Sponsored by:

Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 02:05 PM
amw_drizz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low Oil Pressure

OKay i junked my b2 and got a 93 bronco... the guy said it needed a oil chonge no prob so i did it but it still has low oil pressure... it is around "N" In Normal. so i am worried about the oil pressure levels. it has 156,000 miles on it. it was around the "o" before the oil change. the other thing is now i have the smell of burnt oil somewere. only when i am stopped or sitting. my father says change the oil every 1,000 mile for 4 times becuase the vehicle has been sitting. i pan on doing that.

is there any reason the oil presure is low. My def of low is aroun N,O in normal

Old 02-14-2005, 02:24 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Putting in a little heavier oil might increase oil pressure -- you can go up to 15W40 if needed. However, low oil pressure could be a sign that you might need a new engine (or rebuild) in the not very distant future. It can be caused by several things, but with 150+k, it's probably a worn engine (bearings). You may be able to "fix" the low oil pressure by a high volume pump and be fine for a while.

Old 02-14-2005, 02:35 PM
amw_drizz
Junior User
i know one reason why it went down is that i used 10w30 in it instead of 10w40 i'll try next oil change in 950 miles is to use 10w40 highmilage synthetic oil.

my father thinks since it has been sitting for a year change the oil every 1,500 miles for 4 times might clear it up

Old 02-14-2005, 03:03 PM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by amw_drizz
my father thinks since it has been sitting for a year change the oil every 1,500 miles for 4 times might clear it up
I wouldn't bet on that. I have roughly the same milage (159k) and my engine is in the "O" when cold, though after it's warmed up it's between the the "R" and "M". It's usually sticky rings (blue smoke) that can clear up, but they don't effect oil pressure.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:21 PM
amw_drizz
Junior User
so it looks like the motor might need a rebuild in the future? is there any other way to help undo some of the damage done?

Old 02-14-2005, 05:28 PM
wozxxx86
Senior User
try sae 30...just unless the temps arnt gonna drop below 40 that is. that helped me slide fora while. but yea the bearings are warn. so when they warm up the clearences get bigger so the oil pressure isnt kept up.

Old 02-14-2005, 05:58 PM
amw_drizz
Junior User
would it be easier to rebuild or replace... which would be more cost efficent

do you think it will last atleast till the end of june so i can do either a rebuild on the motor or a replacement on it. it will go back & forth to school and up to ny and back to nh a few times.

Last edited by amw_drizz; 02-14-2005 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:33 PM
94 XLT White/ Silver 302
Elder User
my oil pressure dropped like your saying. I went to Ford and bought a factory oil pressure sending unit and the oil pressure went back up to over half way on the gage
. And has been there for the past year. My mileage is now 141,000 I had an autozone sending unit it earlier and it died in about six months so I would buy Ford. If you want to be sure what oil pressure you have put a mechanical gage in.

Old 02-14-2005, 06:54 PM
RLKBOB
Senior User
Replace the sending unit but you can't really rely on it, it's just a glorified idiot light. Check oil pressure with a mechanical oil pressure gage before you condemn this engine.

Old 02-14-2005, 07:18 PM
amw_drizz
Junior User
the oil pressure light is not on. but i am just worried about the oil pressure. as is in my dash i have a mech. gauge for the oil pressure and it is at the "n" of normal. i will be changeing the oil this weekend to 10w-40 along with the attempt to get rid of the old black oil still in the engine. i just changed it sunday went out earlier today it was black and smell of old oil. so it is going to need a change a gain

Old 02-14-2005, 08:03 PM
88 Bronco
Junior User
The oil smell may be from oil spilled on the exhaust. I had the exact same problems with my oil pressure when I first bought my Bronco. I did an oil change and lost oil pressure. I replaced the sending unit and it would only go to the "O". Then I hooked up a mechanical gauge and I was running 50 PSI. Do yourself a favor and install mechanical guages.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:07 PM
amw_drizz
Junior User
how would i install mech gauges???

Old 02-14-2005, 08:23 PM
JBronco
Postmaster
I would not worry too much about it, the gauges are unreliable and as long as there is not engine noise then your pressure is ok.

A good thing to do, though, is the following. Put a quart of Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase and drive for at least 500 miles. Then change the oil and use a quart of Lucas instead of one of the quarts of oil. I have also had great success with that stuff in the silver can called Restore. It really does work.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
88bronco is correct about the gauges being a joke. Mine runs on the N and it has 65 lbs of pressure on a mechanical gauge. I would suggest that you skip the 10w-40 oil. If the engine has been sitting you need to run a thinner oil to breakdown any sludge or deposits in the motor. The heavier oil won't do this. I would suggest using Exxon Superflo 5w-30 available at Wallyworld for $0.94 and using three qts of it with two qts of Mobil One 5w-30. The Superflo is the same as Mobil Drive Clean only cheaper. The M1 will be the flush as it will clean it quicker without doing any damage. Mixing the two is not a problem with additive clash and the Superflo will take care of the seals. FWIW, some of the Autozones have been running Mobil One on a buy three, get three free, sale. Might want to check in your area as they are moving out the old M1 for the new Mobil synthetic line such as the 5000,7500,and 15,000.

Old 02-14-2005, 10:40 PM
rksiewert
Junior User
Talking Low oil pressure

I would be alittle careful about using a higher weight oil in the engine. The engine was designed to run on 5w-30 for a reason.Oil does several things in the engine. First is lubrication. For it to lubricate, it has to make its way from the pan to the top of th engine via the pump and the various oil passages in the engine. Critical to the pressure is indeed the space between the bearings and the crankshaft. This is where the pressure is actually created. The oil pressure sending unit is measured at the top of the block where it is the least.

The second thing that oil does is to help cool the engine by absorbing heat and bringing it down to the oil pan where it can cool a little. To do this, you need to have a certain volume of oil flowing through the engine. This volume is achieved by using the 5w-30 weight oil. True, you can use a thicker wieght oil to increase the pressure, but the volume of oil will decrease proportionally as you increase the weight of the oil. At most, I would only put a 10w-30 in there to achieve a slight increase in pressure.

I would look more to cleaning the inside of the engine with a good flush such as a BG engine flush. I have found that their product, although pricey, are well worth it. After all, you may have a restrictive passage bay the pressure sending unit. A very common problem on ford small blocks, especially if they have been sitting for awhile or have only been used on short trips.

Then, I would change out the sending unit as others have suggested. After the engine is cleaned out, try a high quality oil like Mobil1. Use the Mobil 1 filter as well. I always do in all my vehicles (8) and the newest one I own (95 Bronco) also has the least amount of miles (195,000) on the original engine and trans. No problems yet!

Try these before giving a death sentence to your engine. Might save you a bundle!

Ray

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure