Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

PowerStroke MPG v.s. Cummins MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 06:06 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
a TSB about bad tie rod ends on the trucks.
On what year SD has this happened, never read or heard of a TSB for this.
A TSB is usually when something cannot be fixed, how can Ford… not fix a tie rod issue.

Old 01-31-2005, 08:07 AM
Megalodon1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I just thought of one thing that I think we can all pretty much agree GM has done better than Ford or Dodge - their locking rear axle. I've heard lots of complaining about the limited slips in both Ford and Dodge trucks - not too much complaining about the Eaton locker.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:45 AM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
As far as GM having injector issues, those were only for the 01/02 trucks and the issue has been resolved with new redesigned injectors and does not include the newer trucks 03+. :

General Motors has extended the Duramax 6600 fuel injector warranty coverage for owners of all 2001/02 model-year Chevrolet and GMC Duramax 6600 equipped pickup trucks. Special Policy #04039 was sent to all current registered owners in June of 2004 indicating that additional warranty protection is now available for a period of 7 years from the date the vehicle was placed into service or 200,000 miles - whichever occurs first.

The above photo was taken at the DMAX engine production facility located in Moraine, Ohio in March of 2001 during our first tour of the plant (TDP photo). These are boxes of new LB7 Duramax fuel injectors, ready to be installed in new engines. The next photo shows a cut-away of an LB7 fuel injector (Ron Wong photo).

This is a no-cost warranty extension, and you may be eligible for service cost reimbursement if your vehicle required fuel injector(s) replacement that was not covered by the original 5-year or 100,000-mile engine coverage. Reimbursement for a prior injector replacment will be limited to the cost equal to that when performed by an authorized General Motors service center. Your local servicing dealer can help you with claim forms and assistance in determining coverage.

Two distinct types of failures are mentioned in the special policy as being included in this new extended warranty - high fuel return rates due to cracked injector bodies and/or ball seat erosion. Other types of failures are not mentioned, and coverage and/or reimbursement for any other type of failure under this special policy will be determined by your servicing dealer.

Cracked injector bodies and/or ball seat erosion can result in the illumination of the SES (Service Engine Soon) lamp, low power, hard starting, or fuel dilution of the crankcase oil. It is my understanding that GM identified these problems early, and worked with Bosch (fuel injector manufacturer) to correct the problem.

Please contact your local dealer or call GM's customer assistance center at 1-866-996-9463 if you have any remaining questions.

As for the cummins, I couldn't find any recalls or TSB's on the 05, but the 04 had basically an issue with possible knock under load while going up hill, and a PCM update. The Powerstroke seems to be having issues with its injection system with multiple reflashs, and a complete deletion of its origion injection design with a new diesel-possibly a complete drop of the 6.0- in 2007.

Old 01-31-2005, 11:11 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 150ford
Where did you get your figures for diesel market share. I believe they are wrong. Last time I checked Ford sold more diesels then GM and Dodge combined.
Before the 6.0 launch. You would be correct.
http://biz.yahoo.com/wsj/050113/sb11...5625766_2.html
Bottom of the page.
Cummins reported in late november that they were on target to sell over 150k units this year to dodge, its early enough they havent released the sales for the entire year yet. They also had a banner year last year too. These last two years cummins has added over 20% in sales each year. Where do you think all the interest is coming from?

Ford in 00 and 01 was selling in the 300k unit territory. Less than 200k is a huge drop in sales. You are correct though. Ford used to outsell dodge and chevy combined. The last two years fords sales have been in the low 40% of market share. As you may know. To sell more than the competition combined. You must sell over 50% of the trucks produced. The 6.0 costed ford 100k units in sales a year. Bet ford is loving this new engine. Real boon to the company. Now the TS is acting up. I dont think a lot of people are impressed. If history repeats itself. Owners will accept the tranny problems and engine problems as status quo and buy a new one anyways. To be truthful Im suprised that 100k customers walked away. Shows the market is changing. The diehards aint so diehard anymore.
Its a tight competition and the competition is closing in. The 7.3 was epa certified for one more year. Ford shoulda worked the bugs outta the 6.0 before they launched it. Now they have lost 100s of millions in revenue and repairs. Some trucks have warranty repair tickets of over 30k dollars.

