2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger/Turbocharger questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Toreador
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Supercharger/Turbocharger questions?

It appears there are multiple Superchargers and Turbochargers soon to be released out on the market for our F150s. Seems costs range from $4,000 and up so this is not a mod investment to be taken lightly. I have a few questions for those who have had experience with them:

1. Brief explanation of the difference between the Turbo and the Super chargers?
2. Do you need headers and a complete exhaust change also if you get the Super/Turbo chargers installed?
3. Do you have to run premium fuel to get the full benefit of the chargers or can you use the 87oct.
4. Will the added 100 (or even far more) horsepower shorten the life of the engine and by approximately how much?
Thanks.

Old 02-04-2005, 07:58 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
toreador
the differnce in super/and turbo charges is more than this but 1big deffernce is that turbo uses cooled spent gases on the exhaust side to turn the fans where the supercharges use a belt or simular.short the motors life? not so sure but the constent boost with the supercharger can wear faster.by design turbos got to built before you boost.you drop the throttle and you have a delay before the turbo boost where the supercharger is always there.my cousin has a lighting with 5.4l with a supercharger and it has somewhere around 180000 miles on it and its still a dream to drivemy 98 cobra has a vortec that i installed at 20ooo miles and it now has 83000 miles on it with no problems.i hope this helps a little.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:36 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, turbos don't use cooled spent exhaust gases, they use the hot exhaust gasses, right off the exhaust manifold. Turbos due to the turbine speed and heat, need to have oil delivered ot the bearing, and for longevity should have cooling water to cool the bearing in addition. Turbos are very sensitive to the size of exhaust flow systems and headers sizes as opposed to superchargers. Turbos turn at a very high rpm as opposed to superchargers. Superchargers provide boost from right off idle to the top of the power curve. Turbos require more plumbing work than superchargers.
Premium fuel is a must to run both so max boost pressures can be realized. Also, both kits must have the programming capability to provide spark, and fuel curve adjustments to the onboard ECU.