Flowmaster/Intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 09:17 AM
slmann
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flowmaster/Intake

I already have a flowmaster muffler and I'm about ready to get a Mac cold air intake, but recently I have read some post here regarding problems with cats and MAF after having these on your truck. My question is are these common problems or does it just occur occasionally? Any info would be appreciated.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:40 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
The cats may, and more than likely will start to rattle/chatter. Mine only does at idle, and i dont mind it so much. I'm just going to gut them one day and get some hi-flows.

I've never had a problem with my MAF or the MAC intake. I think the problem is with over oiling the filter. But it comes pre-oiled, so just toss it in and start driving around with the WHOOOSHing sound....pretty damn cool if you ask me. I like the intake more than my flowmaster.

Old 01-29-2005, 01:59 PM
slmann
Postmaster
Just want to make sure I'm not spending money and then having to spend more to get other things fixed. I had a K&N fipk on previous Ranger I owned and never had a problem, but I did not keep it very long after I put it on.

Old 01-29-2005, 02:12 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
as long as the rattling cats doesnt get so bad that you can't stand it, then you're fine. I don't see that happening, but just want you to be forewarned.

It's not even the whole muffler thing either, a lot of fords are just notorious for that. My coworker's ranger does it, and it's completely stock. Well, he does have a sticker on his tailgate, and an alpine cd player.

low, what is your knowledge on this subject?

Old 01-30-2005, 10:03 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with manster, you'll probably get the rattling cat problem, but it's not too bad. I have the FM and have rattling cats too.

Don't worry about the Intake. As long as you are careful and don't damage anything electrical during the installation, you should be fine. And manster is right, it's already pre-oiled, so don't oil any more on it.

Old 01-30-2005, 10:40 AM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
thanks joe, for the re-affirmation of all my commments!

slmann, you'll find that joe(true4.2) can speak for the majority of the crowd, in this case.

like joe said, if you know your way around a wrench, then the intake should be a snap. People had said things about not damaging the MAF and whatever during install, so I was ultra leary about it. But the truth is as long as you have opposable thumbs and don't drag your knuckles when you walk, it'll be cake.
Hell, even if you do drag your knuckles.....

Old 01-30-2005, 05:22 PM
slmann
Postmaster
Thanks for the info guy's. I just wanted to make sure the problems I heard about were not common to everyone.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:35 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No prob! Anything else? Just ask! After long flatulent day of flinging poo across the yard at Billy Bob the goat, I just love answering all kinds of questions about Fords! Woooweeeeee!