2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor throttle response!!...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 08:15 PM
admorris
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor throttle response!!...

I've got an 04' F150 and the ONLY problem I have with it is a rediculously sluggish throttle. I bought the Superchips Tuner in hopes of eliminating this, but the delay in the throttle is still there (power is much better however). When I talk delay, I am talking hitting the gas and probably a realistic .5-1 sec delay. It is quite annoying to say the least.

My question...is there something that I can do myself to help improve the throttle response? I drove an older 150..probably an 02 or 03 and it felt sooooo much more powerful just do to the throttle. Please give me some ideas. I am even willing to ditch the Superchips if the Ford re-tune would do a better job.

thanks in advance.
Alan

Old 01-28-2005, 03:07 AM
greenroses
Senior User
This subject strikes a nerve with me because I went to the DSB about it and Ford said it was "normal". I don't think so. Anyway, from reading different forums on the issue, most guys seemed to have the best luck with a chip. Other guys have had the dealer flash the computer. I went the dealer route with no luck. I'm reluctant, but I might try a chip. We'll see.

Good luck.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:03 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
i can say that the reflash has helped my 05 fx4 5.4L scab.i could put the throttle on the floor and it seemed like forever before i got a response.ford also told me it was normal.try the flash its cheaper and it wont hurt

Old 01-29-2005, 09:21 AM
79REK
Junior User
Originally Posted by admorris
I've got an 04' F150 and the ONLY problem I have with it is a rediculously sluggish throttle. I bought the Superchips Tuner in hopes of eliminating this, but the delay in the throttle is still there (power is much better however). When I talk delay, I am talking hitting the gas and probably a realistic .5-1 sec delay. It is quite annoying to say the least.

My question...is there something that I can do myself to help improve the throttle response? I drove an older 150..probably an 02 or 03 and it felt sooooo much more powerful just do to the throttle. Please give me some ideas. I am even willing to ditch the Superchips if the Ford re-tune would do a better job.

thanks in advance.
Alan
I went the dealer reflash route as well with no help, at least from dead idle. I've noticed that if I apply a little throttle, say 10%, and then punch it, there is little or no delay. If I start with the pedal all the way back (at idle), there is a .5 to 1 sec delay. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old 01-29-2005, 03:05 PM
ACcobraman
New User
Bad throttle response

I have had my 05 SCREW FX4 for about a month now. I have been very disapointed with the throttle response from Idle as well as on the move. My truck will not spin the EDITED tires from a dead stop in first gear. I have even tried in the rain and nothing. If I'm going 30 MPH and punch it to the floor it refuses to downshift more than one gear (basically it comes out of overdrive). I can tell that the power is there around 4 grand it starts to really pull. But why cant I get this dam thing to down shift so that it gets into the power band faster. Also my gas mileage sucks bigtime. First tank was around 9mpg and the second tank was 10.2. I hope that I didn't give up on my 99 Silverado (17mpg) for half the mileage.

Last edited by IB Tim; 01-29-2005 at 04:56 PM. Reason: bumping the filter
Old 01-29-2005, 04:53 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE.
We are pleased you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE …..See you on the boards.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:06 PM
BLariat
Senior User
As a control systems engi-nerd I can explain it as follows:

1. You cannot have a true impulse (0 throttle to 100% immediately), especially in an analog to digital input control system. It takes time to calculate the input value. Sure the time is small, but it does matter.

2. The system has a set minimum input time throttle change to make sure that you stomping on the pedal wasnt becasue of a bump, like if you were off roading. This shouldnt happen when you're stopped, but it is in their code.

3. To keep emissions low and optimize the engine response, the output is regulated to ramp up at a certain rate.

I recommend not stomping on the pedal, but quickly and smoothly increasing the throttle from 0 to 100%. I have an '04 Supercrew Lariat and find this to be the fastest means of accelerating. Since the change in the throttle is smaller for the sampling time, it does not regard it as an accident and therefore the output response will track the input much more closely. After driving my 04, then driving my mom's 03, I say the '04 is better in every way possible, especially with acceleration. You just have to give the system what it wants.

However, Ford needs to do the following things:
1. Increase sampling frequency
2. Decrease the integration factor in their PID loop, if thats what they are using. It slows the response down.
3. Change their filtering algorithm to allow 0 to 100% throttle when the truck is stopped.

Basically, they are just trying to save you gas and wear and tear on your truck.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:19 PM
787fordracing
New User
I thought the tuners were suppose to take care of the delay according to what i have read on here. had the dealer flash mine but it did not get rid of the delay. a friend of mine has a 05 gt mustang with a cableless throttle and there is no delay period. why cant they do that with the trucks?

Old 01-30-2005, 05:34 PM
anthony99
Senior User
I love my '04, but I too am disappointed in the poor throttle response. Neither the Superchips tuner or the dealer reflash improved it anywhere near the level of response that I had in my '91 F150.

What I find interesting is that there is such a broad range of experiences with '04 F150 owners. There was a post recently called "Can you spin your tires," and the results varied greatly. Some could spin their tires easily others, like myself, can't spin them even on a wet surface.

I don't understand why there is such a big performance difference across the board for the 04' F150s.

Old 01-30-2005, 06:36 PM
rsjohns2
Junior User
When you guys talk about reflashing what exactly is that? Does the dealer reflash with a new code or the same code? If it is a new code then why not find out what others are using that hasn't got the throttle lag and see if the dealer can use it.

Old 01-30-2005, 07:04 PM
shock1wsu
Freshman User
Just my 2 cents...I sat in my friends 05 Mustang last night, and hit the gas (punched it) and it lit the engine up as if there were a cable on the pedal. No such luck in my 04 Screw. And I have to agree with ACcobraman - my mileage now at 5K is about 12 mpg with 70% intown and 30% highway. Not even close to the 14/18 listed. If this throttle lag was designed into the F150, why wouldn't they have designed it into the Mustang?

Old 01-30-2005, 07:45 PM
jimtracker
Junior User
This subject has been beat to death, so I will repeat my results again and hopefully for the last time. I have had my 04 Lariat Screw reflashed twice. The latest was in December. The first time a lot of the lag was removed, however the reflash that was done in Dec has almost completely removed the lag. Don't ask me for the number of the last flash as I have already posted it, and I am too old and grouchy to go look it up again. I also posted the fix to Motor Trend and they acknowledged my comments in the current issue.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:16 PM
shock1wsu
Freshman User
OK Jimtracker - I just had my truck in for routine maintenance and they did all the required reflashes, but it didn't take care of my throttle response - are you saying that because you sent a suggestion to Motor Trend, that everyone's truck is going to be fixed?

Old 01-31-2005, 08:21 AM
jimtracker
Junior User
Only if you have a reason for the reflash

Old 01-31-2005, 08:32 AM
Smoove
Junior User
Had mine flashed at the dealer and mine's a beast now comparitively. I'm happy.

Quick Reply: Poor throttle response!!...