6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Mercon SP Tranny Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 05:21 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tn mac
I agree not quite the same but it gets the fluid pretty hot, and it also gets dirty, guess this is one of those times we agree to disagree. would that be a another time warp thing, ha ha.
For sure!

But that is why I looked at and sniffed the tranny dip stick. (keep it clean you guys!) If the fluid was dark and smelled burned. I would have went for the flush. I went about 90,000 miles on my Bronco with AOD and had been in the mud and 4WD the heck out of it. I pulled the tranny dipstick and it smelled really burned and was dark brown. I flushed it but didn't let them use any flush chemicals just tranny fluid. Worked out great.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:32 PM
tinytrixie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SBV45
In Central Texas I found Mercon SP at a local parts house that is owned by Arnold Oil company, a local distributor.

The 30k maintenance only calls for a drain and fill and external tranny filter change. The flush is extra and not necessary. I did the drain and fill. It took 8.25 quarts. I know a local trans shop that won't do the flush.
I think the reason that some don't recommend changing all the fluid is that atf has very high levels of detergent (probably common knowledge here) and all replacing all the fluid will remove built-up varnish causing increased tolerances that could only lead to no good. My personal opinion on automatics is if you are going to flush, do it more often than prescribed preventing or at least slowing normal wear & tear and varnish buildup from the get go. I don't know if it was SB ot KW that rotates between flush and drain & fill but I like that idea for these high tech tranny's. If I am going to overkill on fluids I will do it there b4 the oil (I do it there also) because I love the truck!

Old 01-28-2005, 09:00 PM
mark bondlow
Senior User
I can't confirm this, but a guy at the local trans. shop told me that if you change the tranny fluid too often the detergent eats up the clutch plates.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:51 PM
Springer
Freshman User
I once had an F-150 that was a really good truck. I loved it until I had the tranny flushed at 75k. A week later it started slipping and I barely made it to a pay phone before all the fluid came out the bottom popping and hissing as it hit the wet ground. Naturally, I was on a rescue mission to pick up my wife, kids and in-laws as the wife's Nissan van had lost it's fans and overheated 40 miles from home and was now awaiting repair. After getting home I discovered the heat pump had thrown craps and needed repair. Three grand plus in repairs in one day and the in-laws were still there. Among other things, I suddenly hated that truck!
Of course, after the fact, several folks pointed out that I should never have flushed the tranny at 75k. I should have done it sooner or not at all. Jeez, I just love all the advice as I write the check...

Old 01-28-2005, 10:09 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drain and fill is all that is required. Of course you can spend your money any way you want.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:34 PM
Jayybird
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Fellas,
A couple quick questions regarding my transmission leaking fluid. I have a 2005 PSD FX4. I just recently had my transmission serviced out of town. When pulling a trailer, I noticed a lot of fluid coming from the transmission. I can not tell exactly where it is coming from. My understanding is, there is a vent on top of the tranny that will release excess fluid. I am assuming it was overfilled. When checking the fluid level, letting it cool overnight, the dipstick still shows it to be full. THis has happend several times, but the stick continues to show that is is full. The truck runs great, other than the fluid coming out I can't tell that there is a problem and this did start immediately after it was serviced. Questions are,

1. Will having the excess fluid harm the truck? Or does the overflow vent correct the problem by default?
2. Do yall recommend starting over? Drain, flush, and put back in the correct amount?
3. Ok ,the manual calls for MERCON SP. The guy at the local transmission shop (not the one that serviced it to cause the problem) said he does not carry regular MERCON SP but uses the synthetic version. Does MERCON SP-"Synthetic" exist, I haven't found any info on this? Or is MERCON SP already a synthetic and the fella is just confused?

Any input on this one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-24-2010, 11:17 AM
sdtheclub
New User
SP fluid

Originally Posted by psmith338
It's time to service my tranny. I found a great deal on filters at Filter1, but I can't find the fluid anywhere but the Ford dealer & they want $4.62 a quart!
Any suggestions?
I can sell you all you need for $2.00 a quart

Old 09-24-2010, 11:23 AM
sdtheclub
New User
Originally Posted by Jayybird
Fellas,
A couple quick questions regarding my transmission leaking fluid. I have a 2005 PSD FX4. I just recently had my transmission serviced out of town. When pulling a trailer, I noticed a lot of fluid coming from the transmission. I can not tell exactly where it is coming from. My understanding is, there is a vent on top of the tranny that will release excess fluid. I am assuming it was overfilled. When checking the fluid level, letting it cool overnight, the dipstick still shows it to be full. THis has happend several times, but the stick continues to show that is is full. The truck runs great, other than the fluid coming out I can't tell that there is a problem and this did start immediately after it was serviced. Questions are,

1. Will having the excess fluid harm the truck? Or does the overflow vent correct the problem by default?
2. Do yall recommend starting over? Drain, flush, and put back in the correct amount?
3. Ok ,the manual calls for MERCON SP. The guy at the local transmission shop (not the one that serviced it to cause the problem) said he does not carry regular MERCON SP but uses the synthetic version. Does MERCON SP-"Synthetic" exist, I haven't found any info on this? Or is MERCON SP already a synthetic and the fella is just confused?

Any input on this one would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Having your trans over filled can hurt your transmission as air will mix with the fluid.
Your trans cooler is probably plugged, so I would suggest replacing your cooler and flushing out all the fluid and installing SP. SP is synthetic that is why it costs so much, I would not suggest using any other brands.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:14 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sdtheclub
Having your trans over filled can hurt your transmission as air will mix with the fluid.
Your trans cooler is probably plugged, so I would suggest replacing your cooler and flushing out all the fluid and installing SP. SP is synthetic that is why it costs so much, I would not suggest using any other brands.

