Old 02-18-2005, 01:26 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Adding Trailer Brake controller to 2005

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q119.pdf

2005 F-250-550 Aftermarket Trailer Brake Controller Connector
Models Affected
2005 F-250-550 trucks not equipped with Ford's Trailer Brake Controller (Option Code 52B)

Purpose
To locate the connector for Aftermarket Trailer Brake Controller installation.
Description
An aftermarket trailer brake controller (ATBC) will need to be installed if Ford's Trailer Brake Controller was not ordered and/or a trailer utilizing electric over hydraulic brake or disc brakes is being towed.

A pigtail (part no. 5C3T-15A416-AC) may be provided in the glove compartment (option dependent), which is intended for use with an ATBC. The documentation accompanying the ATBC pigtail (see Photo 1) was incorrectly released and describes the location of the connector on 2004 F250-550 trucks. Disregard this documentation. The procedure to locate the ATBC connector is as follows:

1. Remove the front bezel from the Instrument Panel. Do not disconnect any of the wires.

2. Raise the bezel to the maximum height allowed by the connecting wires.

3. Look into the opening created by the raising of the bezel.

4. Locate the forward (toward the front of the vehicle) section of the "pocket" (see Photo 2) where Ford's trailer brake controller is installed. You will see two molded connectors with two harness connectors attached.

5. Locate the four wire harness connector (see Photo 3). The other connector has ten wires.

6. Remove the four wire harness connector from the molded in connector.

This four wire connector is the ATBC connector. Attach the ATBC pigtail to the ATBC connector and install your ATBC. The following is a list of the ATBC connector and ATBC pigtail circuits:

Function Circuit No. Circuit Colors:

Battery Feed 50 Red

Brake Pedal ON/OFF signal 511 Light Green

Ground 206 White

ATBC Output to Trailer 43 Dark Blue

Old 07-07-2006, 06:43 PM
JCody
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 F-250 Brake Controller Installation

First post so first I want to give many thanks to everyone for the information I've gleaned from reading through the various threads.

I just bought a new 2005 leftover (I guess double leftover at this point) and one of the uses will be to tow a 16' utility trailer. I came here to figure out how to connect the brake controller on the 2005 and newer F-250s. I got a lot of info prior to buying to help me buy. I now have the trailer and the brake controller and using this thread,I attempted to install the controller wiring. Due to this thread, I was able to quickly locate the connector (un-findable unless you know exactly where it is). However, by reaching under the Instrument Panel bezel, I was not able to get a good grip on the connector that has to be disconnected prior to connecting the after-market controller. I then noticed how close the plastic bag hook is to the connector and saw that it could be removed very easily by taking out the 2 visible screws. I removed the hook assembly and was able to reach in, remove the connector from its existing spot, connect the new connector and put it back together. If I had known, I would never have had to lift off the Instrument Panel bezel. I thought this might help anyone else trying to get that connector into that tight spot. I hope this helps.

My thanks to all once again for all the great info.

Jeff
2005 F-250