1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the "injector service"

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 12:28 PM
Shepard
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the "injector service"

My dealer includes a few things for the 30,00 mile service that are not on Ford's list. The biggest (cost wise), of these is the fuel injector service. What exactly is that and is it really worth doing?

Thanks

Old 01-28-2005, 02:10 PM
wlihntr
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMHO its a way for the dealer to get some more money out of you. if it where needed it would be in the manual. it seems anytime i bring a car or truck in for service at a dealer they say i should have the injector service done, i havent yet

Old 01-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Hellrazor1
Senior User
My guess is they dump a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank and call it a $100 service.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Shepard
Elder User
So I guess it is not necessary? I suppose I will make a list of what the manual says to do and get the dealer's price on just that. Hopefully will be a lot less than the 650.00 quoted for the dealer's recommended 30,000 mile service!

Old 01-28-2005, 09:12 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
OMG give it an oil change and be done with it. Newer vehicles don't need anything till 60,000 min esp gassers. Maybe check the air filter and blow it out if you live in the dust bowl..
Dealer scam big time...Get yourself a bottle of good inj cleaner and pour away.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:23 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I never take mine to a dealer for maintenance, EVER!!

My girlfriend took her new Civic to the dealer for a 10K maintenance and they charged her $400 for service. They did an oil change, that's it. I looked at the reciept and they charged her to "look" at everything else like A/C, brakes, engine, etc. They didn't actually do any work whatsoever. Huge ripoff.

Another story, my Grandfather took his PSD in for warranty work, and asked them to also change the oil and air filter. On the reciept they charged him almost $100 just to change the air filter. He was a weee bit upset

Old 01-28-2005, 09:27 PM
War_is_my_Shepherd
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hellrazor1
My guess is they dump a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank and call it a $100 service.
*Ding! Ding! Ding!* We have a winner!

Old 01-28-2005, 09:30 PM
V10MARS
Senior User
Thumbs up

What you realy need at 30k..

Trans service if you tow. If not, let it be till 60K.
Transfer case oil change, towing or not.
Check front and rear diff. Drain and fill only if contaminated.
Check front brake pads. If your hard on brakes or tow alot they will be about 70% worn.
Lube 4~5 grease fittings. Chang engine oil and filter if needed. Replace your fuel fiter and air filter if needed.(more than 15k on them.) Do not blow out your air cleaner. Replace it.

Last edited by V10MARS; 01-28-2005 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:27 AM
captchas
i am a dealer tech and have been in several times for warrenty work on my cars and trucks and had the the dealer say you should have this and that done . i don't own deisels so its usally need you need a decarbon, injector cleaning and your throttle body cleaned, these are dealer rip off items that are not in the owners manual for any brand that i have read about. some one correct me if i'm wrong but each time they said this it was 2 hours of labor here. how do you clean a diesel injector as far as i know you don't when they go bad we replace them with a rebuilt. in my shop. not untill. every now and then a customer askes should i add a cleaner, on a gas motor we tell them it doe not hurt to add such a brand," think any tech knows which one i mean" or this brand of diesel additive. the only thing we tell a customer is add antigell to their diesel as we never know whats in the ground in the very cold months.
as a tech i will say that i personally feel if its not in your factory manual don't let them sell it to you .save your cash. for me i change my oils every 3500 miles,rotate tires every other, air filter at 15k, cabin air or pollen filter at 20k.every thing else is by the book unless its needed

Old 01-29-2005, 04:52 PM
BlackXowner
New User
I have a 2000 X with a v10 im the second owner and I had to get the Fuel injector cleaner done on mine. There was a missfire on every cylinder, I could have swore it was one of the coils. The trucks only got 43,000 orig miles on it, It sat too long and the gas I think gumed it up. The fuel injector cleaner from the dealer near me is not a bottle thing, but it did the trick...the truck runs like a champ now.They charged me $250 here in Ohio for it, injector and throttle body clean. The truck was sputtering very bad idle was great though...and through no codes at all.

Thats my 2 cents

Old 01-29-2005, 05:11 PM
captchas
blackx
that is one time i would say go for it as it saved a bundle not having to replace injectors when it comes down to a missfire and the coils and injectors check out with a ohm meter my guys will try to clean the "gas"injectors as a stop gap. will it work. yes 90% of those cases it works and lasts. it is not something we do just to get more labor ontop of a tuneup to pad a bill. i've heard from people who said i had my 4.0 jeep in for a tune they charged 4 hours labor total. for a inline six come on that is why dealers are called stealerships and those good ones take the heat. maybe i'm to old and don't like hearing of people being ripped off, each labor op has a reason for its use . injector cleaning as you went though was a good call if it did not work at least the dealer or shop was truthfull and tried

Old 01-29-2005, 05:14 PM
jrz1
Junior User
A Contrarian View

I used to think this was a rip off as well and perhaps all they do is put a bottle of something in, however, I had a Chevy dealer do an "injector service" on an '01 Duramax when it started getting worse gas mileage and acceleration seemed a bit sluggish. Dealer noted that diesel fuel in the US is fairly "dirty" and the recommend regular cleaning. My truck had around 60,000 miles on it at the time. I can tell you that my experience was it made a very noticable difference in throttle response and I picked up around 2-3 mpg (back up to 17-18 combined mileage I got earlier). I will now make it a regular thing for my truck every 40-50,000 miles. I've been converted at least with diesel engines.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:34 PM
Oneof6
Senior User
Are you lost? You did know that this is a Ford Trucks forum didn't you? Your Chevy dealer may "note" that diesel fuel is "fairly dirty" but so what, that is what engine filters are for. Maybe he is used to Chevy problems and gulible Chevy owners. The final fuel filter in a PSD is a 2 micron filter, if used withe the stock regulator and stock return system. Even on a regulated return is is near that 2 micron level. That is about as good as you will get, or need, on any engine. Fuel filtered to that level won't wear injectors out. And if it did no amout of injector service would help, it would be time to change injectors. Diesel injectors don't need a snake oil injector service, dealerships do it is called easy money.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:54 PM
captchas
simple answer to the term dirty fuel. not dirt but high disolved sulfur content. causes a lot of problems in gas and diesels with carbon, that is when a cleaning is called for not as a mark up item every 20 k like some dealers try.
very good thread here men all gentle men .

Old 01-29-2005, 06:06 PM
jrz1
Junior User
Originally Posted by Oneof6
Are you lost? You did know that this is a Ford Trucks forum didn't you? Your Chevy dealer may "note" that diesel fuel is "fairly dirty" but so what, that is what engine filters are for. Maybe he is used to Chevy problems and gulible Chevy owners. The final fuel filter in a PSD is a 2 micron filter, if used withe the stock regulator and stock return system. Even on a regulated return is is near that 2 micron level. That is about as good as you will get, or need, on any engine. Fuel filtered to that level won't wear injectors out. And if it did no amout of injector service would help, it would be time to change injectors. Diesel injectors don't need a snake oil injector service, dealerships do it is called easy money.
No, I'm not lost. Ordered an F250 PS to replace my silverado. Look, I've purchased the fuel cleaners in the bottles in Walmart etc. and used them many times. Not sure why, but they did not have the effect of the service performed by the dealer. To be honest, I'm not sure if they pulled the injectors and cleaned them or just put a bottle in, but I know when I can feel a difference in throttle response and it was pretty clear that I had a substantial increase in mileage. I hate being ripped of as much or more than the next guy, but based on MY experience, I'll do it again. Since I was previously of the opinion that these things sucked, I figured I'd share my experience. Do with it what you want (your opinion is pretty clear in your post).

Quick Reply: What is the "injector service"