Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2005, 01:20 AM
Freshman User

JimR500 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smelly Garage

My machine is giving off gasoline odors when is gets into the garage [.."..so, are you expecting french perfume..." wrong answer!!]. I don't sit and idle the engine when the machine comes in but it doesn't take but perhaps a half minute before the little-woman-who-reads-over-my-shoulder comes out with "why does it stink so much?" Its getting to the point where she is making noises that I should heaven forbid park outside. A quick inspection didn't show any leaks in the lines. There is a hose from the charcoal cannister to the air cleaner. We have to keep two fans going in the garage to get rid of the odor. Anybody got a suggestion that might fix this problem and preserve the peace and harmony here?
----------------
72 R500 351C 4V C6 w/GT trim
Old 02-19-2005, 02:34 AM
Elder User

Rancheroracer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check the carb. & fuel pump close. Sometimes small leaks don't leave much visible evidence, especially the carb. If carb is leaking onto manifold that would explain the odor, dangerous also. Sometimes the carb will "dribble" fuel down the throats after shutoff. Pull air cleaner & check everything as soon as you shut if down.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13
Old 02-23-2005, 06:00 PM
New User

ranchero Dan is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am having the same problem with a 460 in my 79 ranchero and i found that the fuel pump casting has a small crack in it. You don't really smell any gas when driving, but when you pull into the garage... WOW! smells like you dumped a gallon. So check your pump for any (even slight) wet spots. I would also check your oil to see if there is any gas present there that would also be another sign that the pump has failed. Good luck! Dan the ranchero man.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Freshman User

JimR500 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanx, ranchero Dan & Rancheroracer.
<>Thus far, some suspects have been eliminated: no holes in the hard lines, the flex line at the tank, the flex lines at the pump, or the line from pump to the filter; the flex vent line seems to be OK as far as my hand can reach on top of the tank. The next thing to check is the fuel pump [...do the easiest thing first] and the oil sump as you two have suggested. A carb leak is entirely possible and that will be checked in order. The saga continues, posts will come as things develop.
<>Another thing has crossed my mind: how/what determines how many gaskets should be placed between the carb and the manifold? Enough to make a good seal? Is the heat a factor in what thickness is used? Help!!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:38 PM
Elder User

Rancheroracer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Usually one gasket unless it has a "sandwich" plate between carb & manifold, if it does, then there would be a gasket on either side of the plate.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13
Old 02-23-2005, 11:38 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > Ranchero & 1961 - 1967 Econoline

Tags
garage, getridofsmellygarage, rid, smelly