Last edited by Logical Heritic; 01-31-2005 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:14 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbluebronco43
As far as GM having injector issues, those were only for the 01/02 trucks and the issue has been resolved with new redesigned injectors and does not include the newer trucks 03+. :

General Motors has extended the Duramax 6600 fuel injector warranty coverage for owners of all 2001/02 model-year Chevrolet and GMC Duramax 6600 equipped pickup trucks. Special Policy #04039 was sent to all current registered owners in June of 2004 indicating that additional warranty protection is now available for a period of 7 years from the date the vehicle was placed into service or 200,000 miles - whichever occurs first.

The above photo was taken at the DMAX engine production facility located in Moraine, Ohio in March of 2001 during our first tour of the plant (TDP photo). These are boxes of new LB7 Duramax fuel injectors, ready to be installed in new engines. The next photo shows a cut-away of an LB7 fuel injector (Ron Wong photo).

This is a no-cost warranty extension, and you may be eligible for service cost reimbursement if your vehicle required fuel injector(s) replacement that was not covered by the original 5-year or 100,000-mile engine coverage. Reimbursement for a prior injector replacment will be limited to the cost equal to that when performed by an authorized General Motors service center. Your local servicing dealer can help you with claim forms and assistance in determining coverage.

Two distinct types of failures are mentioned in the special policy as being included in this new extended warranty - high fuel return rates due to cracked injector bodies and/or ball seat erosion. Other types of failures are not mentioned, and coverage and/or reimbursement for any other type of failure under this special policy will be determined by your servicing dealer.

Cracked injector bodies and/or ball seat erosion can result in the illumination of the SES (Service Engine Soon) lamp, low power, hard starting, or fuel dilution of the crankcase oil. It is my understanding that GM identified these problems early, and worked with Bosch (fuel injector manufacturer) to correct the problem.

Please contact your local dealer or call GM's customer assistance center at 1-866-996-9463 if you have any remaining questions.

As for the cummins, I couldn't find any recalls or TSB's on the 05, but the 04 had basically an issue with possible knock under load while going up hill, and a PCM update. The Powerstroke seems to be having issues with its injection system with multiple reflashs, and a complete deletion of its origion injection design with a new diesel-possibly a complete drop of the 6.0- in 2007.
Sorry bigbluebronco the new duramaxes are still having injector issues. I guess you havent read the latest forums on the duramax. Logical I need some hard numbers for actual sales. My Ford dealer and he is one off the biggest ones around says Ford has outsold GM and Dodge combined. Somebody is not telling the truth. Well get to the bottom off this somehow.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:33 PM
Megalodon1
Senior User
Sorry bigbluebronco the new duramaxes are still having injector issues. I guess you havent read the latest forums on the duramax. Logical I need some hard numbers for actual sales. My Ford dealer and he is one off the biggest ones around says Ford has outsold GM and Dodge combined. Somebody is not telling the truth. Well get to the bottom off this somehow.
Dealer?...now there's an unbiased source! I've had Ford dealers tell me Ford was going to be using the Cummins soon. I've also heard from many a Ford dealer that Ford owns Cummins - and they insist with this sort of stuff, yet you and I both know these things to be untrue.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:35 PM
bigbluebronco43
Elder User
Thats fine and dandy about the injectors, but at least they have a fix for it. You completely ignore the fact that Ford has ongoing issues that they can't sort out with the 6.0-including its injection system. Take a look on 6literpowerstroke.com and count how many reflash's people are having to have done-some have over 20. Your Ford dealer may be the biggest in your area, and may be selling more than the others, but that doesn't reflect total sales.

Old 01-31-2005, 02:32 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
150Ford

"Dodge well I wont go there just avoid that route."

Come on. Lets hear all those Cummins issues, don't hold back, enlighten us. Why avoid it? Oh.....maybe because tha lack of issues with the Cummins would make Dodge look good in your eyes for once!

