Oil & Lubrication  

Fuel Injector Cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 12:22 PM
dgreen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Injector Cleaners

I think we can all agree that whether you use dino or synthetic, change every 3k or do a UOA to set up a legitimate extended interval, or whatever system you use, we all know the importance of changing oil at the right time.

My question is - if we change oil at appropriate intervals, is there any real benefit to using fuel injector cleaners on a well maintained engine?

If so, does anyone know of any good injector cleaners that don't use kerosene?

Old 01-31-2005, 01:05 PM
cmlind
Senior User
I use an injector cleaner once in a while. Don't know if it really does much good, but can't hurt much either. I don't have one that I really like over others. Have used Pyroil, Stp, Gumout or Marvel mystery oil. I never really paid attention to whether they have kerosene in them or not until JET FUEL started being advertized by STP. Since that has been on their bottle I haven't bought any of their stuff. If they are stupid enough to put that on there, I am smart enough not to trust their product. What harm could kerosene do anyway?

Old 01-31-2005, 03:03 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I will, on occasion, buy a bottle of the higher-end total fuel system cleaner products. They are about $5 for a bottle.
I honestly don't know if they make a big difference. I think not only of the injectors but also of the valves, etc that might have buildup. I have never seemed to suffer from problems that one might attribute to clogged injectors or bad deposit build up. I do not say this is a result of using the occasional bottle of fuel system cleaner. I might have had the same result if I had never used a drop.
I buy major brand 87 octane gas and assume the detergents added to today's gas do a decent job of keeping the injectors, etc. clean.
I'd guess I've bought 4 or 5 bottles of the stuff in the 156,000 miles I have on my 2000. If I have wasted money, in the whole scheme of things, it hasn't been that much.

Unlike some "just pour it in" products, I don't know of any problems that might come as a result of a bottle of fuel system cleaner.

Old 01-31-2005, 04:38 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Berrymans Chemtool B-12 is a toluene and acetone based injector cleaner. Toluene is used as an anti-knock agent in some gas formulations. Acetone is a hot (meaning it evaporates FAST) keytone and works great for cleaning the system. It is also a plasticizer and as such should be used in small amounts and only as an occasional cleaner. I use acetone purchased from a home center and add 6 oz to a full tank of gas, run the tank thru the engine and then change the oil. It's tempting to run it in every tank as it is also 150 octane and you will notice the difference in performance. But don't run it full time as it will eventually do damage to the plastic parts in the fuel delivery system.

Old 01-31-2005, 05:53 PM
mountravlr
Senior User
I have used 2 products: RXP and EssentialLube by Hydrotex. The latter I get for free at work, used at the ratio of 1:100. I don't know if it works, but there are no problems with the F-150 at 92,000 miles.

Old 01-31-2005, 08:06 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
BTW, real jet fuel is just a grade of kerosene, so if it's okay in cleaner's, it's okay if it's labeled as "jet fuel". Which by the way is very low octane, but it's a pretty good solvent.

Old 02-01-2005, 04:46 AM
Ed
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I too have used Berrymen's Chemtool B-12 FI cleaner in my Aerostar van, on occasion. However, I always try and use a nearby brand name gasoline, that is always busy (however, I go there either very early in the morning or late at night. Long lines, with vehicles pulling in left, right, front, back, sideways etc. are annoying and a waste of time!) I also use some isophyol dry gas, once a month, every month, year around. I realize here in northern California it's not necessary, but old habits growing up in NE OH are hard to break. Also, a product called Sea Foam is suppose to be excellent for maintaining injectors. Auto Zone, in my area, is now stocking it. Anybody else famalier, or using Sea Foam?

Old 02-01-2005, 01:14 PM
travlnman
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep, I use it regularly. I usually let the engine ingest about 1/3 of a can through the vacuum line to the brake booster. Then I put the rest in the tank, usually with the tank at 1/2 or less. Let the engine sit for about 30 min., then start it up, it'll smoke like it's on fire. Rev it up, then drive it for about 5 miles. Don't spare the ponies. It'll smooth out the idle, and it's supposed to clean the carbon out of the cylinder's.

Old 02-01-2005, 05:20 PM
Golfmore
Senior User
I use BG 44K twice a year in a Mercedes, BMW, and a 92 XL 4.0.

Old 02-01-2005, 08:31 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by travlnman
Yep, I use it regularly. I usually let the engine ingest about 1/3 of a can through the vacuum line to the brake booster. Then I put the rest in the tank, usually with the tank at 1/2 or less. Let the engine sit for about 30 min., then start it up, it'll smoke like it's on fire. Rev it up, then drive it for about 5 miles. Don't spare the ponies. It'll smooth out the idle, and it's supposed to clean the carbon out of the cylinder's.

I do the same thing right before a oil change.

All I know is, that it is friggin cool leaving that 2 mile stretch of white smoke behind my F-150 with dual exhaust!!!

I almost wish I had the courage to make a pass by some sort of "Save the Earth" march or something!!

Last edited by superrangerman2002; 02-01-2005 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:32 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
That "edit" button is way too close to the "quote" button!

Last edited by superrangerman2002; 02-01-2005 at 08:35 PM.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:42 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Flash
Berrymans Chemtool B-12 is a toluene and acetone based injector cleaner. Toluene is used as an anti-knock agent in some gas formulations. Acetone is a hot (meaning it evaporates FAST) keytone and works great for cleaning the system. It is also a plasticizer and as such should be used in small amounts and only as an occasional cleaner. I use acetone purchased from a home center and add 6 oz to a full tank of gas, run the tank thru the engine and then change the oil. It's tempting to run it in every tank as it is also 150 octane and you will notice the difference in performance. But don't run it full time as it will eventually do damage to the plastic parts in the fuel delivery system.
Flash,

Have you measured a noticeable gain in mpg by using 6 oz. of Acetone???

My intial thoughs would be that 6 oz of 150 octane Acetone, would be totally insignificant in a 25 gallon tank of 87 octane gas.

Would it be safer to run 3 oz on a regular basis??

I've noticed that a lot of posters on BITOG really swear by Fuel Power and Lube Control products...any comments??

http://lubecontrol.com/

Last edited by superrangerman2002; 02-01-2005 at 08:46 PM.