Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2005, 10:48 PM
New User

mikeAK is starting off with a positive reputation.
installing new glow plugs

How does one install the glow plugs in the 97 E350 PSD?

The manual says to remove the valve cover, but the link on the CD doesn't get me to the right picture.

I bought the autolite 1111, does it matter which plugs are used?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2005, 11:23 PM
Posting Guru

believer45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
First off, yes it does make a difference. I have run across many folks who have had problems with the Autolite glow plugs either swelling over time so you cannot get them out if replacement comes up (a pain but not a catastrophe) or breaking off inside the engine with the expected major internal damage. I would take them back and get the factory units. If you have AutoZone in your area they sell the Motorcraft (made by Beru) in Motorcraft part bags with the Ford part number on them for under $10 each. Their part number is ZD-11.

As for the installation, CLICK HERE to go to an excellent how to article on the glow plug system by Carpentractor.

Hope these help out - Carpentractor's article helped me a lot.
'95 F250 PSD, 5-spd, 4x2, Ext Cab, 3:55 rears, 285/75 x 16 Cooper Discoverer ATR, Putco Master Boss boards, open element AIR FILTER, homebuilt REAR BUMPER, with me in the cab (285#) and full of fuel weighs 6,580 lbs (steer 3420 drive 3160) - 280,000 miles.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:54 AM
New User

obmf2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Do NOT use the autolite glow plugs! I had four break off while removing. I spent hours removing three of of the broken ones from the top side. The fourth one broke and left the element in the head. Two dealers said the head would have to be removed. Instead i was able to remove it through the fuel injector hole. I dont ever want to do that job again. Please use the motorcraft glow plugs!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2005, 01:09 AM
New User

mikeAK is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was wondering if I could still use the autolite 1111 glow plugs if I used some sort of anti-sieze stuff?

So if I do use the motorcraft plugs, has anyone had trouble with them.

regards
Old 01-23-2005, 02:27 AM
Super Moderator

monsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputationmonsterbaby has a superb reputation
Anti sieze has nothing to do with it, it's not the threads on the head that are the problem it's the element itself as it swells up with repeated heating then when you try, and pull it out it doesn't fit through the hole, and breaks off leaving the tip sitting on top of the piston you might as well drop gravel into your intake (they will also just burn off and drop down also or so I have heard)

The one that says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one that is doing it
Old 01-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Posting Guru

believer45 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeAK
I was wondering if I could still use the autolite 1111 glow plugs if I used some sort of anti-sieze stuff?

So if I do use the motorcraft plugs, has anyone had trouble with them.

regards
I still would not run the Autolites. If you cannot return them chalk it up to a lesson learned and throw them as far from your truck as you can, use them as small paperweights but I strongly suggest you DO NOT install them in your engine. You may be one of the many who have no trouble with them or sell of the truck before failure but the percentage of problems with Autolites as compared to Motorcraft is exponentially higher.

As for Motorcraft, I have not had a problem with mine and I have not run across anyone else who has in four and a half years on 9+ forums that deal with diesels, Fords, towing and the like.

You can do as you wish.

Dave / Believer45
'95 F250 PSD, 5-spd, 4x2, Ext Cab, 3:55 rears, 285/75 x 16 Cooper Discoverer ATR, Putco Master Boss boards, open element AIR FILTER, homebuilt REAR BUMPER, with me in the cab (285#) and full of fuel weighs 6,580 lbs (steer 3420 drive 3160) - 280,000 miles.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:10 PM
New User

rus7755 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same problem with 3 glow plugs on my '97 F250 Powerstroke (206,000 miles). My mechanic is ready to remove both cylinder heads tomorrow due to siezed glow plug electrodes. He has tried (for several days) penetrating oil with no results. I am concerned at this point about debris from the electrode being left inside. Is it best to remove the heads now or should we keep on trying the penetrating oil method? If the heads are removed, what gotcha's are there that we should look for? How mush should head removal cost on a powerstroke?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
rus7755
Old 01-24-2005, 07:42 AM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
Welcome Mark, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! If you have a minute check out the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand FTE. Stick around someone will be by shortly...to answer your question.

We are pleased you have chosen the best source for Fords!
See you on the boards.
Enjoy FTE …..
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 AM
New User

hetmaster is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 1992 F350 with the 7.3. Would the articals you have posted help me replace my glow plugs too?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:04 AM
Posting Guru

KelVarnson is a name known to allKelVarnson is a name known to allKelVarnson is a name known to allKelVarnson is a name known to allKelVarnson is a name known to allKelVarnson is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeAK View Post
How does one install the glow plugs in the 97 E350 PSD?
May I ask why you are replacing the original ones? Have you verified they are bad?

They're just a resistor, not much to go wrong (aside from the Autolite horror stories), either they work, or they don't.

'02 F250 SCLB 7.3 4WD, 140k. 6637 Filter, ELC with bypass filter, $.50 mod, CCV delete, JW Valve Body, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Moog Ball Joints, 285/75 16 Michelin LTX-AT2's, Line-X, Snug-Top Shell, Yakima Racks.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Senior User

lartross is starting off with a positive reputation.
hetmaster, you have an idi. Go to the idi forum and they will have instructions for gp replacement [much easier than powerstroke]
Larry 2000 F250 sd, sc, 4x4 long bed 7.3l psd, auto, hutch/harpoon, 6637, 4" turbo back w/high flow muffler ,bypass oil filter, coolant filter, BDP tunes, ELC coolant, Riff/Raff intercooler boots, cvs mod, John Woods valve body, bellowed up pipes. B.E.S.T. map
Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1999, 73, 73l, autolite, cost, f250, glow, harness, install, installing, internal, motorcraft, obmf2, plug, plugs