1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Power door locks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 08:50 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Power door locks?

To expand power door opener question: Anyone install remote locking (not latch) solenoids with stock locks retaining outside handle and key function?

Old 02-07-2005, 01:28 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
AXracer, Hi,

I just wanted to log on here because I would like to do the same thing,

Wayne

Old 02-07-2005, 01:52 PM
fatfords
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AX,
If I remember correctly (and that's a big "if"), you could drill a hole in the "lock" arm that moves to stop the button from being pushed from the outside. I believe this is already a vertical movement, so adding a solenoid below that point with a rod attached shouldn't be too difficult. Now whether the key will still work may be an interesting dilema. It may depend on the type of solenoid used and whether it can be moved without power being applied.

Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2005, 02:32 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
The solenoids I have trip from movement of the lock mechanism or from a remote control, not from a separate button. I haven't taken the door apart to examine the mechanism in detail yet. I'm swaping the inside handles for some recessed ones from a 2001 Miata that have lock levers with them. They use cables rather than rods.

Old 02-20-2005, 07:54 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I have added pic to my gallery on the remote lock install. It is very easy if you want to retain the original handles and lock as long as you use a system that trips when the actuator senses movement (no separate button). I am using Miata inside handles with the original outside handle and lock, but even that was a fairly easy install.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:24 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know about the Miata recessed handles, but I do know you can put the door lock mechanisms onto your locking mechanism and still keep the door handles in tack. We did it to a friends truck. The door handle itself operates with a screw that pushes against an arm releasing the door. We removed the screw so it wouldn't function. On the locking mechanism there is another piece which connects to the door key (I know on 56's) to lock the door with a key. That piece which connects the lock to the mechanism was also removed. He fabricated a "L" shaped bracket to mount the solenoids to the locking mechanism. Pretty simple. The hard part is getting your arms up in the door to connect/ disconnect everything. My friends truck not only locks the doors by remote, he can pop the doors open as well.

Last edited by imlowr2; 02-20-2005 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:31 PM
B/B ford
Clean & Classy

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Axracer, Thanks for the pics on your lock mechanism, it looks like something I can manage to do to my truck also.

You Miata handles look really smooth and natural .

One question, Were you able to retain your key lock ability?

thanks, Wayne

Old 02-21-2005, 11:38 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Yes, everything else functons as before including locing with the inside handle. The tab I drilled almost looks like it was designed for this.

Old 02-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the great info. What are the solenoids from?

Old 02-21-2005, 03:37 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
The solenoids are from a electric door lock kit I bought on ebay. I'll be using my remote control alarm to activate them remotely. I bought a 4door kit so I could have a solenoid for my panel's rear door lock as well.

Old 02-21-2005, 05:41 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
Ax

Ok I have to ask, how can you retain the inside locking feature with a handle that pulls inboard and uses a cable instead of a solid link?

Another Chuck

Old 02-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
I will take a guess that he is actually pulling down on a handle piece internally to the door? Or he mounted the solenoid so it is in front of the handle with the cable pulling on the rod to lock it in place. The cable would not bind up if you moved the handle from the outside.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:31 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
? Not using any cables, it's all solid linkage. What may be confusing you is that I am only locking and unlocking the door remotely, not opening the latch. The latch is still being opened manually with the stock outside handle and the Miata inside handle, I am not shaving the outside handles or the locks. The lever I drilled to connect to the solenoid is the locking lever. it moves up and down with the solenoid to lock and unlock the door hence the solid linkage so it can push as well as pull. The OEM inside handle pulls/pushes with a steel strap to another lever (see the picture of the mechanism) that also trips the lock lever if you pull the handle up. I removed the post where the original handle went and drilled two holes for the Miata handle linkage, one for the lock and one for the handle. Should the power fail I can still operate the lock with the key, or if I want I can lock the door with the key from the outside without setting the alarm.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:46 PM
merc546
Posting Guru
Ok my mistake I thought the inside handle was cable operated but I'm still a little in the dark about how your solenoid operates. The ones that I have are pull only, by looking at your picture and what I think you just said, I am left with the impression that yours are both push and pull. If thats so then my questions were just to get a higher message count.

Chuck

Last edited by merc546; 02-21-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:11 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
AX

Slick mod. Please do keep us posted as you finish up. I'm also a little unclear how you are going to lock and unlock. If that is even your intent here?

P.S. Your wife know you're using the Miata for a donor car yet? I admire a man with true courage.

Quick Reply: Power door locks?