2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Aftermarket rims on a 2005 F150 will ruin the truck!!!" Ford says...

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 06:07 PM
Slim823
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Aftermarket rims on a 2005 F150 will ruin the truck!!!" Ford says...

I just recently leased a 2005 F150 FX4. I spoke w/ a few of the service people at the Ford dealership about putting some rims on the truck (Im thinking about getting some 22's or 24's) and they just went off on me! They said it would void my warranty on anything that dealt with the tires, such as my speed sensor, module that controls it, and my transmition. They said my dash is going to light up and my truck is going to stop be cause the speed sensor is going to be thrown off and my transition will not know what to do and I will have to pay out of pocket to fix everything! (They also said the tires would throw off my speedometer and since everything in the vehicle is electronic that it would throw everything off including this $1,000 module that controls my transmition and I would have to pay to replace it). I think it is all crap to tell the truth, but I just want to do my own research before I do anything. I know I've seen many trucks with aftermarket rims on them and their trucks are running fine. What happens if you have to buy new tires and you dont get them from ford? will the truck just stop running?!? It doesnt make sense to me. I thinks its all a lie. Can anyone give me some advice?

Old 01-29-2005, 06:29 PM
bigsherm77
Junior User
It is total crap. It will throw off your speedo but it won't break anything. I corrected my speedo and transmission shift points with a computer programmer but went without it for a couple of months with no problems.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:02 PM
PhrEEkSh0w
Senior User
Ford would have to be insane to design a vehicle that could not function with custom wheels. Personalizing one's car/truck is more popular than ever. U.S. automotive aftermarket sales totaled $183 billion in 2003.

It would almost be suicide for any manufacturer to design a vehicle that could not tolerate the most basic custom upgrade, WHEELS. I think someone has been huffing too much exhaust in the shop. They may want to improve ventilation during the winter months.

Like bigsherm said, your speedometer would be a little off but that can be corrected. Go get your wheels and then post pictures on the forum!

Old 01-29-2005, 07:29 PM
JS66
Junior User
Go to a different dealership. The only thing that will do is effect your speedo. and that can be recalibrated. There are so many 04 and 05 f150's in my area with aftermarket wheels and tires. They are not having a problem. There are aftermarket companies that put accessories including aftermarket wheels and tires on brand new cars and trucks and the dealerships sell these cars and trucks. They also repair them under bumper to bumper and extened warranty.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:06 PM
Steina
CO River Rat

Slim -

Seeing as how Ford (and probably GM and DC) are trying to cut warranty costs, I'd be careful about how I modded a new vehicle; if a warranty claim is denied, you're stuck with repair costs PLUS the lease payment. Sure, you can appeal, but that's a long dark road to travel.

If you were considering rims close to/same size as stock, maybe you wouldn't have heard the "outburst" from the service people.

Unless you're going to buy this truck when the lease is up, you'll probably have to put the stock rims/tires back on to avoid additional charges; check with the leasing company for their input about mods you're considering.

Welcome to FTE!

Steve

Old 01-30-2005, 02:52 AM
blitzen25bm
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dealers even have cars/trucks that are already fixed up. dont listen to them. i dont think an fx4 would look nice with 24s though. unless you get like a huge lift and some 40 inch tires to go on that.

Old 01-30-2005, 06:30 AM
thedavo
New User
Sam Galloway, a fairly large dealer in Fort Myers, Florida sells f150s with large, aftermarket wheels right off their showroom floor.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:07 PM
WhiteNight
Senior User
Even G.M. offers custom wheels for trucks but up to a maximum of 20 inches. Have you ever lifted on of these wheels? They are extremely heavy and I can see why vehicle manufactures are coming out against these super sized wheels.I've read a number of articles that tested braking and steering and both were adversely effected.Hey I want a larger set of wheels as well, but for me I'll be going max 20 inches

Old 01-30-2005, 03:48 PM
R.W.F.
Freshman User
ya the dealers hear in arkansas sell'em with after market wheels already on them to

Old 01-30-2005, 05:14 PM
bigsherm77
Junior User
As well as you speedo, you odometer will be off as well. You dealer may also be worried about your odometer underestimating the total number of miles on the truck and if it is leased, I can understand their concern. This problem is also fixed with a computer programmer from a company like superchips or hypertech.

Old 01-30-2005, 05:30 PM
ford crewcab
New User
dealers in georgia will put about anything you want on the truck to be able to sell it

Old 01-30-2005, 06:03 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
Why would you lease a vehicle and then put a bunch of aftermarket mods on it? You will probably have to return the vehicle to its original configuration at the end of the lease and then your out all the $$$ you spent.

Old 01-30-2005, 06:11 PM
BlkButy
Elder User
You can turn in a Leased vehicle with aftermarket Mods on it. If anything it increases it's value to the dealer when they try to sell it again. I have leased the last 3 vehicles now and have turned them in modified and no problems.

Old 01-30-2005, 06:13 PM
bcjim
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ATCS2004
Why would you lease a vehicle and then put a bunch of aftermarket mods on it? You will probably have to return the vehicle to its original configuration at the end of the lease and then your out all the $$$ you spent.

Thats what I was wondering.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:55 AM
BillC
Elder User

Originally Posted by BlkButy
You can turn in a Leased vehicle with aftermarket Mods on it. If anything it increases it's value to the dealer when they try to sell it again. I have leased the last 3 vehicles now and have turned them in modified and no problems.
Still, you spent all that money to "personalize" your vehicle, then get rid of it after a couple of years. I know it's your money, just seems like a waste.

Quick Reply: "Aftermarket rims on a 2005 F150 will ruin the truck!!!" Ford says...