1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi All

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 11:32 AM
olevy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Hi All

does any body know how to replace a fuel filter on a ford F-250?

Old 01-24-2005, 11:38 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE. Also....There are General forums, Tech Forums for Both SPECIFIC Year Truck & Systems forums, ClubFTE related forums, Regional Chapter forums & a Test forum for testing things. Surf FTE and find what you like. Stick around someone will be by shortly...to answer your question.

We are pleased you have chosen the best source for Fords!
See you on the boards.
Enjoy FTE …..

...MOVED...

Old 01-24-2005, 11:57 AM
olevy
New User
Thumbs up Thanks for all your help

Thanks for all your help

Originally Posted by Tim Lamkin
Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE. Also....There are General forums, Tech Forums for Both SPECIFIC Year Truck & Systems forums, ClubFTE related forums, Regional Chapter forums & a Test forum for testing things. Surf FTE and find what you like. Stick around someone will be by shortly...to answer your question.

We are pleased you have chosen the best source for Fords!
See you on the boards.
Enjoy FTE …..

...MOVED...

Old 01-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
I imagine your talking about a gas filter. It's pretty easy. You'll need the fuel filter toll that releases the internal clips in the fuel line. These can be bought at any of the auto parts stores for cheap. They looks like a round cap almost.

You'll need to release the pressure first in the line, I found the easiest was to just let the truck sit overnight and change the filter first thing. Always wear safety glasses or goggles when replacing the filter you don't need gas in the eye.

Get under your truck and use a small can of compressed air or a hose and blow out the fittings on each side of the filter. Little bits of sand or grime make it harder to release the fittings. Push the tool into the fittings and you will feel it "click" it is now released. Do the other end and then remove the filter from it's retaining clip. Reinstall new filter with arrow on the filter facing forward into the line clips and then push the filter into the retaining clip and your done.

Start it up and check for leaks.

Old 01-24-2005, 06:41 PM
high ho silver
Posting Guru
The best way to bleed the fuel line pressure is to find the "valve stem" on the passenger side fuel rail. Cover with a shop rag and using a small tip screw driver press the center stem. Wa La pressure gone! Just like letting air out of your tires.

Old 01-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Rongold
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Fuel Filter Replacement

Hi,

The fuel filter (GASOLINE) is located on the inside of the left frame rail, just below the driver's seat. If your truck is a 2003 or later, get yourself one of those "X" shaped line release tools. After bleeding off the fuel pressure as mentioned in the above posts, insert the small end of the tool into the front fuel line fitting--push it--it has to go all the way in to release the 2 locking fingers on the fuel line. Once you get that line off, snap the filter out of its bracket, and press on the green release button on the rear fuel filter fitting, and pull the filter off of the line. You may have to push the release button with a blunt tool of you cannot push it in far enough with your finger. The reason I'm advising you to pull the filter from the bracket, and pull the filter from the line instead of pulling the line from the filter, is because the line on the rear of the filter is considerably tougher than the front one, and will not bend as easily as the front one, making it harder to pull the line off of the filter--it's easier to pull the filter from the line. To install the new one, just coat the 2 filter nipples with a little motor oil and reverse the removal operation--no tools needed--just push the fittings onto the filter. Make sure you hear a snap as the lines engage the filter.

If your truck is 2002 or older, I think you need the "X" tool for both ends. If your truck is a diesel, the fuel fulter is located on top of the engine, but that's a whole other animal. I'm sure that some PSD person will post the replacement procedure here.

RON

Old 01-24-2005, 08:02 PM
RobertJohn
Elder User
Hi !
I have no idea, I'm a diesel guy, but Hi !

Old 04-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Gary A.
Freshman User
I've read the FUEL FILTERS REPLACEMENT PROCEDURE and it says on page 1 of 3 that a very full fuel tank will cause the HFCM to drain fuel until tank is low enough for flow to stop. Well, my tank is topped off with diesel, so I guess I better not change the large filter on the frame???? Is this true? Any comments would be appreciated on this. Thanks Gary A.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:00 PM
rbloodhound
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
It can be done with a full tank. I have done it that way.