Has anyone turbocharged a 3.0?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 06:04 AM
agelder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone turbocharged a 3.0?

Just a curiosity question. Seems to me a turbo would be the most appropriate setup for getting true power out of the little engine. Maybe the FWD 3.0 manifolds could be used and put a single turbo off to one side, but I don't really know how those manifolds are setup or how different they are. Wouldn't need a lot of boost to make a difference.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:04 PM
1999_Ranger
Freshman User
It would not be very hard to modify the stock manifolds for a turbo, I have a good friend that built a 11 sec mustang with a volvo turbo and some good fabrication skills

Old 02-19-2005, 11:49 AM
agelder
Senior User
mmm.... turbo.... Seems to me that a turbo from one of the larger 4 bangers would work well, since we couldn't run a whole lot of pressure anyways. I was just thinking about the FWD ones since many FWD sixes have the front manifold cross over the top of the transmission into the rear manifold/collector, which would make an easier conversion to a single turbo setup.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:10 PM
rangersvt04
Posting Guru
not a turbo but. my buddy had a 93 ranger 3.0L we removed the air filter box and inserted a leaf blower. then connected the intake to the blower . it worked but we blew the motor and blower. it was just a old rusted out beater on its last legs. you need a really big power inverter to run a leaf blower from 12v.

Old 03-04-2005, 06:34 AM
agelder
Senior User
Oooooo.... just picked up a car magazine, saw a new product in there that gave me an idea. The product was a downstream turbo system for a Camaro/firebird, but the turbo replaced where the muffler would be, not where the manifolds exit. Thus my idea is as follows:
What if we were to plumb a turbo in behind the y-pipe, and then run it around to the front? If a smallish turbo was used (since our engines can't take a whole lotta boost anyways) the spool up wouldn't be much of an issue. The main problem would be plumbing the intake piping, which would be long (but not longer than a traditional with an intercooler), and the oil lines. The turbo would stay cooler, and reduce the need for an intercooler (and if you wanted, a simple water injection system would work nicely). Any thoughts on this?

Old 04-19-2005, 09:54 PM
bsguitar9
New User
I am actually thinking of trying that setup, since used turbos are pretty cheap, and you would just have to fab a pipe from the turbo to the intake.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:57 PM
agelder
Senior User
Gotta figure out a way to get oil to the turbo too... thus what is preventing me from raiding a junkyard

Old 06-12-2005, 06:14 PM
hatemakings/n
Elder User
look up street flight in chandler az. they turbo'ed a 3L aready and have a complete kit for ya. Well it's for the 3L swap in a contour but I'm sure they could make a few changes to make it work. The kit runs $5000 but it has EVERYTHING you will need. T3/T4 hybrid computer management system injectors intercooler headers the whole nine yards.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Homeskillet5
New User
well now that your guys have brought it up......i'm in the process of "remote mounting" a turbo on my 3.0..

i'd love to talk to a few folks about this so..email me or im me at Homesklt5 on aim....

Old 07-04-2005, 04:58 AM
daedgar
Freshman User
Its not the supply of oil it is the return. The one in Utah will not let you see how it is done, could be a Jabsco pump to return the oil? Have fun, Dave

Old 07-11-2005, 05:38 AM
agelder
Senior User
Wonder if a pump designed for hydraulic oil would be overkill for motor oil return from the turbo...

Old 12-25-2005, 03:04 AM
bumpin_BII
Senior User
this topic is drawing my attn lol. how much boost are you guys thinkin? i figured about 5psi would make a killer diff in this motor. and if anyone actually did this what did it cost you to set it up and how did you do it? i already love this thread.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Chris Huff
New User
Sorry to drag this back from the dead.

Any news on this?

I've got a '91 ranger 3.0 that I'm thinking of turboing if I can do it cheap. I don't know if it will handle too much more power anyway.

Old 11-01-2006, 09:51 PM
RangerEdge03
New User
I had kind of a fun experiment this weekend.
I plugged my leaf blower into the air intake hose and let her rip. Suprisingly my ranger did not die but idled very low...gave her a couple of revs and she sounded awsome.
Now there is no way of hooking the leaf blower up...but i just wanted the feeling of turbo for a couple of mins.

Old 11-23-2006, 02:55 AM
SeanClaffey
New User
For a little while, Whipple made a "bolt on" supercharger kit for the 3.0. www.rogueperformance.com has more info about superchargers on these motors. Not cheap though! 4 or so grand.

Quick Reply: Has anyone turbocharged a 3.0?