2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"valve tapping"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 06:49 PM
whiskerbiscuit
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also have the "diesel noise" at idle. As I am not a mechanic, does mean I have a problem that should get looked at or is it something that can wait? Also, if there is a problem with this "Normally Open Lash Adjusters diesel sound" what would be the consequences (poor performance, bad fuel economy, engine wear, etc.)?

Old 04-06-2005, 09:16 AM
200454FX4
New User
It took 3 wks for my truck to be repaired. The dealer that I bought from said my truck was the first one they had seen with the problem. When you gt it back you should still have the dieseling sound, since the CAM Phaser has nothing to do with that. Best of luck to you and your truck.

Whisker:
There is no problem with the NOLA's, it does not effect HP or MPG's. It's just a noise issue at idle. Me personally, I like the diesel sound. It makes the truck sound tougher.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:28 PM
monty4169
New User
200454FX4

The dealer called me today and sounded like they were overwhelmed with my trucks repairs. My service advisor called me and said they were running into issues that were unexpected and it is no where near being complete. From what I'm getting from them, they really have the engine broken down. I just hope it all go's back together the same way and they use new gaskets and torque evrything properly. It only has 4,000 miles on it so, I'm sure they know if they make a mistake, I'll be back to get it fixed. better right the first time and to be sure the problem is solved since it is warranty work.

I have no problem with the dieseling sound either. I like it also. I think everything being roller on the top side of the head has a lot to do with it also. No big deal. Just can't cope with a knock that sounds like a rod. The knock was so pronounced that you could feel it when touching the engine. A have 2 friends with the same engine and neither one knocks like mine. Thanks again

Old 04-07-2005, 10:07 PM
monty4169
New User
To All with the knocking 2004 5.4 litre engine

Received my truck back from the dealer today. I do not have the pronounced knock anymore but still have the diesel clacky sound which I was told was normal. You have to really listen for it to hear it. I think it is very quiet for all the componets under the valve cover. I was experiencing valve rattle also which went away for what reason I have no clue. The tech typed in a code as corrective action on the paperwork so, beats me. Now a Happy FORD F150 truck man. I love it! They did a really good job. No scratches, no misplaced harnesses or broken retainers for wires which I'm surprised. They replaced the cam phasers and cam sprockets.

Old 04-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
monty, Glad to hear everything went well.It's nice to hear a good news story in hear once in awhile!My noise seems to mostly be on passenger side of motor.I am going to have it checked out.Anyway, Good Luck and Have Fun with it!

Old 04-08-2005, 08:03 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Valve lash adjuster cause ticking not dieseling type knock!

Old 04-08-2005, 03:11 PM
dschlut
Junior User
I had the cam phaser replaced on my 04 Screw FX4 in November (6000 miles), the diesel sound has never went away. Last week I went to the dealer and asked about the clunking noise in the rear end on take off. While I was there I ask them about the diesel noise again and was told that the fix is still not out from Ford. I have had my truck for about 5 month and have 14,000 miles on it and other than the clunk I have been very happy. I kinda like the diesel noise.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:49 PM
monty4169
New User
Ruckus

I still have the clacking diesel noise more pronounced on the passenger side also. I do believe it is what 200454FX4 is talking about if you scroll up and look at his post talking about the Normally Open Lash Adjusters (NOLA). Also if you look at diagrams covering the heads of this engine, you will see the cam is roller that operates the 3 valves per cylinder. I grew up working on race car engines with my father and uncles. My experience with roller lifters and roller rockers is that the componets are very clacky. It's just the noise it makes. Every engine I've had with roller componets has been clacky. The heads on the new 5.4's and other new Ford engines use the same type componets but a lot more complex than the average street machine. There is a lot more Aluminum in these engines and everything is up top now. This calls for a more noisy operation but more efficient and longer lasting. Before when the cam was in the block, there was only one and the Iron block hid the noise. I have researched for answers and found nothing. The only thing that gives me piece of mind is talking to people on here and understanding how the engine works, parts used and what it is made of. When I put all this info together and took past experience with similar parts, I realized that it is a good engine with performance parts that are noisy. It is built to last. I don't think FORD will ever be able to make the engine any quieter than it already is.

Before the repair, I was afraid to drive with the radio on because I was afraid of something happening and not being able to hear it. My CD's are back in my vehicle, my radio is on and I dont worry about it. I occasionally turn the radio off at a red light and I barely hear the clack. A night and day difference from before. Reading the posts up top also talk about the clacking going away at about 1800 to 2000 RPM's. It is true. The noise in my truck dissappears at those RPM's. I tested it at idle with the windows down after the repair. It clears right up and purrs like a kitten. If this is what your truck is doing, I would be confident saying it is a fine piece of machinery and will last you many years to come. Good luck to you Ruckus and enjoy your ride.

