1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

Unibody FRAME OFF Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 09:37 PM
Kongslibakken
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unibody FRAME OFF Restoration

I want to pull the body off of my 1963 Unibody, i'm afraid of springing the body or twisting it. Has anyone done a frame off and how did it go? How did you do it??

Old 04-30-2005, 11:06 PM
daveengelson
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Am sure there is a correct way to approach the frame off restoration. Did not intend frame off on my 65 kinda ended up that way. Marked location of bolts when removed hood and fenders. Took reference measurements from ground to cab mounts. Also marked location when removed the doors. These marks, and reference points, will vary slightly if/as you replace the radiator support bushing, cab mounts, weather strip, etc. Marking can provide a starting point. Suggest not throw anything away until complete restoration. Sometimes find will need item off original to use with replacement, or template. May find replacement unavailable and need to recondition original. Suggest think of any upgrades, then do some research. Unfortunately, did not come across FTE forum until well into the restoration, but found members extremely helpful. Looked at few trucken magazines for idea's and source of research. www.classictrucks.com has some tech articles you can review online. Believe the unibody is little bit more involved if considering power steering and brake upgrade. Saw a book online auction called 'how to restore Ford pickups'. Not sure if would be any help, perhaps run search on 'bookfinders.com', or 'alibris' may find used book, or something simular. Kinda took on as learning project for future restorations. Found one restoration is enough for a life time. Surely, more knowledgeable members on topic will be able to provide some sound advice. Good luck

dave

Last edited by daveengelson; 04-30-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Kongslibakken
Senior User
Thanks for the advice I've been doing some research but I haven't really found anyone who has actually done a Uni BUT I know its been done. I don't want to spring the body on my 63 Short Box. I would probally oh I won't go there....

Old 05-02-2005, 12:07 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I made a set of verticle mounts with tires off of a hand cart that bolt to the fender lower and upper mounting holes in the cowl. Used these on a short bed Uni. This truck had no rust on it and i encountered no issues in remounting the body back on to the frame. I have Pictures somewere.

If there is rust present then cab bracing needs to be done in each direction verticle and horizontal.

Garbz

Old 05-03-2005, 02:36 PM
Kongslibakken
Senior User
Thumbs up

I was thinking of welding 1" tube steel to the top of the bed behind the cab and at the tailgate and possibally in the door jambs I also was thinking of making some sort of a frame to lift the truck. If you could find those pics it would help a lot I have a little bit of a rust issue but its not real bad. How did your Uni turn out I'd love to see some pics' my son and I could use the inspriation. Thanks

Old 05-03-2005, 02:48 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
There are 2 pics of the uni in this album

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...?&albumid=2322

This is my old album. basically the truck is a long term project. the basic body and bed along with the frame are complete. I just aquired a 428 FE that i will be placing a Edelbrock dual four barrell setup on so i hope to have the truck ready for next years Slick Stock.

My Crew Cab Uni sort of got in the way of getting the Pro Street done...

Garbz

Old 05-03-2005, 03:02 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Also i will root around the computer at home. I have a lot of Pics from the LTD clip install and among them there is a few showing the rollers mounted on the body.

The bracing is a good idea. I used 16 guage shop angle to brace the bed while i removed the non rusted floor...............yep i cut out a perfectly good floor to make it as low as she is. the bed is now a total of 2 inches deep from the top of the rails.

I have a 12" rear notch in the frame and the center line of the axle is about 1" above the top of the rail.

Need to do some revisions in the front end, as i....uhh screwed up and placed the clip a little too far forward with having the wheel base at 116" in stead of the 114" Bad advice recieved At the time of building the frame.

Whats that saying live an learn..Time to order some new chromoly and make a set of new rails and crossmembers....dang that means i need to buy a mandrel bender....

Garbz

Old 05-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Garbz, are you telling me that the old standard to move the wheels forward 2" when you lower a truck into the weeds is wrong?
Do tell.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:18 PM
Kongslibakken
Senior User
The LTD clip sounds right up are alley I would like to see those pics we have a 351 cleavland some cobbled a granada motor mount in there I really need to redo and were disscussing power steering and disk brakes. I'll take any help I can get..

Old 05-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Is it a short wheelbase Uni? if it is , and you like the idea of a LTD clip, check out eBay #4546949894

Slipping that Crown Vic under there is just the cats ****, IMO. If I live long enough, that will be the eventual fate of my short uni, to give me the look I rendered for my avatar.

Last edited by Ringo Fonebone; 05-04-2005 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:02 AM
garbz2
Post Fiend
John

Yeppers pal it messes up the works.................let me splain..............

I used a 78 LTD clip which is a rear steer and front sump frame. by moving the crossmember forward the 2 inches the front of the water pump is in the radiator. now this is with the big block. the rear steer dont help any as it also limits me to installing a rear sump pan....I was like DUH! I mocked everything up with a bare 460 block..........Did mounts and everything. I need to move the engine back about 2.5 inches but the crosmember is in the way for an inch and a quarter....Dont get me wrong this was about the easiest frame i have ever done with the entire job taking an eight hour day to do the entire swap including welding.

If you use the 79 up it switched to a front steer setup....That puppy you can put at the 2 inches and have a mile of room for a rear sump oil pan.

So i have two options.. i have been talking about an a entire new chassis or redo the clip with a mid 80 LTD ot CV. they are about two incheds narrower than the 78 clip too so wheel combos are a little more forgiving.

It also helps that i now have the 428 sitting on the engine stand as i used the 460 in the Crews rebuild.The 428 is dimensionally smaller overall by about an inch and a half. And i have a rear sump 4x4 pan and pickup for it. So once i get the crew out of the way it back to hammering on the Pro Street....It may work out with the clip i have once i mock up the FE, but with the Suicide Crew in the garage there is no room for the for me to work on it.

Also with the LTD the power steering box is usable with some modificatons to the firewall. i filled the hole for the stock exit and placed a shortened tilt collum form the LTD through the firewall and made the attachment. I adjusted the mount accordingly under the dash.

I want to have the Pro Street in some semblance of completion so i can trailer it to Slick Stok 06, so i have lots of work ahead...

Kongslibakken
For pictures of the LTD install E mail me an address and i will try to drop the fourty or so pics on a CD.

Garbz

Old 05-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Kongslibakken
Senior User
garbz they tell I can't e-mail you until I've done 15 posts sniff sniff ! Any ideas I'm still wet behind the ears.

Old 05-06-2005, 06:31 AM
garbz2
Post Fiend
d.garber at bognetinc.com

Garbz

Old 05-06-2005, 03:21 PM
vegas
Junior User
Originally Posted by Kongslibakken
I want to pull the body off of my 1963 Unibody, i'm afraid of springing the body or twisting it. Has anyone done a frame off and how did it go? How did you do it??

please check my photo gallery i have pics in there with the body off of the frame... yes it is a little sketchy but it has been like that now for over 3months. It has been holding strong and it only took 2 people to do it. Basicaly jus took the bolts out of the body, jacked the rearend higher than the tires, cut some railroad ties to the right legnth and put them outside of the frame rails, then jacked the front up and did the same thing but this time with the blocks on the rocker pannels. we then rolled the chassis until the rear tires came to the front blocks and put more blocks right behind the doors then removed the front blocks and rolled the chassis full out and replaced the front blocks.

Old 05-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Kongslibakken
Senior User
Thanks Guys I not to sure what happen but I went looking for a parts truck and I found a 65 shortbox. Been gone doing Horse trading for it. First how do I break it to my wife and second where do I put it ??????????????

Quick Reply: Unibody FRAME OFF Restoration