EGR nut rounded off

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 10:56 AM
corpsedub
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
EGR nut rounded off

92 EFI 300 6

so there i was, trying to take my upper intake manifold off. i realized that i needed to seperate the EGR valve from the intake manifold to get the manifold off. that little shiester is on there good. anyway, ended up rounding off the top nut on the EGR. anyone have any tips on how to get those bolts out? i suppose i could angle grind the EGR housing off and just buy a new EGR valve, but that's not cheap. i know you have drill out bolts and such but due to the location of these bolts it is not possible. so i look to FTE for advise. anyone have any idea as to how i can remove this EGR valve with the top nut rounded off? thanks.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:15 AM
MrBeechwood
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel your pain. Do you think you could get a dremmel tool in there to just grind the head of the bolt off? You might use up a lot of dremmel tips but it could work.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:30 AM
corpsedub
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by MrBeechwood
I feel your pain. Do you think you could get a dremmel tool in there to just grind the head of the bolt off? You might use up a lot of dremmel tips but it could work.
i could do that but once i cut off the head, how am i going to get the rest of the bolt out? the problem is that the bolt face is twards the firewall, so pounding something in to replace the bolt head is not an option as there is just not enough room. is the EGR housing threaded or just the intake manifold side? if the EGR houseing is not threaded, then cutting the head off is a defniate option.

Old 01-24-2005, 11:58 AM
MrBeechwood
Junior User
Well I replaced my egr about 3 weeks ago and my egr valve flange was not threaded just the intake. On that top bolt maybe you could get some vicegrips to lock on it. Did you try some penatrating fluid like PB Blaster?
On mine it is easier to get to if I unscrew the brakets for my A/C line off of the cowl and move it down out of the way .

The tube on my egr has some play on it to slide it off of the rest of the bolt on my 1989 300.

Old 01-24-2005, 12:24 PM
corpsedub
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by MrBeechwood
Well I replaced my egr about 3 weeks ago and my egr valve flange was not threaded just the intake. On that top bolt maybe you could get some vicegrips to lock on it. Did you try some penatrating fluid like PB Blaster?
On mine it is easier to get to if I unscrew the brakets for my A/C line off of the cowl and move it down out of the way .

The tube on my egr has some play on it to slide it off of the rest of the bolt on my 1989 300.
thanks for the reply. i just did some reseach and found out what you just said. the housing is not threaded. i did try some pb blaster but that ******* was on there good. im just gonna slice off the head off the bolt. dont know how im going to get the rest out.

Old 01-24-2005, 01:11 PM
frty7ford
Elder User
Try getting a good pair of vice grips on it and getting it off that way. you might try a stud remover tool also. Good luck

Old 01-25-2005, 05:33 PM
tetraruby300
Senior User
Pipe wrench and maybe a tube to lengthen the lever arm - just an idea before breaking out the grinder.

Old 01-26-2005, 09:49 AM
eetmyshourts
Junior User
i dunno how tight it is in there but how about using a dremel to cut a slit in the top of the bolt so its like a screw. except instead of trying to unscrew it the convetional way why not stick a big screwdriver into the slit horizontally that way you have alot more leverage. ive tried this and it does work just be carefull not to cut down to deep or u'll just break the head right off.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:32 AM
95_4x4_jay
Senior User
Craftsman has a bolt removal tool. Its a special socket that bites into the rounded head. They work really good.
You can heat up the surrounding area and try the removal tool with a wrench extention handle.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:34 AM
95_4x4_jay
Senior User
Old 01-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Truckin Bob
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Whoa there........

Before you get all sideways there, take the upper plemum off WITH the EGR bolted on. That'll allow you to get it on a bench to work at getting the bolt out.

I say this from experience.......
Had to get Heli-Coils installed in the two same holes last weekend !!!!

Your biggest concern is (should be) getting the tube nut (from the exhaust) loose so you CAN get the upper plenum off with the EGR valve attached. Mine was a bugger the first time I removed it !!!

It's not as bad as it seems......
Take a step back and re-evaluate the situation.

If all else fails, take the upper plenum with the EGR on it to a machine shop. They'll get it all back to "nice and new condition" for a minimal charge.

Happy wrenching,

Bob

Old 01-26-2005, 03:28 PM
corpsedub
Mountain Pass
yea..i thought about just taking the whole plume off by removing the nut on the tube..but it feels like it's on there tighter that the EGR bolt. the problem is 2 fold. 1 the egr nut is rounded and 2 it's on there really really tight so your idea of the tube nut sounds better all the time. i suppose i could just get up in there with a pipe wrench and my 2 feet and yank that thing. wish my impact would fit in there somehow. thanks for all the replies!

Old 01-27-2005, 07:44 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 613 Likes on 550 Posts
So, did you ever get the thing out of there?

Old 01-28-2005, 11:36 AM
corpsedub
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by spurredon
So, did you ever get the thing out of there?
will be doing it this weekend if time permits. i will post my results.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:41 AM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anti-sieze is ur friend. 2 dis-simmiliar metals (intake is alm, bolts are steel)=problems. before u reinstall add some anti siezeso it wont happen again.

those crafstman bolt outs rock!

Quick Reply: EGR nut rounded off