Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Value V8 ? Hurricane V8 twin?

Old 02-11-2005, 05:01 PM
f460
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Value V8 ? Hurricane V8 twin?

Having read some recent scuttel on the "Hurricane" engine program makes it look like one part of the V8 engine program might be cancelled, but not the Value V8 engine.
The quote "Hurricane" V8 had all the "bells and whistles" as in direct cylinder fuel injection. The Value V8 is the same engine with different heads and a more conventional fuel injection system. I was told the Value V8 was approved at least a couple of months ago for production.Suppliers have been waiting too see if the "Hurricane" direct injection version would be approved. So it looks like Ford will build this engine in the present manner with port fuel injection and "drive by wire".
I do know that a supercharged version is undergoing testing in a suspicious looking Mustang running around Dearborn. So we shall see.

Old 02-11-2005, 05:42 PM
valenrandy
Senior User
so then in other words the program consisted of 2 v8's. One being the regular, and the other being the supped up one. Ford canceled the fancy one but kept the regular one? If its like that I guess its all good. Is it still going to be 6.1?

Old 02-11-2005, 06:00 PM
f460
Junior User
Yes, the same displacement. The only direct injection gas engine that I am aware of that is available in the US is the new Mazda Speed 6 with a direct injected version of the 2.3 in the Ranger that is turbocharged. Mitsubishi had one but from what I've heard the commitment Mitsu made to direct injection financially
"broke" them. I have heard that the problem is the injectors clog in use even though they had thought the problem was surmountable. Could be that Ford was not able to get any more favorable result with a direct injected gasoline engine for truck duty, and decided on a more conventional approach.

Old 02-11-2005, 06:19 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
f460......Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, even the ones at the top of each forum ...it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE.

We are pleased you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE …..See you on the boards.

Old 02-11-2005, 07:20 PM
valenrandy
Senior User
well I hope thats the caseand we will see our new engine. 06?

Old 02-12-2005, 12:30 AM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
f460, where'd you hear this from. I don't want to run you off of FTE or anything, but I see this is your first post here and it would be nice to have some credability to this info. We all like getting the inside scoop on things like this, but there are so many times when a member will post "the latest news" or "I heard this" and nothing ever becomes of it. Thnks though for the hope that Ford may not have completely killed off the Hurricane.

Old 02-12-2005, 05:52 AM
captchas
i personally don't think ford fully canceled the Hurricane ,but more or less may possibly have have said canceled when it was sheveled, any one ever hear the names fitch from germany or orbital from down under land. these are the 2 early d.i. designs that have been worked over and perfected. look into outboard motors, both big name companys use them, vw will be the next to step up to the plate with d.i engines here in the us. they have them over seas right now, 2.0l 16 valve twin cam turbo at 207 hp. this is something we will imm see more and more of as we try and clean up the air of mother earth. in my 40 plus years as a mechanic i have seen many many engines of yesteryear come back to be what we have now. ohv's from the late teens or early 20's, ohc's the 20's, hemi the 20's,ohc hemi the 20's,4 valve the 20's 2 sparks per cyl. the 20's, even alloy engine blocks and heads the 20's "bentley and morman" port fi the 50's.electronic fi as we know it 68 really sooner if you read fords book on fuel injection. immo the cane will be back not soon but future. i have seen to many things in the auto ind. sheveled and come back as much stronger long running items immo. right now it looks like ford is trying to save the bottom line and looking into the crystal ball of the future to save the company. again this is immo

Last edited by IB Tim; 02-12-2005 at 07:29 AM. Reason: SP
Old 02-12-2005, 10:56 AM
f460
Junior User
Sorry I can not say too much as the whole engine project has always been very secretive, case in point NO one from Ford has ever publicly admitted that ther is any "Hurricane" V8 engine program. This makes it hard to cancel ie. A program not officially
recognized. All I get is the "background noise" being employed in the supplier end of the business. Evrything that has been in print is based on a Detroit News article, that Ford would not comment on. A link to the article that got everything started is on the ASE website pertaining to the 2004 Rawsonville plant contract for you "web surfers".
Suppliers are sworn to keep the project under wraps until Ford says it Officially. The article on the ASE web site got the curiosity of a reporter at the Detroit News. Basically what happened is that Ford promised work to the Rawsonville Plant that was originally headed for Mexico, that include the fuel system for the "Hurricane" and " Value" V8 engines. Now you know where the whole thing got started.

Old 02-12-2005, 11:31 AM
f460
Junior User
AG4.0 and others interested check American Society of Employers June 2004 issue on Visteon Rawsonville plant contract, I checked and the article is "online".

Old 02-12-2005, 08:35 PM
wnorman1192
Senior User
Any info on the output of the hurricane vs the output of the "value" v8? I had heard rumors of 350hp for the hurricane, so I guess the value v8 would be less. It will have more potential than the 5.4 just due to its size, and Ford definately needs a larger v8, even if it's not quite as hot as what they had originally planned. Just build it already!

Old 02-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
I'm more inclined to believe Ford employees
http://www.blueovalnews.com/2005/pro...ane04feb05.htm

Old 02-12-2005, 10:39 PM
LilFord4x4
Freshman User
Not to be the sour apple of the crowd but I'm not too upset or bugged by them not building the hurricane. I think the 5.4 could get about 15-20 more lb ft of torque personally. And isn't the hemi sales falling at a somewhat steady pace now? Not trying to change the topic at hand. But maybe Ford realized that making this engine wouldn't really do much to getting them out of the hole.

Old 02-12-2005, 11:19 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
No Hemi sales are not falling. Ram sales are. The take rate on the 5.7 Hemi is 46%. They can't keep 'em on the lots. I think the 5.4 is tired at this point. Ford should start fresh with a new V8 in the next few years.

Just my .02

Old 02-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Justis01
Junior User
I'm satisfied with the 5.4 L engine in my '05 F150. It would be nice to see a larger gas engine as well as a diesel offered in future F150 model years.

Old 02-13-2005, 12:28 AM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I thinkthe 5.4 is fine, they just need to do some major improvements to it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Value V8 ? Hurricane V8 twin?