Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2005, 10:06 PM
New User

01WhiteRanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
5R44E or 5R55E?

Tranny for a 2WD:
Hi, this is my first post to the transmission forum.
2001 3.0L, 5 speed automatic, XLT, 2WD

I have a question. My 5 speed automatic transmission is bad and I want to replace it. The tranny plate PN is 1L5P-AA. I have a 3.0L engine. I am trying to find out if I can use a 5R55E in my truck. I have confilicting information from the web and my manual. The manual says I need a 5R44E, web sources also say 5R55E. I believe the 5R55E is heavier duty and was developed for the 4.0L engine. Can the 5R55E be adapted to my 3.0L engine?
Old 10-16-2006, 05:54 AM
Freshman User

Nick37 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did you ever get the answer to your swap question. I have a ranger with a bad 5r44e and can only find a cheap used 5r55e. Can they be swaped?
Old 10-20-2006, 08:15 AM
Posting Guru

385seriesHemi is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Both are basically the same transmission with more or less steel & friction plates n such. Those trans were meant for ranger or explorer use since they aren't huge transmissions, maybe some cars whos knows. But if there actually is a differance in the circle bolts I wouldnt know y the trans wouldn't swap with the other.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:00 PM
New User

I have an '01 automatic. This is what I know:

The 5r44e is verry smiilar to the 4r44e, but has different comupter strategy that energizes the overdrive band in first gear, to create the added gear ratio.

The only difference I found so far between the 5r44e and the 5r55e is the torque capability. So, if the bell housings bolt up...then it should work - no guarentees though, have not tried it myself.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:54 AM
Freshman User

The bell housings on the 5r44e (4cyl and 3.0 tranny) and the bell housing on the 5r55e ( 4.0 only) do not match. I still wonder if you could just switch the two bell housings. If the plugs do not match then I guess it would all be a waste of time and money.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:55 AM
New User

I understand that the wiring is the same. Wonder if the bell housing are interchangable?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:14 PM
Posting Guru

Clubwagon is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteRanger
I understand that the wiring is the same. Wonder if the bell housing are interchangable?
The bellhousing is half of the pump body. You change the bellhousing and you have to change the pump too.

Also, the 4.0 5R55E has a different torque converter than the 5R44E and they are not interchangeable.

You need to get the correct transmission for your truck and that is the 5R44E.

Steve
'95 Clubwagon XLT
Old 01-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Freshman User

ticker is starting off with a positive reputation.
2000 3.0 with a 4r44e 4 speed. Can I swap with a 5r55e 5 speed without doing anything else?
Old 01-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Freshman User

I ended up getting a cheap tranny from Rose Auto wreckers. It was an exact match and an easy swap. It works much better than my old tranny but has a delay going into reverse. I guess you get what you pay for it was only $550 suposedly only about 15k miles.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:40 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case

Tags
5r44e, 5r55e, bell, bolts, converter, delay, differences, ford, housing, ranger, reverde, reverse, specs, torque, transmission