Would you suggest using Mercon LV fluid instead of Mercon SP?

Old 09-24-2010, 12:33 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
LV is now the Ford preferred fluid for the 5R110

Old 09-24-2010, 01:22 PM
sdtheclub
New User
The torque shift trans found in all Fords with the 6.0 diesel takes SP fluid and nothing else. Putting LV fluid in a torque shift will eat the clutches alive

Old 09-24-2010, 01:45 PM
ljutic ss
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sdtheclub
The torque shift trans found in all Fords with the 6.0 diesel takes SP fluid and nothing else. Putting LV fluid in a torque shift will eat the clutches alive

Your putting out un-true information about LV fluid in a Torqshift transmission. Read Ford motor company TSB on LV fluid. I personally have 8 quarts of LV fluid working along SP fluid for the past 4,600 miles. No problems as expected.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:11 PM
sdtheclub
New User
I have worked for Ford for over 27 years and if you want to add LV fluid to your torque shift transmission and cause premature wear then by all means do so. I can forward you as much info as you want that clearly states that SP is the ONLY FORD APPROVED fluid for the torque shift trans that FORD MAKES. I'm pretty sure which fluid is best for our transmissions. This fluid was designed just for this trans and does an outstanding job. Only someone who is uneducated would want to even try to put anything else in there torque shift. It has been proven that using other fluids cause the clutches to have premature wear. LV fluid is also a Ford trans fluid but it is NOT for the torque shift. SO YOU NEED TO STOP PUTTING OUT FALSE INFO yourself!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2010, 05:19 PM
sdtheclub
New User
<TABLE width="95%"><TBODY><TR><TD>SECTION 307-01: Automatic Transaxle/Transmission — TorqShift
</TD><TD align=right>2006 F-Super Duty 250-550 Workshop Manual
</TD></TR><TR><TD>SPECIFICATIONS
</TD><TD align=right>Procedure revision date: 06/20/2006</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<HR>****** name=tps_proctitle content=SPECIFICATIONS> <SUP> Printable View (218 KB)</SUP>

General Specifications
<TABLE border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Item</TH><TH vAlign=bottom align=middle>Specification</TH></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" vAlign=top colSpan=2 align=left>Fluid</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-TOP: medium none" vAlign=top colSpan=2 align=left>CAUTION: MERCON®, MERCON®LV and MERCON®SP are not interchangeable transmission fluids.
  • Use of any fluid other than the recommended fluid may cause transmission damage.
  • Refer to the fluid level indicator for the type of transmission fluid required.
  • The transmission fluid should be changed every 48,000 km (30,000 miles) regardless of normal or special operating conditions.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>MERCON®SP Automatic Transmission Fluid XT-6-QSP</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>MERCON®SP</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none" vAlign=top colSpan=2 align=left>Fluid Capacity</TD></TR><TR><TD style="BORDER-TOP: medium none" vAlign=top colSpan=2 align=left>
  • The fluid capacities are approximate dry fill capacities and include the fluid coolers, fluid filter and fluid cooler tubes.
  • Fluid should be checked with the vehicle on a level surface and at normal operating temperature.
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>Transmission Fluid</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>18.0L (19.2 quart)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=2 align=left>Fluid Filter</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>OEM Remote Filter Element 3C3Z-7B155-AA (FT-145)</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>—</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>In-Line Transmission Fluid Filter Kit 2W4Z-7B155-CA</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>—</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>In-Line Transmission Fluid Filter 2W4Z-7B155-BA</TD><TD vAlign=top align=middle>—</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

ANY OTHER QUESTIONS???????

Old 09-24-2010, 05:21 PM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 664 Likes on 424 Posts
Read and try to learn something.

Ford Special Service Message 21114

MESSAGE TITLE: REPLACEMENT TRANSMISSION FLUID FOR SERVICING TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSIONS

APPLICABLE VEHICLES :
2003 - 2005 TRUCK : 00126 EXCURSION
2003 - 2008 TRUCK : 00028 F-SERIES
2004 - 2008 TRUCK : 00016 E-SERIES
2006 - 2008 TRUCK : 00175 F-SERIES MOTORHOME
2006 - 2008 HEAVY TRUCK : 00168 LOW CAB FORWARD

OASIS MESSAGE :
ALL 2003-2008 F-SUPER DUTY, 2003-2005 EXCURSION, 2004-2008 E-SERIES AND
2006-2008 LCF VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A TORQSHIFT AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS SHOULD
BE SERVICED WITH MERCON LV AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID IN PLACE OF MERCON SP.
THIS INCLUDES TOP OFF AS WELL AS FLUID REPLACEMENT. MIXING MERCON LV AND MERCON
SP IN THE TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSION IS ACCEPTABLE. USE MERCON LV TRANSMISSION FLUID
TO SERVICE VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH TORQSHIFT TRANSMISSIONS. WHEN ADDING OR
REPLACING TRANSMISSION FLUID IN A VEHICLE EQUIPPED WITH A TORQSHIFT
TRANSMISSION, USE MERCON LV TRANSMISSION FLUID.

APPLICABLE SYMPTOM CODES :
500000 DRIVELINE
504000 DRIVELINE OTHER AUTO TRANS CONCERNS
510000 DRIVELINE FLUID CONCERNS
MERCON® LV Automatic Transmission Fluid

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: Mercon SP Tranny Fluid