pure hydogen fuel .....

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 05:55 PM
mino54
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile pure hydogen fuel .....

coming very soon... UNITED NUCLEAR working on a system in its final stages of testing. STRAIGHT FROM WATER.. just like your batteries.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:49 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting, but doesn't it take more energy to extract hydrogen from water than you can get out of it?

Old 02-19-2005, 03:42 PM
mino54
Freshman User
to a point yes.
but , i read that braking even cost is gasoline to cost @ $3.50 per gl and we know its coming.
just like gasoline 100 years ago was used as a stain cleaner in laundrymats eventualy it evolved to commercial fuel, hydrogen is the same once cost is profits it will take off.
if you have time read the story about henry ford and his marihuana fields to make fuel to power his production cars, its HISTORY .

ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY.

regards.

mino54.

Old 03-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Hypoid
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rusty70f100
Interesting, but doesn't it take more energy to extract hydrogen from water than you can get out of it?
GO SOLAR!

My wife's oldest son asked me about using Hydrogen based fuel with internal combustion engines last year. My queries produced a few links for him to follow up; much easier for him.

Because his dad has been installing Photo-Voltaic systems for 20 years, he has inroads to new technology:

He mentioned something about a Hydrogen generator that uses high potential-low current (in the milliamp range) across a grid to release Hydrogen; a very efficient system.

He's also told me about the latest and greatest in Photo-Voltaic; a coating on Mylar film that will continue to generate if the panel is damaged. This tech was developed for use in space. The Military is studying it for communications, set up a tent and you have power for the equipment that goes inside. It's not a stretch to have body panels that generate electricity.

His questions centered around safely storing, and using the stuff. We may well see his vision of fueling up with a garden hose.

Mike

Old 03-05-2005, 04:12 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I could see that. I just take issue when people dont explain where they're going to get the energy. I could see it just as easily having a coal powered plant supplying the electricity to preform the electrolysis, causing more polution than the gasoline would have caused. It would be cheaper than buying oil and it would be legal. Unfortunately, this is the way I see it going.

If you leave the solar plant on 24x7 and have 100's of acres devoted to solar cells, then I could see the solar plan working. Remember, there is no free lunch. It is ALWAYS going to take more energy to split water into hydrogen and oxygen than you get out of it. Otherwise, the law of conservation of energy would be broken and you could create a prepetual energy machine. It's just a basic law of physics / chemistry.

The advantage to hydrogen is that you can store it. Have your solar powered hydrolysis machine going all day and drive your car an hour or so. I'm not saying it cant work, but it might not be practical. Having body panels that generate electricity would not guarantee unlimited driving; you would still eventually run out since you'd most likely be consuming more energy than you produced. Now if it recharged while parked and off, then maybe you could get away with it.

My 2 cents anyway.

Old 03-13-2005, 11:56 PM
Howdy
Posting Guru
I'm not up on my coal burning, and I don't really have the time for it since it's on the way out. We run mostly hydro and a little wind out here. With these two the energy is there whether it's used or not. I can elect to go on a plan where my power is cheaper at night.

Wind farms are hopping up all over the place. http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumeri...heets/ad2.html might be a good site to check out.

The technology is improving on solar roofing material. This could help. Any power saved on a residential basis can be used for industrial.

Technology is overcoming the old "it takes too much power" neighsayers.

But I respectfully disagree that running solar plants 24/7 will solve the problem - they don't do the night thing well..

Old 04-08-2005, 01:46 PM
hawk
Posting Guru