Colorado Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Got a quote for removal of old motor and install of reman..YIKES!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 02:25 PM
MineralStang
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a quote for removal of old motor and install of reman..YIKES!!

Hey everybody. I first want to say that Ryan Engine exchange looks like a great stand up company to me. I e-mailed them last friday night and Bill called me this morning about my inquiry into removing my motor and putting in a reman 390. I guess they just don't do 390's a lot any more so the price is high. He quoted me $3297 for everything from towing it to them (if I can't get it to run) to removing and installing a reman 390 in it. So thats all inclusive. He also told me that a clutch (which I need) would cost me about $250 and no labor. I would love to do business with a place that treats their customers like it seems they do. I wonder if he would let me buy my own long block and have them install it. Its just tough at this point. I bought the truck for $900. This cost is huge compared to what I spent for it. I just don't know if it would be worth it in the end and what I could get for the truck if I ever sold it. What is everyone elses opinions? I also put an inquiry into Colorado engine. You have all been so much help...I need some more at this point!

Nate

EDIT Just got off the phone with Colorado Engine about their ability to do this swap for me. Talked to Larry, nice guy. Quoted me $2550 for removal of old motor and installation of the reman 390. Towing he would split if I needed it. Quoted me $300 more for the clutch if I wanted it done. This price seems a whole lot more reasonable for me. Motor has a 5yr/50,000 mile warranty on it. Please help me with your opinions! Has anyone ever delt or heard of Colorado Engine? Thank you!

Last edited by MineralStang; 01-24-2005 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:50 AM
f250rangerexplorer
Posting Guru
Not a member of your chapter but i'm just curious couldn't you swap in a motor yourself for the cost of the motor? Or do you not have the ability(no offense) to swap them(ie: elderly, or handicapped, or not experienced enough, etc)? you could purchase a Block in cali and build it for $1500-$200 depending on your need or performance needs.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:56 AM
Mike G
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well Nate, the cost is just about right... I think my dad once bought a motor from the Colorado group, way back when. Didn't have any complaints.. If you talk to the gang at Ryan again, you will probably find that the cost of the long block is in the same range as everyone else, like $1500, it's the removal and install that adds hours/dollars to the job. Of course you will usually never get back what you put into something, it's the way autos work... Step back and get your carburetor issues (maybe fuel pump too) resolved (from the FE post) and see what the motor does for you then. Take a look into my gallery, the motor in there is at about $2300 of just parts and machine work, that excludes the amount of time it has taken me to get it that far. I could have gone long block, but I wanted something special...

--Mike

Old 02-05-2005, 02:59 AM
DCP
Senior User
Your first mistake was buying a Reman Motor instead of having your old one rebuilt buy and engine shop for about the same price. Secondly, it cost too much to take anyting to the shop now days. You should of put the motor in yourself because the FE motor are simple to remove and install. Third of all, most shops get their parts from dicount part stores and charge their customers O.E.M prices.

Old 02-08-2005, 06:05 PM
MineralStang
Senior User
Hey DCP.....I appreciate the constructive criticism but don't be jumping to conclusions. I HAVE NOT YET replaced the motor. I'm not an idiot and I'm not going to Pep Boys or Auto Zone for one of their motors if I do. Secondly, The motor in the truck right now is trashed. The entire engine compartment is covered in oil and so is every working part below the engine on the front end. I don't know what happened in the past, but this has been a HARD 160,000 miles for this motor. It also had 14 quarts of oil in in and was run on that amount for at least the last 10000 miles. I'm not even sure if the block is still good, or anything else. I live in an apartment complex...so yeah no big deal, I'll pull the motor myself. Come on...I've already been threatened with a tow twice because of the truck sitting for more than several days. I'm at my whits end and I'm just looking at every option. Not trying to jump on you...but everyone has been really helpful and you have been the first person to be negative to me yet. I do appreciate your input though. Thank you.

Old 02-11-2005, 03:15 PM
qman
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the engine run? Mine was also covered in oil and ran like crap but I rebuilt the carb, put in a new distributor (had a broken spring in it which was why it ran like crap), new belts, hoses, fluids, and a gallon of Simple Green soap. Not to mention a lot of little things. Now the engine runs good and smells pretty. I ain't trying to be sarcastic but the previous owner of my vehicle neglected it like a poor step child. All it needed was a little maintenance. It still ain't pretty, but it's clean.