Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2005, 02:07 PM
New User

ahsi is starting off with a positive reputation.
towing with p(passenger) rated tires

I have an 04 f150 screw (5.4. 3.73 gcwr 15k gvwr 7k)which will be towing a kz frontier 2809(29feet, 7000gvwr but weigh only 6200 loAded).Anyone towing with the standard stock tires bf goodrich rugged trail p275/65 18(max payload 2600 35 psi)?oR DO i need to change to LT(light truck) tires to accomodate the extra load.Take in mind that this is the truck i will use for daily commute and probably will use the trailer approx 6x/year.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:37 PM
Elder User

Eric C. is starting off with a positive reputation.
Every time you overload them you are putting yourself and anyone on the road at risk. You may be able to do it but every time you will be taking a bigger chance. Also if you are involved in an accident and the investigation shows you knowingly exceeded the capacities you can be held criminaly liable. The only way to be sure is to weigh the truck and the trailer to check the weights on the axles. Do not trust the info stamps go with actual weights.

I Love the smell of Diesel in the Morning, It's the smell of $$$$$$$
Old 02-02-2005, 09:06 PM
New User

The o4 f150 5.4 3.73 has a tow rating of 9200 lbs and a 6200lb trailer weight fully loaded is far from being overloaded.The question is whether my P rated tires which came as stock can handle the load ok as compared to a LT c or d load rated tire.The truck rear gawr/gross axle weight rating is 3700 lbs fully loaded(so each tire should have a maximum load of 1,850 pounds).The tongue weight of the trailer is 550 lbs.The p rated tires have a maximum payload capacity of 2,600 lbs each and combined rear tire payload rating should be 5,200 lbs.Anyone out there who have noticed a difference using LT tires for towing as opposed to a p rated tire?
Old 02-02-2005, 10:32 PM
CO River Rat

Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
ahsi -

The following is from fourwheeler.com:

"The load/inflation formulas developed for LT designated sizes are different from those for P designated sizes because light trucks have higher load and service needs. Light-truck tires may have an extra casing ply, an extra belt, a stronger belt and/or a larger bead with more sidewall rubber.

So LT-rated tires tend to be heavier than P-rated tires. In order to properly select passenger tires for use on light-truck vehicles, reduce the load capacity of the passenger tire (at any inflation) and the maximum load capacity molded on the sidewall by 9 percent each."

Steve

Smokestone 2010 Fusion SE 3.0L for Wifey

"I used to be wishy-washy, but now I'm not sure"
Old 02-02-2005, 11:01 PM
New User

If i have the extra $850 right now i might consider changing my passenger tires to the Light truck tires for the extra belt/casing ply.From my research it looks like there is not much difference in payload capacity between my P tire(bfg 2600 lb at 35 psi and an LT E load rated tire(2550 lbs at 80 psi for a continental contitrac) even with the 9-10% adjustment.I've heared from some forums that the LT tires have better stability when towing but of course these are subjective opinions.I'm not sure if i want to sacrifice a smoother ride for a harsher one since this truck is use for my daily commute and of course the extra expense of replacing a set of tires that still have 40,000 miles of threadlife.I guess i'm not too sure about fords reasoning of putting passenger tires and not light truck tires for most of their newer f150.I'm hoping they did the safety study of these tires in heavy payload/trailer towing situations .Built FORD tough but how about the tires?
Old 02-02-2005, 11:17 PM
CO River Rat

Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Steina is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
ahsi -

How sure are you of that tongue weight? Most recommendations are 10-15% of total weight.

Steve

Smokestone 2010 Fusion SE 3.0L for Wifey

"I used to be wishy-washy, but now I'm not sure"
Old 02-03-2005, 06:48 AM
New User

steina,
The 550 lbs was a typo, it should be 650 lbs.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:58 AM
New User

Also,The continental contitracLT E load rated tire is 3400 payload capacity at 80 psI.Its the goodyear wrangler LT C load rated is 2550lb at 60 psi($200 each)Which is not much different with my P rated BFG rugged trail at 2600lbs at 35 psi payload capacity.I could not find any D load rated tire for my truck.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Senior User

swheeler is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.swheeler is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Regardless of the load capacity ratings, you will get a much better (more stable) ride from the LT tires. I suggest going with at least a D load range, possibly even an E load range.

As for the daily driver ride. When not towing inflate the tires to the suggested psi on the door sticker on your truck. I only inflate mine to 80 psi when towing. When not towing, I run 45 in front and 55 in the rear as per my owners manual.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:02 PM
Post Fiend

rebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud ofrebocardo has much to be proud of
I just want to point out if you go to a LT tire that requires 80 psi your rim might not be rated for that high of an inflation pressure.

> I guess i'm not too sure about fords reasoning of putting passenger tires and
> not light truck tires for most of their newer f150

Most people do not use them as trucks and when you sell 900,000 trucks x 4 tires x cost savings of at least $5 per tire you save = $18,000,000 each year. Ford goes with the absolutely cheapest tire they can arm wrestle from the tire OEMs. The Firestone vs. Ford fight over the Explorer tires makes that clear.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:32 PM
Senior User

BarryFS is starting off with a positive reputation.
My experience of using P tyres to pull a trailer that heavy (6000 LB) has been that the cords snap, and deflate the tyre. LT tyres can handle the side and braking forces, and driving on gravel roads.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:35 AM
Elder User

willd is starting off with a positive reputation.
At the very least I would invest in a set of spare wheels and go buy a set of LT's for the back. When you want to go on a trip throw them on. That or sell the P's you have in the paper to somebody who doesn't know any better.

If you take the P's off and put them next to LT's feel the sidewall, Especially right at the corner where the tread stops and the sidewall starts. The P's will be very thin and soft. The LT's will be thicker and harder.

I'm not saying that the P's will blow out and hurt something, but why take the chance. You don't tow a 20K pound trailer with a Crown Vic, why use the same type tires?
Old 02-08-2005, 03:35 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Towing, Trailers & 5th Wheels

Tags
boat, f150, f250, lt, maximum, passenger, put, rated, tire, tires, tow, towing, trailer, truck, weight