Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator SPONSORED BY:

Old 11-12-2014, 12:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic

Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Freshman User

903ASP is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabjoe View Post
Stuck rotor here too!! I was using the bolt and nut to put pressure on the rotor, but that doesn't work.. At least on this '01 Expedition.. After reading this complete thread, I see people are cutting their rotors off. I don't have a sawzall, but I do have a 3" cutoff wheel. I'm guessing I can use it instead of a sawzall, but I need better instructions and picture would be best.

I keep seeing pie cut, when I read about the sawzall method. What am I suppose to do? Do I cut a pie slice shaped wedge from the outer rotor edge to the outer edge of the hub (The rotor would look like it had teeth like a gear) or and I just cutting the surface of the rotor, to the center then trying to crack it with a wedge?

Pictures or a youtube video on the sawzall method please.......
I used my 4 1/2" angle grinder, with a 1/16" cut-off wheel Crab. I cut straight across, and completely through the rotor. Be careful when you get to hub, so as not to cut through that. In fact you don't have to cut completely through near hub, just a deep notch. Then back at lip of rotor, cut a little pie shape ">" out of cut you just made through rotor, so wedge/chisel lip, has a place to set in. Then use a large hammer, or small sledge, and give it a few good whacks. Mine split/spread the rotor after third whack, and rotor slid right off. Good luck Crab
Old 07-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Senior User

BAD RONALD is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Stuck rotor here too!! I was using the bolt and nut to put pressure on the rotor, but that doesn't work.. At least on this '01 Expedition.. After reading this complete thread, I see people are cutting their rotors off. I don't have a sawzall, but I do have a 3" cutoff wheel. I'm guessing I can use it instead of a sawzall, but I need better instructions and picture would be best.

I keep seeing pie cut, when I read about the sawzall method. What am I suppose to do? Do I cut a pie slice shaped wedge from the outer rotor edge to the outer edge of the hub (The rotor would look like it had teeth like a gear) or and I just cutting the surface of the rotor, to the center then trying to crack it with a wedge?

Pictures or a youtube video on the sawzall method please.......
On my '01, I drilled three 1/4" holes about 1/8" apart in a straight line in the rotor. These were located towards the outer edge. I was careful not to go too far once through. I put the corner of a chisel in the top hole and drove it down with a ballpeen hammer. The steel is brittle enough to crack without hitting it too hard, in fact it splits easily. Note that it is not necessary to break the rotor in pieces to get it off. After it cracks, things loosen up so that it comes off as intended.
Drilling does the same thing for you that a sawzall or grinder would. If I had come across the nut and bolt method, I would have tried it first. Once those factory rotors were removed, all replacements have been generously coated with anti-seize. Never any difficulty getting them off since.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Post Fiend

alloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to allalloro is a name known to all
Quote:
I keep seeing pie cut, when I read about the sawzall method.
That just means to do 3 cuts about 120 degrees apart, instead of just 2 cuts 180 degrees apart. With only 2 cuts, if they're not dead across from each other, the larger half will still be difficult to remove. As to not having a sawzall, you'll thank yourself if you go and get one. It doesn't have to be a $200 model, just one of the cheap $30 ones. Once you own it, you will find many good uses for it.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:26 PM
New User

Sloshkong is starting off with a positive reputation.
Post I posted how I did it on YouTube

As mentioned by one of the users on this thread I had no luck getting off the rotor with the bolt trick method because they were so stuck on. I used an angle grinder, sawzall, Dremel tool, hammer, wd40, and bolt trick and it did the work. Go ahead and watch for yourself.

part1

part 2

part 3
Old 05-05-2013, 03:49 PM
New User

Sloshkong is starting off with a positive reputation.
Post Stuck rusted rotor removal

Part 4
Old 08-24-2014, 12:07 PM
New User

jerseydairyman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mark your a genius,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman1969 View Post
2nd paragraph contains instructions:
I just wanted to add a little advice to this area. I spent 3 hours trying to remove a single rusted on rotor on my 2000 exp. Everyone says use a bigger hammer... well I did. A 3 lb hammer, 5 lb hammer and a 10 pound sledge. I also tried a can of deep creep and wd40. I also tried... heat and impact tools. Then I tried 30 minutes of searching on the internet. Finnally, I found the correct advice somewhere (I cannot find it again) so I wanted to pass the information on to the rest of you because those three hours were so #$%^&*. This is a very neat trick.

After removing the caliper and the caliper bracket you have 2 nice holes to work with to help you remove the rotor. Go buy a few 1/2 inch bolts at least 4 in long with nuts. Slide the bolt through the caliper bracket hole from the inside of the truck towards the rotor. As you slide in the bolt, place a nut on the bolt between the caliper bracket and the rotor. Hold the nut while tightening the bolt. The end of the bolt will push against the rotor and the the nut will push against the caliper bracket. Tighten the bolt as much as you can.. I mean really tight. Put on the second bolt in the other hole. After getting them both as tight as possible hit the rotor with a hammer. See if it moves at at all. Try tightening the bolts again. Hit it again. If it doesn't come off yet. Losen the bolts, turn the rotor 1/2 way try it again. On the first rotor it only took tighten the bolts once. On the second rotor it took 2 rotations of the rotor. 3 hours of pounding on the first rotor then 5 minutes with the bolt and the rotor popped off. On the second rotor it only took about 10 minutes to get it off.

Hope this helps a few of you... I wish I could have found this trick right away

~Mark
Mark thank you very much.
My 2003 F350 consumed the better part of a afternoon. It ran many years in the salted roads of Wyoming and the excessive heat of California. It took on turn of rotor with tightening bolts and came right off.

Thank you again
Old 08-24-2014, 12:16 PM
New User

jerseydairyman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thank you

Thank you your a genius.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:16 PM