1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Removing the bed, how many bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:13 AM
JoeSwing78
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing the bed, how many bolts?

Hey Dudes,

I was going to remove my bed this week but was curious how many bolts there are so I can just unbolt it and with some friends pull the entire thing off, fenders and all.

thanks-!

Old 02-28-2006, 03:33 AM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 bolts is all thats holdong the bed and fenders on. (at least on my truck)

Fun and easy!

Rich

Old 02-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Joe -

If you pull the supports with the bed, you only need to pull the bolts holding them to the frame. There are (2) at the front rail, (2) each at the center rails, and (2) at the rear sill, total = (8). Four guys can easily handle the weight of everything. Dropping the running boards and rear bumper makes it easier to get up next to the bed when lifting it. You can either roll the bed assembly over on the floor and rest it on the rails tops, or attach 5-foot long 2X4's to 2 sawhorses and set it on them.

I use a cherry picker and the 2 sawhorses to do most all of it myself. You will need help of one person on the other side of the bed floor when removing (6) of the bolts, unless your arms are 8 feet long.

Old 02-28-2006, 10:31 AM
JoeSwing78
Senior User
Thanks guys, I am waiting for some parts to come in so that I can put my hood back on and have it properly aligned, and actually open! The bed is coming off because its crap...to put it lightly. My main conern now is replacing the front cab corners they are rusted through. I know they have patch panels that aren't that expensive. I'm just stressing that a shop would charge me quite a bit to cut and weld in the new ones. I can design, build, and program a website but I couldn't weld to save my life. =)

Old 02-28-2006, 03:34 PM
papabills54
Senior User
bed bolts

eight bolt on the bed. I had a body shop do my cab corners [all four] and they did a pretty good job. cost me 1400.00 but they also filled quite a few holes on the cab and re hung my doors. cab looks pretty good but i would like to chop the top as well. Im still debating that. New shop wants to charge me 1600.00 plus I have to buy another top. 3000.00 sounds like alot for a driver but I want it to look good. I bought a new bed, new fenders [3" wider rears] new fronts plus a new steel front valance and new grill. [56]. Bobs f100 did a volare front end with 9"rear end and power brakes but they got me. Ive had to redo most of there work myself and it is looking pretty good now. im almost ready for paint. Im into this truck not counting my time about 14,000 but just spending time in my garage with all my toys has been well worth it.