2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything you would have done different on your purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 09:32 PM
FX4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Anything you would have done different on your purchase?

Hi All,

I am in the process of making the final decisions on my first F150 purchase, an '05 F150 FX4 4x4 Supercab and I wanted some feedback from you. I am curious if there are any options you went with that after having lived with the truck for a while you wished you went with another one.

The options I added are:
Deluxe Mirrors
Towing
High back cloth buckets with console shift
Power pedals
Rear window defrost
Bright polished tubular running boards

I am also interested in any add-ons that are available for exhaust and intake that do not void the warranty coverage.

Thanks in advance for any feeback you can share,

Rob

Old 02-08-2005, 09:45 PM
TestPilot
Junior User
FX,

My only advise if you are ordering a truck is to get EXACTLY what you want. What might be a $600 option now, will seem like nothing 8 years from now. My only food for thought would be that I got the bench instead of the buckets/console and have already had 6 people in the truck a few times. An extra seat may not be an issue for you but it's been important for me.

TestPilot

Old 02-08-2005, 10:09 PM
rodneysch
Junior User
Mine has the backup sensors and power rear window, which I like a lot.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:20 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
I have to agree with "Testpilot"... For the amount of $$ your spending, get what you really want. I bought an 04 4X2 Screw Lariat with the following:

3.55 LS gears
Tow package
power sliding rear window

I wish now I had spent the $$ for the DVD system. Yes, its a $1200 option, but with kids it would sure make long trips more enjoyable for them. I liked the floor shifter, but went with the bench seat for the extra seat as well. Good luck on your purchase!

Old 02-08-2005, 10:57 PM
truebluefx
Junior User
I got every option put on my True Blue FX4 Supercrew and love it, the only thing I didn't get was the power moonroof. But if I wanted a convertible I would have got a car.

Old 02-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Blue Blooded
Senior User
There are a few things(aren't there always?)
1. Optional 18" FX4 wheels ( I added them later)
2. Radio controls in steering wheel(if available on FX4)
3. Heated seats. I have black leather.( BTW,the center console is the best!)
4. Back-up sensors ( this body style's bed is higher and harder to see that Accord behind you)
5. Better radio(have the single CD player, and sounds just OK not great)
I love the truck w/o them, these are just little "niceties"

Sounds like ya picked good options, my wife always uses the power pedals, and the deluxe mirrors are the way to go. Congratulations and good luck.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Toreador
Elder User
When I purchased my truck I did not want the reverse back-up sensors. But now I'm very glad to have them!! Saved me a couple of times already. Well worth the cost.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:44 PM
1brannon1
Freshman User
I would have bought a supercrew lariat 4x4. I did buy a FX4 regcab 4x4. I am happy with it, but if I were to do it again I would go with the supercrew lariat. I actually had two trucks parked side by side. One was the FX4 regcab and the other was the supercrew lariat. I took my father along as a consultant :-). He talked me out of the lariat and into the FX4. We live and learn. Next one will probably be about a 07-supercrew lariat, Oxford white/Arizona beige, the biggest engine they have then, side step bars and all the bells and whistles. I’ve already sent my letter to Santa for December 2006 for a new 2007 model F150 Lariat Supercrew.

Old 02-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Sometimes I wish I had gone with a supercab but I really like my reg. cab XLt 4x4 flareside. If I had it to do over again I may have gone with a styleside bed instead, it is easier to find a topper for it or a toolbox to fit in it. The flareside bed on this thing is too wide for a compact pickup toolbox and not wide enough for a fullsize toolbox.

But since I might get a camper top for it I have to get one for a flareside, since my next truck will most likey be a styleside bed I don't want to buy a topper now and another one in 5 years or so when I get a different truck.

Old 02-09-2005, 02:29 AM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have a super crew lariat 4x4
i got
power slider-pretty cool
audiophile-great option
skid plates-not the best but probably saved me from some scrapes atleast
heated seats-never use them but the girlfriend and sister does
tow package-dont need but the hitch lets me pull my buddies out on snow trips plus the tranny cooler should help some
reverse sensors-saved me many times
floor shifter- that thing looks cool
im sure theres a few more cause i got everything except the moon roof which i really want now but its not a big deal on the cars i never use them.

the bench seat would have been helpful but i like the way the console and shifter looks too much. i would like the girl a little closer sometimes but on trips we are comfortable and the slackers that are bumming a ride in the back can fed for themselves. if i had to do something different i woulda gotten the moonroof and i probably woulda gotten a new 250 diesel instead. i love the way those sound and i could have used the better fuel mileage for road trips.

Last edited by blitzen25bm; 02-09-2005 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:29 AM
FX4
New User
Thumbs up Thanks for making me feel welcome!

Hi Again All,

Wow! Thanks for making me feel welcome with all the feedback, I do appreciate your input.

I will be adding the back-up sensors for sure after reading your comments and I think I will look harder at the audio options as well.

How is the '05 for keeping the rear window clear in winter? I like the idea of a slider but am leaning toward the rear window defrost simply for visibility/safety.

Have any of you got the Ford tonneau cover and what are your thoughts on it? Is it ok in an area where the truck has to sit outside or does snow on them cause a problem with stretching? I obviously would clean it off ASAP but we do get the odd bit of snow up here in Canada

Again, thanks for all the great feedback and for making me feel welcome.

Rob

Edit: One other question I forgot; not to get into brand wars by any means but what feedback do you guys have on the BF Goodrich vs Goodyear tire options? Most of my driving will be on the highway with maybe 10% in either mud or snow. I will not be doing a lot of gravel other than on camping trips etc; living close to the GTA you have to go looking for gravel...lol

Last edited by FX4; 02-09-2005 at 03:33 AM.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:53 AM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I hae th hankkok stires on my 04 and they are probably the smoothest riding set of reads I have ever had. Not real aggressive so they mght be perfect for what you are going to do with them and they seem to be wearing very well (as is not wearing down much after nearly 15xxx) miles.

Old 02-09-2005, 05:45 AM
Blue Blooded
Senior User
I have the rear slider, and my rear window has NOT frosted or even so much as fogged here in Jersey, and we had some very cold days this winter. I would recommend the power rear slider(especially nice w/ the moonroof, which is also a very nice option)

Old 02-09-2005, 06:37 AM
who1975
Senior User
I have a 05 XLT 4x4 Supercrew
I have the 5.4L engine, rear slider, backup sensor, captain's chairs, tow package, tubular running boards

I wish I would have gotten the audiophile system, sunroof or dvd player and the keyless entry key pad. And maybe the FX4 instead. But, I am pretty happy with the truck.

FX4- in regards to the tonneau, I bought a trucktek tonneau on ebay for $132.00 plus $22 shipping. It is great. I have own a couple of trucks and have always bought estang classic tonneaus. They are great. I like to have all stock parts but could not justify paying at least $100 more for a Ford tonneau that would do basically the same thing as my trucktek tonneau. hope this helps.

Old 02-09-2005, 06:45 AM
DonsFx4
Elder User
FX4...don't forget that in your neck of the woods, a block heater and the upgraded mirrors (w/ heat) would be well worth it. As far as the rear window, I've never had problems w/ it fogging up, and I like the manual slider.

The tow package is a great deal even if you never plan to tow at all...the xmsn cooler, HD alternator and batt, and oversize radiator will help for the entire life of the vehicle.

I do wish I went with Audiophile, but it wasn't critical at the time of purchase (having some extra money on hand was!!)

And I am a Flareside man for life! Good luck with your purchase!!