Old 04-12-2005, 11:39 AM
REDPUB
New User
Originally Posted by 1brannon1
Special Service Messages
18342 2004-2005 F-150 5.4l 3v - Ticking Noise From Upper Engine
Some 2004-2005 F-150 Vehicles Equipped With A 5.4l 3-valve Engine May Exhibit A Ticking Noise From The Upper Engine. If The Noise Is Light, Comes From The Top Front Passenger Side Of The Engine, Occurs At Idle, Goes Away Above 1000 Rpm, And Is More Pronounced As Oil Temperature Increases (above 160f/71c), Replace The Cam Phaser With Kit 3r2z-6a257-aa (interchangeable Side To Side). If The Ticking Noise Does Not Match These Symptoms, Check Instead For Collapsed Lash Adjusters And/or Cam Shafts That May Be Galled.
Effective Date: 12/16/2004
I also heard this ticking noise on my new 05 FX4 . So I printed out this service message and when the mechanic hooked it up to the diagnostic he found out what was wrong and ordered the cam phaser part.He didnt have a clue what it was or what it involved as far as putting it in. So the service manager is going to find out and let me know.Thanks to this post I was able to be one step ahead of the dealer. I'll let you know if it fixes the problem.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:20 AM
200454FX4
New User
They have to tear down the front half of the engine including the valve covers to replace the cam phaser. It is attached to the front of the CAM. When doing this make sure the dealer verifies the locating pin is not lose. If it is then request new CAMs be installed.

When the CAM Phaser goes it like to wear on the loacting pin causing it to elongate the hole in the CAM.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:58 PM
cruzn56
New User
Picked up a 05 FX4 Screw. It has 160k. The engine starts off sounding quiet and smooth when cold, but when it gets to operating temp. It has a lot of top end noise mostly on the passenger side valver cover. I guess I would say it has a diesel sound, but not sure if it is what others are hearing. The engine runs great and lots of power.
I can live with the noise, however not sure if it is something that can be left alone or should be fixed. Reading threads on the forums about the noise and Cam phaser, I am not sure which way to go. Fix it , or just leave it. Since it is a higher mileage engine. I am going to insist it has a lot of hwy KM's. the truck looks like new inside and out and with 160km in 3 years it makes me believe it. I am wondering if using 5w-30 instead of the 5w-20 that is called for might make a difference. Any ideas on this?

Old 10-12-2008, 12:34 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cruzn56
Picked up a 05 FX4 Screw. It has 160k. The engine starts off sounding quiet and smooth when cold, but when it gets to operating temp. It has a lot of top end noise mostly on the passenger side valver cover. I guess I would say it has a diesel sound, but not sure if it is what others are hearing. The engine runs great and lots of power.
I can live with the noise, however not sure if it is something that can be left alone or should be fixed. Reading threads on the forums about the noise and Cam phaser, I am not sure which way to go. Fix it , or just leave it. Since it is a higher mileage engine. I am going to insist it has a lot of hwy KM's. the truck looks like new inside and out and with 160km in 3 years it makes me believe it. I am wondering if using 5w-30 instead of the 5w-20 that is called for might make a difference. Any ideas on this?
cruzn56, welcome to the boards. Wither its your cam phaser or just your lash adjusters it hard to say with the the tapping noise. Wither you fix it or not is depended on 2 things. 1) If you bought some kind of warranty with the truck. I've heard from a couple guys around here and read a few posts on the boards where head removual runs around $800. 2) How you look at things. If the truck runs and looks as good as you say. I have no reason to not believe, because I know of a few 04's with over 250,000 miles on them and running like the day they was built. Myself I would run it untell I had to get it fixed if I did'nt have a warranty to pick up the bill. My truck did'nt have a faulty cam phaser. It was the lash adjusters. As far as the oil weight to use. Thats a call your going to haveto make. If you search this subject on these boards you'll find all kinds of opions on it. I do know that some dealerships said to use the 5w-30 if you could'nt get 5w-20. I used 5w-30 myself. It did'nt quite the noise any. I know I'm not helping much but on this case it's pretty much going to come down to your point of view and how much out of pocket it will cost you and of course how much you can afford.
Good luck and keep posting.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:22 AM
cruzn56
New User
Thanks for the input. That's kind of the train of thought I had. Run it for now and see if it changes. The truck runs pefectly fine as is. I always do my own work on vechicles and this may be something I tackle next spring when I have the time and have learned what I need to before digging in. I did have the plugs changed just after I bought it and they all call came out. I didn't mind paying for that service, not having any experience with the breakage issue and the extraction tool. I must say, for a engine built in the 21century, I am suprised ford built these potentially serious problems in.