Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

2002 Explorer rear axle seal problems

Old 02-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

When they call me on Monday to tell me whats going on how should I handle it? Should I debate them on the phone on what Ford will cover or tell them to fix it them debate them when I go to pick it up?

Old 02-14-2005, 05:02 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Well just got back from dealership. They told me axle bearings are bad which has been causing my alxe seals to go bad. Total bill around $670, Ford is going to pick up all but 10%. So I pay roughly $67, I can live with that. But wait theres more, they also found both wheel bearings to be shot, one really bad and one just getting started. I was told with no history of wheel bearing problem I wil have to flip the bill. Because this is a totally different issue and would not cause my axle seals to leak? So my total bill will be roughly $670. Not sure what to think other than my rear end is junk and I need to fix it. They have provided us with a new F-150 since Thurs and they will go over everything with a fine tooth comb because they don't want to see me again. So I have mixed feelings, could of been worse(I guess?). Any opinions. Thanks.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:04 AM
Montana55
New User
Originally Posted by Rob.D
Well just got back from dealership. They told me axle bearings are bad which has been causing my alxe seals to go bad. Total bill around $670, Ford is going to pick up all but 10%. So I pay roughly $67, I can live with that. But wait theres more, they also found both wheel bearings to be shot, one really bad and one just getting started. I was told with no history of wheel bearing problem I wil have to flip the bill. Because this is a totally different issue and would not cause my axle seals to leak? So my total bill will be roughly $670. Not sure what to think other than my rear end is junk and I need to fix it. They have provided us with a new F-150 since Thurs and they will go over everything with a fine tooth comb because they don't want to see me again. So I have mixed feelings, could of been worse(I guess?). Any opinions. Thanks.
Good that Ford is footing most of the bill on the axle seal problem, but sticking you with the wheel bearing bill. Think if it we're me, I'd keep going up the chain at that dealership (to the owner, if you have to) until I got someone to listen. Wheel brearings shouldn't be going bad on a 02 at 45,000 miles & frankly, they know it. If you don't get satisfaction from the dealer, I'd ask to speak with the Ford Rep. in your area. The dealership can set you up with him. Tell them how disappointed you are with the troubles you're having. (that shouldn't be there) And if the Ford Rep. doesn't help you, I'd contact Ford Motor company directly & let them know what you're going through. I had the good fortune of having the owner the dealership (Kitty Van Bortel) in my corner, so that helped tremendously in resolving my problems. Hopefully, someone at your dealership will be your corner & give you the help you should be getting without a fight. Keep going up the ladder till you get some help. You shouldn't have bad wheel bearings at 45,000 miles. Good luck Rob.

Old 02-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
I guess Im just to nice of a guy sometimes. I work in the service trades and hate it when customers point the finger at me when it's the manufacture that's got the problem. Not sure if I'm going to pursue it any farther or not. I know the wheel bearings should of not failed, but I guess that's why they sell extended warranties. At $700 I am still well under what any extended warranty would have cost me. But when it rains it pours, got another call from dealership this afternoon. I was having the recall on the lift gate window done, they shattered the glass while removing. Will be another 3 to 5 days before they can get the glass. Then after it's installed it needs to go to the body shop to be painted (glass). The manager said it comes in primed, I'm a little confused on this one. I'm going to have to stop back in there to get a better explanation on this one. She talked about the Ford emblem? Not really sure? The pain continues!

Old 02-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Montana55
New User
I guess Im just to nice of a guy sometimes. I work in the service trades and hate it when customers point the finger at me when it's the manufacture that's got the problem. Not sure if I'm going to pursue it any farther or not. I know the wheel bearings should of not failed, but I guess that's why they sell extended warranties. At $700 I am still well under what any extended warranty would have cost me. But when it rains it pours, got another call from dealership this afternoon. I was having the recall on the lift gate window done, they shattered the glass while removing. Will be another 3 to 5 days before they can get the glass. Then after it's installed it needs to go to the body shop to be painted (glass). The manager said it comes in primed, I'm a little confused on this one. I'm going to have to stop back in there to get a better explanation on this one. She talked about the Ford emblem? Not really sure? The pain continues!
As long as you're satisfied, that's all that counts. Too bad about the recall mishap. What they're referring to that has to be painted, is that area just below the glass where the Ford emblem is. I've seen other threads where cracks we're devoloping there, because that whole piece is actually plastic. That was something I never realized because I never had the problem. Always thought that piece was steel or aluminum. The threads mentioned how it had to be repainted when it was replaced because the new piece doesn't come painted. I'm sure that's what she was trying to explain to you.....that's why she mentioned the Ford logo. The painting has nothing to do with the glass itself. It'll become clear when you see the vehicle again. You'll see that separate piece with the Ford logo, just below the glass. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2005, 03:20 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Thanks again Montana55

Old 02-17-2005, 08:48 AM
Z400Pilot
New User
I was having the recall on the lift gate window done, they shattered the glass while removing.
Rob, The recall on the lift gate window, do you know what years that applied to? I have an 04 and I never received notification for that recall so I'm guessing it is for earlier models.
Thanks.

Old 02-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
I'm not sure what year explorer's the recall includes? Maybe give your dealer a quick call or check out Fords website.

Old 06-08-2005, 08:46 PM
emba129
Freshman User
Cool 04 Explorer XLT Rear Axle Leak

17K Miles and a puddle of 90 weight on the floor on my 2004 XLT.

104K miles on my 94 XLT and dry as a bone!!!!!!!

Ford... you are killing me!!!!!!!

Does anyone else see this problem.. Will a replacement set of seals work or is something else causing it..

Excuse the "terseness" but Im frustrated with this car!!!

Thanks
Chris

Old 06-13-2005, 09:49 AM
penrod
New User
Originally Posted by Montana55
...What they're referring to that has to be painted, is that area just below the glass where the Ford emblem is. I've seen other threads where cracks we're devoloping there, because that whole piece is actually plastic.
Is that plastic piece included in the recall?
Ours is cracking and we just took it in for the rear liftgate glass recall this morning (along with some humming from the diff, hard shifting, and stalling in the morning when shifting from R to D). Good luck to me, huh? I've got an aftermarket extended Warr, but they still find some way to rape us whenever it goes in (for the same problems each time!!)

Old 06-13-2005, 04:19 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome Penrod, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.