Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

transmission in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 04:50 PM
bobs01bolt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission in trouble

new to the seen. i bought a 01 lightning about 4 months ago and the tranny is slipping, it shifts fine but when in gear it struggles to hold on when i gas it. driving normal it has no problems, but theres no fun in that. does anyone have any suggestions on what i should do about getting it rebuilt. i went to a local shop and it looks like i need about 3500 to have it done up right. if anyone has any recomendations of a cheaper way to build up a trans i would really appreciate it.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:14 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are pleased you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE
…..See you on the boards.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:18 AM
sigma
Senior User
If you have it rebuilt I would add in a Factory Tech Valve Body. The transmission will shift much harder which is great fun, and last longer from reducing the friction caused by the smoother stock shifts. If you want to replace it, upgrade to a Factory Tech Monster Box.

Greg Evans manufactures both the transmission and valve body. You can get pricing direct from Greg on eBay, or most places that sell Jasper Rebuilt motors, or Tim at Chickenears Engineering. http://www.chickenears.com/transmission.htm

Old 02-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll second the upgrade to a MB, but there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Gregg doesn't build them anymore, which means his attention to detail is not there. The good news is that they are now build and distributed by Jasper. That means they have a warranty and you can get them much more easily because of the Jasper nation wide distribution network. Should be a good bit under $3500 also.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:43 AM
bobs01bolt
New User
i appreciate the feedback do you think it would be cheaper to buy the monster in a box rebuild kit and have my local shop do all the work. (does it come with everything you need) also i had a buddy who had pretty good luck with a lentech trans. does anyone have any experience with those. also what about the torque converter???

Old 02-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could get the kit for a MB, but it would probably cost you more with someone else doing the work.

The MB comes with the FTVB and Dominator converter.