Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2005, 09:08 PM
New User

sikboater is starting off with a positive reputation.
Stuck oil filter

Any idea's on how to get a stuck oil filter off? I have just about broken a filter remover and bent a screw driver trying to get it off. I just bought the truck so who knows when the oil was changed last.

I am about ready to put a crow bar through it but don't want to destroy the filter. Plus it the truck is already drained, so I can't drive it anywere. !!

Also any tricks to getting the fuel filter off too? It seems to be put in very tight also.

Thanks in advance!

Tim
Old 02-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Postmaster

barebackjake is starting off with a positive reputation.
ive got a pair of really really big channel locks that i used to use when it was on a little too tight.

i had one that got stuck on there soo good, got a 1" bolt and welded 2 spikes on it drove it in and used a socket and rachet to geter out.

RIP CHRIS. 03/09/05
Old 02-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Senior User

Freakazoid! is starting off with a positive reputation.
Got two tricks for you:
Normally I use a strap wrench, which is just a piece of square bar stock that a 3/8" ratchet fits into, and a cloth strap, similar to a tow strap (but smaller), and as I turn the wrench, the strap winds around the stock, eventually tightening up on the filter, and twisting it out.
The alternative (this works best for those that use a normal oil filter wrench), is to put a rubber glove (or latex or nitrile) over the filter and then put the filter wrench on the glove - it will give a pretty good bite on the filter. That's most useful when the filter is oily and greasy.

I also remember way back when my dad had a giant Pontiac diesel station wagon and the filter got crushed, he ended up cutting away the filter until only the part that seats against the adapter was left. Then he and our neighbor welded up this tool that had two bolts poking out that fit into the backside of the face of the filter (where the 6 or so holes for the oil to go out of the filter were) and twisted it out that way. That particular oil change was completed in only two days. I wish you better luck than that!

1997 F350 XLT: PSD, AT, Crew Cab, DRW
1995 Bronco XLT: 5.0L, ZF 5 Speed
1966 Galaxie 500: under construction!
Old 02-19-2005, 06:07 AM
Senior User

BigRed350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikboater
Any idea's on how to get a stuck oil filter off? I have just about broken a filter remover and bent a screw driver trying to get it off. I just bought the truck so who knows when the oil was changed last.

I am about ready to put a crow bar through it but don't want to destroy the filter. Plus it the truck is already drained, so I can't drive it anywere. !!

Also any tricks to getting the fuel filter off too? It seems to be put in very tight also.

Thanks in advance!

Tim
Tim, the big Channel-Locks will do the trick, so will hammering a large screwdriver through it! As for the fuel filter, that same big screwdriver between the "vanes" on the cover will give you the extra leverage you need. You may have to remove the plastic box over the filter to gain some room though.

Good luck!

1971 Corvette Coupe, 454 LS-6 465hp.Muncie c/r 4sp. 85,000 miles, AC, PB
Old 02-19-2005, 03:58 PM
New User

sikboater is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the help.....

I finally got it off with a really big screw driver and a few holes in the filter.

Tim
Old 02-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Elder User

mybigredford is starting off with a positive reputation.
good to hear you got it removed, but i use channel locks too, them things really grab good.

2002 F350 XLT 7.3L PSD 4X4 Bellowed up pipes, HPX, CCV mod, foil delete mod, AIH Delete
Old 02-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Posting Guru

bodabdan has a good reputation on FTE.bodabdan has a good reputation on FTE.
In the future you may want to punch a hole in the bottom of the filter to allow it to drain the oil in the filter. It really cuts down on the mess. I use a strap wrench when needed. You can find them made with a strap made of chain, nylon, or rubber. They will fit a large variety of sizes, and they are useful for hundreds of other uses.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Too old to be too smart

SpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputationSpringerPop has a superb reputation
There's a guy on eBay that is usually selling the proper-size (Lisle p/n#53250) filter wrench for PowerStroke-sized filters. Your local Napa may carry them, too. They are plenty heavy-duty, and have never failed me.

SpringerPop
Email SpringerPop SpringerPop's F-350

Last edited by SpringerPop; 02-20-2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Elder User

mybigredford is starting off with a positive reputation.
i also punch a hole in my filter like bodaban said but just make sure you get the filter a little loose before you punch the hole cause if you cant get it off then what do you do if you dont have another vehicle to drive for the time being? might be a problem since you now have a hole in your filter. just something to think about.

2002 F350 XLT 7.3L PSD 4X4 Bellowed up pipes, HPX, CCV mod, foil delete mod, AIH Delete
Old 02-22-2005, 02:24 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
73, corvette, f150, f250, filter, filters, ford, fuel, jammed, oil, powerstroke, stuck, tools, tricks, truck