Notices

Bed Rug Box Liner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 03:55 PM
kalcium
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bed Rug Box Liner?

A friend of mine installed a type of soft bed liner called Bed Rug. He swears by it. Attaches to velcro strips, stand up to UV and water and doesn't mold. Anybody have any negative comments about the product or any comments at all for that matter.

Old 01-27-2005, 04:33 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome to the only family Ford Truck site, on the net. The members in this forum are very knowledgeable about these accessories; they will eagerly help you…with your question.
To insure a better understanding of how FTE operates, please read the guidelines, and the READ FIRST notes in each forum you choose visit. I'm sure you'll find plenty of reading and information to surf though.
Enjoy FTE

Old 01-27-2005, 10:33 PM
AntiGrav118
Junior User
A buddy of mine has it and it's just plain great. Soft enough to sit down on comfortably and it also helps by not allowing things to slide to much back there. I recommend it alright.

enjoy fte it's a great place!

Old 01-28-2005, 08:40 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Bedrug is a good product. The only negative comments I have ever heard (and they are minor) are the following:
1. Only comes in gray.
2. Tends to sag a bit after a while.
3. Traps moisture between the rug and the bed.
4. You need to get used to looking at carpet in your bed.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:41 AM
C M Budke
Senior User
I' ve had my Bedrug since '97. I love it. I'm a drummer and wanted to be able to haul my gear w/o it sliding around the bed and getting scratched up. Problem solved. I only have a minor complaint about it. It has little plastic fasteners that hold on the weather strip at the tailgate. If you drag something out of the bed, it'll get caught on the weatherstrip and try to rip it off. Then the fasteners split and you loose them. I haven't found replacements yet and I'm down to a couple. I'll probably come up with some stainless bolts to replace them. Other then that, no real complaints. It's on with velcro. So, if you want to throw something nasty in, you just yank it out!

Welcome to the Boards!

Chris

Old 01-28-2005, 06:05 PM
kalcium
New User
Thanks for the replys. I've only got one more question. The dealer that sold me the truck (04 250 Crew Cab) stated that the box and everything thats used to attach it to the frame is all stainless and therefore no rust. If thats so, will there be any problem with moisture being trapped under a liner of any kind?

Old 02-08-2005, 10:37 AM
easterisland
Senior User
I seriously doubt that all the harware is stainless.

Last edited by IB Tim; 10-14-2005 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:31 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
That's not true, their is no stainless steel at all in the truck. If there were, it would cost a fortune.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:45 PM
kalcium
New User
Thanks for the inputs. I'll take these posts to my dealer and see what he says. We're actually friends so it will be interesting.

Old 02-09-2005, 09:41 AM
easterisland
Senior User
Exclamation

Originally Posted by kalcium
Thanks for the inputs. I'll take these posts to my dealer and see what he says. We're actually friends so it will be interesting.
Originally Posted by kalcium
The dealer that sold me the truck (04 250 Crew Cab) stated that the box and everything thats used to attach it to the frame is all stainless and therefore no rust.

When my friends lie to me I no longer call them friends.

Old 02-09-2005, 11:11 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Ford uses mostly galvanized steel for rust prevention. However, the exhaust system (I believe) is stainless steel. You can buy plenty of aftermarket stainless steel stuff like nerfs, bumpers, and grills. Stainless looks good because it can be polished to a mirror finish and it does not rust.

Old 02-09-2005, 12:13 PM
easterisland
Senior User
Originally Posted by TruckDaddy
Stainless looks good because it can be polished to a mirror finish and it does not rust.
Wrong stainless can rust.

Old 02-09-2005, 01:05 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
From the Stainless Steel Information Center:

"Can stainless steel rust? Why? (I thought stainless did not rust!)

Answer: Stainless does not "rust" as you think of regular steel rusting with a red oxide on the surface that flakes off. If you see red rust it is probably due to some iron particles that have contaminated the surface of the stainless steel and it is these iron particles that are rusting. Look at the source of the rusting and see if you can remove it from the surface. If the iron is embedded in the surface, you can try a solution of 10% nitric and 2% hydrofluoric acid at room temperature or slightly heated. Wash area well with lots and lots of water after use. Commercially available "pickling paste" can also be used."

More info:

"Stainless steel is stainless because of the protective chromium oxides on the surface. If those oxides are removed by scouring, or by reaction with bleach, then the iron in the steel is exposed and can be rusted. Stainless steel is also vulnerable to contamination by plain carbon steel, the kind found in tools, food cans, and steel wool. This non-stainless steel tends to rub off on the surface (due to iron-to-iron affinity), and readily rusts. Once rust has breached the chromium oxides, the iron in the stainless steel can also rust. Fixing this condition calls for re-passivation."

Last edited by TruckDaddy; 02-09-2005 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:22 AM
mettech
Senior User
Originally Posted by easterisland
When my friends lie to me I no longer call them friends.
Same here... Sometimes I have to call them "family" lol

Old 10-15-2005, 07:54 AM
mettech
Senior User
I just ordered a Tonneau cover and a Bedrug from: http://www.surplusequipment.com/stor...8&CategoryNo=0

Bedrug cost $269. Cover $215. No tax, no shipping charge.

Quick Reply: Bed Rug Box Liner?