Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

dodge 6spd vs ford 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 12:34 AM
pegglegg31
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dodge 6spd vs ford 6spd

okay guys i want to hear from the dodge and ford guys who owns the 6spds which truck with the diesel pulls better on grades with heavy loads and which one will hold torque longer

Old 02-18-2005, 06:15 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Go over to the 6.0 forum and do a serch tons of information.
Real world work, with 6oh's

Old 02-20-2005, 01:00 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Dodge has a new 6 speed.

The nv was durn tough.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:09 PM
pegglegg31
Freshman User
i have the nv but will someyone answer my question

Old 02-20-2005, 01:18 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Your asking a question about speculation, UNLESS the same person owned two trucks and pulled the same grade with the same trailer....how is anyone going to answer this....with out it being speculation/Opinion

Curious I am!

Old 02-20-2005, 01:25 PM
pegglegg31
Freshman User
Smile

Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
Your asking a question about speculation, UNLESS the same person owned two trucks and pulled the same grade with the same trailer....how is anyone going to answer this....with out it being speculation/Opinion

Curious I am!
hmmm well peolpe make speculation all the time about the autos. but when you ask a question about the manuel everyone shuts up .wonder why. so what you r saying is no one has pulled with a manuel ford or dodge im sure that is not true. i have not but im sure someyone has that is why i am asking

Old 02-20-2005, 01:30 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
what you r saying is no one has pulled with a manuel ford or dodge im sure that is not true.

Please point out where I have written that

Old 02-20-2005, 01:34 PM
pegglegg31
Freshman User
Smile

Please point out where I have written that
where u said the one person owned the same trucks. well im sure their has been people that have owned the same trucks and pulles the same grade with those trucks.i do all the time with my chevy and ford

Old 02-20-2005, 01:37 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
This could be more difficult to find that person than you think

Old 02-20-2005, 01:41 PM
pegglegg31
Freshman User
Smile

This could be more difficult to find that person than you think
i dont agree people all the time is this forum r comparing the auto ford to the dodge . saying how much better it pulls why dont anyone ever give their ideas on the manuel i need imput im seriously considering buying a third diesel and want to know about how well it pulls the ford that is sorry

Old 02-20-2005, 01:43 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
"how well it pulls the ford that is sorry"....????

Old 02-20-2005, 01:46 PM
pegglegg31
Freshman User
Smile

how well it pulls the ford that is sorry....????
no when im said i was considering buying a third diesel i did not specify so i said ford then i said sorry . sorry. about the wording

Old 02-20-2005, 01:48 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
OK I really did not know what you were asking

Old 02-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
The nv has better gear spacing than the zf. Small even steps.

Old 02-20-2005, 11:13 PM
Megalodon1
Senior User
When it comes to manual transmissions, I like Dodge's approach more than Ford's.
There are many differing opinions based on differing aspects of both transmissions.
When discussing Dodge's manual 6 speed vs. Ford's manual 6 speed, it actually comes down to two transmissions vs one, since Ford has been using the same transmission for quite a while now and Dodge has just changed over to a new one.

My limited experience with the ZF goes back a few years. I noted it was quite notchy then, but that was still nothing that I could'int live with. I expect some notchiness from a heavy duty transmission. The ZF's ratios are far superior to the wide ratio NV4500 5 speed that I had in my 96 Ram 2500. For the better ratios, and extra strength, I could live with the ZF's finickyness over the smoother NV4500. The ZF has'int got a very good reputation behind the 6.0 diesel, but this in no way should be attributed to the transmission - it seems the 6.0 was made to suit an automatic more than any manual transmission.

The NV5600 I know only from test drives. It is smoother and closer shifting than the ZF , but still somewhat notchy IMO. The NV5600 uses a cast iron case which is stronger than the aluminum that the ZF utilises of course, but how this added strength is of real benefit to the user I can't say.

The G56 six speed I also know from a test drive - you won't believe how smooth this transmission is unless you drive it for yourself. I can tell if someone online has actually test driven one - they say the very same thing. This new transmission comes with a dual mass flywheel which apparentely is not nearly as bomb friendly as the solid flywheel the NV5600 utilises. The transmission itself is geared much lower than the NV5600 it replaces and is currently only available with a 3.73 rear axle ratio as a result.
With 3.73's however, it recieves the same tow rating Dodge has bestowed on the NV5600 and 48RE with 4.10 rear axles.

So here's my view;

ZF Advantages

1.) Aluminum case dissipates heat more efficiently than cast iron does.
2.) Light weight yet high strength yields higher payload
3.) Has been in use for quite some time - we know it will hold up to everyday work.
4.) Reverse and low are inline with each other for easier trailer manuvering. (MOO)
5.) Has lower gearing in first than the NV5600.
6.) Integrated cooling system like an auto transmission.
7.) Best overdrive ratio for unloaded economy

NV5600 advantages;

1.) Cast iron case can withstand higher temperatures before rupturing.
2.) Uses heavy grade gear oil and does not require a cooling system of any kind.
3.) Has withstood severe bombing and extreme uses very well.
4.) Has a lower reverse gear than the ZF.
5.) First and second are inline with each other for easier shifts during loaded acceleration. (MOO)
6.) Closer and smoother shifting than ZF's I remember.
7.) Better overdrive ratio than G56 for unloaded economy

G56 advantages;

1.) Aluminum case means lighter weight and increased payload.
2.) Easily the smoothest shifting transmission of the three.
3.) Though a newcomer it has seen use primarily in medium duty Frieghtliner and Mercedes applications - stock reliability should not be an issue.
4.) Geared much lower than the other two transmissions in both 1st and reverse.
5.) Better overdrive ratio for towing economy
6.)1st and 2nd are in the same gate for easier shifting during loaded acceleration. MOO

MOO = Matter Of Opinion

As you can see all have advantages - it's a matter of looking at the glass half empty of half full. Personally, with the demise of the NV5600, I conceide the ZF as the most reliable manual transmission in current production as of right now. I do believe that this G56 is a winner though and will prove itself - Dodge has always had good manual transmissions with the exception of one.

I prefer the G56 for its smooth shifting characteristics, lower granny and reverse gears, and the shift pattern - but that's me - I certainly do not feel the ZF is in any way a bad transmission.

Quick Reply: dodge 6spd vs ford 6spd