend door from the dealer for $30 - labor would be approx. $1200 to replace. Decided to do repair myself.

Step 1: Read posts in this thread.

Step 2: Purchase subscription to www.AllDataDIY.com for $25.

Step 3: Print out instructions for dash board and console removal. Print out instructions for dash board and console installation.

Step 4: Buy beer, deceive buddy into helping you with "minor repair". I enlisted the help of a mechanically-inclined friend since I am not by any means a good mechanic. We were able to complete the job in just over 7.5 hours.

Notes and Tips:

1. Be sure to label all your parts / screws / bolts in plastic baggies.

2. Tools required: 10 mm, 7 mm, 8 mm sockets, 10 mm deep-well socket. You also need a larger socket (12 or 13 mm, I think) and one tiny socket (4 or 6 mm, I think) but I can't remember exactly right now. You need a small torx to remove the center console, but that's the only torx you'll need. You'll need a multitude of extenstions for your rachet. A small electric screwdriver might make it faster, and to do it really right, a tourqe screwdriver would be better than a big tourqe wrench. A push-pin-type retainer removal tool is a big help.

3. The All Data instructions are excellent.

There are a few additional bolts at the end that we had to remove to get the dash off, but they were visible and easy to find.

When you get to the step about "positioning the RH splash guard away from the dash" you have to do it from under the fender well on the passenger side. (The picture is not very good, and after working inside the car for an hour or two is seems strange to stop and move to the outside, but that's what it requires, unless you do this step at the very beginning to do all the "dirty work" first.)

The air suspension on/off switch pulls forward out of its holder so you can remove / install the plug on the back. (Much easier than trying to sqeeze your hand in behind it to undo / install the plug.)

4. The posts above are excellent, but:

You DO have to remove the glove box. You don't have to have the special tool...we just wedged open the hinges at the bottom of the glove box with screwdriver handles and removed the three bolts from the dash - I'm not saying it's the safest way to do it, but it worked.

You DO NOT have to remove the headlight switch, radio, or any additional panels other than what is in the ALL Data directions.

Good luck, and it's not that bad. It was definitely worth the $1100 savings!!!

Old 11-02-2005, 07:46 AM
searsk
New User
Cool This is about a blinking overdrive light

I was driving and the check engine and the the overdrive light was flashing any recomendations?

Old 11-05-2005, 12:12 AM
Machek
Freshman User
aerocolorado and shadow114:

The 'fix' you describe with the temperature control **** is similar to the problem I had. If you pull the temperature control **** off of its stem, you'll probably find that the shaft on the back of the **** is cracked. If so, the **** won't have a tight enough grip around the stem to turn the potentiometer. It will work in small increments like mine did, but the **** will eventually completely fail to turn the stem. At that point you will have to repair the **** with superglue (like I did) or replace it with a new one.

Old 12-20-2005, 07:15 AM
Robinsom
New User
REplaced Blend door and now I have to re-insert Blend door actuator (previous mechanic left it off whnwe hard-wired blend door temporarily. Milkman's previous post says to just pry down floor duct and insert actuator. Extremley tight and concerned with knocking out blend door (another 11 hours to pull dash).

Can the floor duct that goes up into dash be pulled?
Are there any other alternatives/?

Old 12-20-2005, 05:42 PM
sfc2001
Cross-Country
What I did to make the re-insertion easier was 'nipping' off one of the plastic 'tabs' on the ductwork. As I remember, there was a very obtrusive plastic flange/tab that was making the reinsertion much more difficult... It's real obvious which one, when you're trying to pry the duct around to get the actuator back in.

After fooling around w/it for an hour I just got my tin snips out and nipped that bugger right off, gave me a lot more room to maneuver the actuator into place. Didn't hurt a thing. :-)

Good luck...

Old 01-28-2006, 06:20 PM
ckmcknight
New User
1999 Ford Exp Blender Door

The instructions were great but I can not find the blender door. Any idea where I can find the part. The local Ford garage will only sale the whole chamber.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:09 PM
sfc2001
Cross-Country
The Ford part number for the blend door and frame -- approx US $30 -- is

YL7Z-19D963-BA (Box reads 'One Frame')

This gets you the blend door, and blend door frame.

Best of luck,
Scott

Old 01-30-2006, 08:06 AM
Robinsom
New User
Should be able to special order Blend Door an dFramem from Ford Dealership.

Should be able to special order Blend Door and Frame from Ford Dealership. Try another one.

Originally Posted by ckmcknight
The instructions were great but I can not find the blender door. Any idea where I can find the part. The local Ford garage will only sale the whole chamber.

Old 03-29-2006, 06:24 PM
NewExpeditionOwner
Junior User
Talking Got my blend door and motor fixed cheap!!

I figured out from reading posts here that I had the infamous blend door problem....I called my local dealer and they said they could fix the blend door for about $140. in labor!! From looking at everyone's post on how expensive and time consuming it was....I said kewl....do it!!! I took it in and they replaced the blend door and the motor....and finally bill was only $350!!!!.....they apologized for under-quoting me on the labor....it was really like $240. labor....but I still figured I got a sweeeeet deal!!!!!!

Rick

Old 03-30-2006, 12:31 PM
egmoss
New User
Rick, I also have blend door problem and live in the St. Louis area. Where did you get your blend door fixed?

Old 03-31-2006, 05:19 AM
NewExpeditionOwner
Junior User
I do alot of business with Talbert Ford in DeSoto and have bought several new vehicles from them......The service manager apparently messed up on the labor quote and we worked out the deal for the changed rate......I think they had to eat some labor cost and they may not do it again........but it may be worth a try!!

Rick

Old 06-09-2006, 08:15 AM
97EddyDrvr
Freshman User
Air Misdirection

I just changed the blend door and actuator on my 97 Expy....Before air was coming out of the front vents but hot....Now i don't have any air coming out the front vents, its coming out of the front defroster vents on any setting i put it on...What could be the problem now?

Old 06-18-2006, 08:27 AM
sfc2001
Cross-Country
Sounds like you left a vacuum hose unattached when you reassembled, perhaps.

Quick Reply: 99 Expedition Blend Door and Actuator Replacement