Towing a Vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 11:05 AM
mr240
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Towing a Vehicle

I just installed a Class III Draw Tite hitch on my 02 Expedition 4.6 2wd. I am going to rent a motorcycle trailer from Uhaul and tow my bike from San Diego to LA about 2 hrs of driving. I never towed a trailer before. Is there anything I should do to prepare my truck for this trip.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:13 AM
couleeman
Posting Guru
That is a small load for that truck. Just go through your regular routine that you would normally do (or should do) before a longer trip. Check the fluids and tires, make sure your lights works, ect.

As for the trailer, check the tires and make sure your lights work. Also, my theory is you can't put on to many tie downs. You are much better off putting on an extra couple straps than losing the load.

Last, watch it backing up and keep the speeds down. Backing up is the worst part of pulling a trailer (not that difficult, just takes some getting used to). Keep your speed down so the trailer doesn't sway back and forth when you are driving. You probably will be just fine at the speed limit, but watch the trailer and adjust your speed accordingly.

Good luck

Old 01-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Steina
CO River Rat

The trailer should be as level as possible. If you can, go to U-Haul and measure the distance between the ground and the inside of the coupler with the trailer sitting level; then, measure from the ground to the bottom of the 2" opening on your receiver hitch. The difference will tell you what "drop" you'll need when you buy a ball mount; make sure also the ball size you buy matches the trailer coupler. Smear a little grease on the ball before hook-up.

You might also wanna arrange your trip for less traffic - that SD-LA corridor can be brutal at times!

Good luck!

Steve

Old 01-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Gene W
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with couleeman's coments and would add to not try to ride your bike onto the trailer unless you can keep your feet on the ground or ramp or trailer bed the whole time. It can be tempting to just zip up that short ramp with your feet on the pegs and not able to reach the ground, but don't do it.

Be sure to compress your bike's suspention as you tie it down and add one of those short straps that go around the front wheel and rail for added security. Carry an extra strap or rope in your truck just in case you loose one on the highway. I would carry a padlock to secure the trailer to your truck if you leave it over nite or to lock the trailer to a pole with the safety chains if you should have a flat or need to leave it for some reason.

Stop a few times in the first fifty miles of your trip to check your load and trailer. Be sure the bike is still just the way you put it on the trailer and secure and walk around the trailer feeling of each tire and hub for excess heat. Warm is ok. Also check your hitch, light wiring and safety chains. Continue to check the load each time you stop.

Uhaul trailers usually have a speed limit posted on them. Stay at that speed or less and you will be fine.

Gene

Old 01-28-2005, 12:11 PM
mr240
New User
Uhaul says the max speed is 45mph. Going only 45mph will make that trip a very long one.

Old 01-28-2005, 12:16 PM
Steina
CO River Rat

You're limited to 55 by law when towing - 'course, nobody around here does that!

Steve

Old 01-28-2005, 12:30 PM
Gene W
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking at the small diameter of those trailer wheels, I wouldn't go much faster than that.

http://www.uhaul.com/guide/?equipment=motorcycle

They will do about twice the RPM of your truck wheels. Take the low road and enjoy the scenery.

The trailer does have a ride on ramp though, so you will save a few minutes on either end of the trip loading and unloading.

Gene

Old 01-28-2005, 07:42 PM
Cowboy Brett
Elder User
My suggestions (some of which are rehashes of those above):
- Try and get your tongue height as level as possible (trailer must be level to the ground)
- Make sure you've got a decent set of safety chains on that thing, and make sure that they won't be dragging on the asphalt.
- Make sure that all the tires on the rig are properly inflated.
- You're towing a motorcycle....use good tiedowns for the bike. I like the Ancra ones, personally. If they give you tiedowns, watch out for excessive fraying and UV damage to the nylon. Check the load when you stop for fuel.
- Make sure your load is tied down snugly. Unless you have wheel clamps, Compress the suspension a good bit.
- Be sure to lubricate the hitch ball and socket with some grease (lithium or Reese ball grease)
- Try and center the load on the trailer, as this will make your towing experience much easier.
- I'm with the other folks with regard to backing up. Be careful, and be even more careful if the trailer's got brakes.
- People tend to forget small trailers are there when they're on the road. I don't think you'll have any wind issues with a little trailer like that, though. Just don't go whipping through traffic, because the trailer doesn't take quite the same path as the car does sometimes. They'll go in the same direction perfectly straight, but in a turn the trailer goes closer to the curb, car, etc. Just keep an eye on it.

That's a lot, but I really like towing trailers. The little details help make things nicer, that's all. You should have no trouble whatsoever with that load on the Expy.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Dieselhound
Senior User
Smile

Stay in the right two lanes on the freeway or you will get a ticket! A common mistake people make when first towing trailers in California is that they think that they can go in any lane on the freeway but it is against the law to use any lanes but the right two. If the extreme right lane is an exit-only lane and marked with a solid white line, then it doesn't count. When freeways split, it will say "trucks with trailers ok" in the inner lanes for a short stretch.

On 4-lane highways (2 lanes in each direction) stay in the right lane unless passing.

Good luck. Keep the greasy side down and the shiny side up....