Show me 1 Cummins issue 150Ford, and I'll show you 10 6.0 PSD issues. Face it, the Cummins is a better diesel than the 6.0. Its no secret.

Last edited by Musclecar_Fan; 01-31-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:42 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
The only thing about Ford and Dodge that I see on your link says "Still, Ford leads the U.S. consumer diesel market, selling nearly 200,000 F-Series diesels last year, almost twice the number of the Dodge Ram, its nearest competitor." Nothing about the Cummins.

Old 01-31-2005, 02:43 PM
Bushwhacker
Senior User
I have a 2004 6.0L PSD with absolutlely no problems or flashes...Only problem is driving it all the time with a big grin! Averaging 15 mpg with winterblend and lots of idling. Was getting 19 prior to the cold stuff. This is a CC4x4 with 3:73. Test Drove Dodge prior to Ford and for me the difference in MPG isn't worth the difference in the trucks. That's why I drive the Ford. But again that is MY choice.

Old 02-01-2005, 03:25 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 73Fastbackv10
The only thing about Ford and Dodge that I see on your link says "Still, Ford leads the U.S. consumer diesel market, selling nearly 200,000 F-Series diesels last year, almost twice the number of the Dodge Ram, its nearest competitor." Nothing about the Cummins.
Cummins is going to release its numbers tomorrow. In late november they said they were on target to sell over 150k units. That link I posted is from the wall street journal saying that ford sold less than 200k diesels this year. Thats not good considering ford was selling over 300k units in 2000 and 2001. huge drop in sales. Dodges on the other hand are up.
http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/m...leaseFINAL.cfm
2nd quarter 2004.
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...27/178173.html
4th quarter 2003. Cummins delivered 128k units in 03. They were well ahead of this in 04 by november. We will see the end results in the next 10 days.
2003 was a record sales year for the Dodge Ram pickup, with Cummins shipping 128,200 engines - a 28 percent increase over 2002.

Old 02-01-2005, 03:02 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the clarification on the link.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:17 PM
utahtom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bushwhacker
I have a 2004 6.0L PSD with absolutlely no problems or flashes...Only problem is driving it all the time with a big grin!
I believe that would be the 6.0 Grin

The Dodge folks lurking might disagree but my Buddy with a Cummins 600 gets about the same 15-16 mpg average as I do with my 6.0. Although, there is a significant difference between our trucks...
My 6.0 toasts his Cummins 600

Old 02-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by utahtom
I believe that would be the 6.0 Grin

The Dodge folks lurking might disagree but my Buddy with a Cummins 600 gets about the same 15-16 mpg average as I do with my 6.0. Although, there is a significant difference between our trucks...
My 6.0 toasts his Cummins 600
I looked into it a year back and it looked like the 6.0 did better on mileage than the cummins. I found about a 15 mpg average for the cummins.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:52 PM
Caterpillar Man
New User
Thumbs up

You posted this question on a Ford Bias crowd so the responses are undoubtedly going to for the ford, except for mine. Im glad to see that you may consider a dodge. I love the old fords but the new fords I dont think are that great anymore, infact I have shifted to the Dodges when it comes to Deisel trucks. Consider the engines, The cummins is a proven engine, its torque to RPM is unmatchable, the internal components are bulletproof and massive, and the fuel system is much better in my opinion. Did you know that the powerstroke fuel system is designed by Caterpillar? I think that Cat leads the industry in most everything, but I have seen the downfalls of the HUEI fuel system that you would find on the Ford. Way over engineered, Costly Parts and Costly repairs, not near as reliable as the Compitetion. The Dodge truck itself is as good as the Ford, they have come a long way. If you go with the Dodge, you will not be disapointed, you will get better fuel mileage, better torque, a much more reliable and long lasting engine, and a great truck. Dont let these Ford guys get you down about the Dodge because the Dodge is as good a truck and better in my opinion. Go Try them out and find out for yourself.

Quick Reply: PowerStroke MPG v.s. Cummins MPG?