Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-22-2005, 07:16 AM
New User

MarkA100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile Cylinder Numbers for 5.4

Anyone have a diagram or know of a website that shows how the cylinders in a 5.4 are numbered? I have a bad #5 Spark Coil that I need to locate so I can replace it! These damn coils keep dieing 1 at a time, this will be the fith one I've replaced in the last two years..... The killer is you have to pay Ford $80 to scan the OBDII, then pay $108.00 for the coil, so it's almost a two hundred dollar job if you do it yourself! I let ford do the first one and it cost me $350.00, I shoud have known something was up when I saw the handles and grease at the cash register. So far all of the failed coils have ohmed out to spec, so this means there has been no shorting or opening of the coil. Instead the cheap insulation used to isolate the turns is breaking down and the spark is arking across the coil body instead of the spark plug. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate.

MarkA

Last edited by MarkA100; 01-22-2005 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Senior User

cantrma is starting off with a positive reputation.
Driver Front Passenger
5 1
6 2
7 3
8 4
Rear
Old 01-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Senior User

cantrma is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry my formatting screwed up. 1-4 are front to rear on the passenger side. 5-8 are front to rear on drivers side.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:52 PM

LxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant futureLxMan1 has a brilliant future
Firewall
4 8
3 7
2 6
1 5

Fan

It is the front plug on the drivers side.

88 5.0 LX Mustang
63 F100 351W/C6

Old 01-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Elder User

adelyser is starting off with a positive reputation.
Take it to Autozone. They will scan the codes for free, and a replacement coil is only $48.

Aaron
'88 F-250 SC Diesel 4x4, 7.3 NA, 4.10's
Old 12-03-2011, 11:52 PM
New User

Brian Langston is starting off with a positive reputation.
i have the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkA100 View Post
Anyone have a diagram or know of a website that shows how the cylinders in a 5.4 are numbered? I have a bad #5 Spark Coil that I need to locate so I can replace it! These damn coils keep dieing 1 at a time, this will be the fith one I've replaced in the last two years..... The killer is you have to pay Ford $80 to scan the OBDII, then pay $108.00 for the coil, so it's almost a two hundred dollar job if you do it yourself! I let ford do the first one and it cost me $350.00, I shoud have known something was up when I saw the handles and grease at the cash register. So far all of the failed coils have ohmed out to spec, so this means there has been no shorting or opening of the coil. Instead the cheap insulation used to isolate the turns is breaking down and the spark is arking across the coil body instead of the spark plug. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate.

MarkA
i invested in a code scanner so that i can do it myself. it has been well worth the money. I hate to pay some one for some thing I can do my self
Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 PM
New User

Terry Morris is starting off with a positive reputation.
SHOP SHOP SHOP. Don't even consider the auto dealers. The parts houses can vary by $20.00 for the same cop. The truth is that FOMOCO built a "designed to die early" part in the cop, so get used to changing them. I live in Springtown Texas and the ONLY technition that I have found, that knows his stuff, is DICKY. Ask the parts houses, they will know him
Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 AM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Morris View Post
SHOP SHOP SHOP. Don't even consider the auto dealers. The parts houses can vary by $20.00 for the same cop. The truth is that FOMOCO built a "designed to die early" part in the cop, so get used to changing them. I live in Springtown Texas and the ONLY technition that I have found, that knows his stuff, is DICKY. Ask the parts houses, they will know him
Not found any of this to be true, about OEM COP's anyway. I'm running a '00 E250, 5.4 motor with 266K miles, all original COP's. I did install a set of Granatelli COP's and they were problematic within a month or so.

OEM COP's do occasionally go bad but overall they're reliable and in the end worth the few extra bucks they cost. Shopping online or through one of FTE's sponsors gives you a few options, all well worth the effort.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:16 AM
New User

OEM parts

If the OEM parts are superior, why have all of the aftermarket suppliers prospered?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Post Fiend

JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Because the aftermarket guys promise improvements over stock parts which is rarely if ever proven. Plus OEM's tend to be sold by dealers which keep the price high, at least to the average consumer.

Ford's modular motors seem to have specific requirements that time and time again here in the FTE Forums have been shown to be better maintained by using OEM parts. O2 sensors & spark plugs are two items that immediately come to mind. Having already owned three E250's ('97, '00, '03) the stock exhaust systems are amazing (although expensive) and I've yet to see anything from the aftermarket match OEM parts.

That's just my opinion and after a while longer here it might seem much the same to you as well Terry Morris. Remember you heard it here first!

Welcome to FTE BTW!
Old 07-11-2012, 08:03 PM
New User

Latest for jwa

Been a Ford man all of my life. My first was a 41' coupe which I bought in 1956. I am happy that you are pleased with the OEM parts. If they fit your needs then Hola.

As for me, I still prefer to think my way through my own automotive problems and find my own answers.

I am peeved at our domestic auto industry. We can do better.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:32 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:

As for me, I still prefer to think my way through my own automotive problems and find my own answers.
Then you really don't need FTE do you?
Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 AM
New User

Apparently not, their former advice on missing F-150 trucks did not work, and now I'm stuck with you.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Apparently not, their former advice on missing F-150 trucks did not work, and now I'm stuck with you.
Nothing worse than useful advise even if its not to our individual liking ay?

Read here a while and see what others (besides me) have experienced. Along with my own COP failure and countless positive replies about OEM maybe you too will eventually agree?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:39 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)

Tags
1999, 2001, 3, 54, 54l, coil, cyl, cylinder, f150, ford, location, motor, numbering, numbers, truck