Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Posting Guru

51ford fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
51 6 cylinder Flathead Oil Pres Question

Ok all you 226 7HA Flathead guys what kind of oil pressure is your gauge holding. When engine is warmed up I'm getting 20 psi at idle and 55 psi above idle.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:20 PM
Freshman User

jboren is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think the pressure relief should be set at 57 so it looks right to me. If those are "hot" figures then I believe that is real good. I don't have a mechanical gauge on mine but the stock electric gauge reads close to those same numbers and I know my engine is very tired! I don't think I have ever seen a bottom end that is any more overbuilt than the 226-H. That is a tough little motor.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:05 AM
Junior User

Lazy Hog Farmer is starting off with a positive reputation.
51, you can be very happy with your oil pressure. I have a freshly rebuilt 59A that has good start up pressure (50 lbs.) . At prolonged idle it drops to 7 psi. I know a knowledgable ex flathead racer and he says that if you have any kind of pressure at all at idle (5-10 lbs.) it is adequate. He,s given me much valuable info over the last few years and has not steered me wrong yet. Steve
Old 01-25-2005, 12:22 PM
Elder User

SteV8e is starting off with a positive reputation.
Anything more than 50 psi is a waste; it takes horsepower to pump oil to pressure. I concur that 5 psi at idle is adequate for a warm engine.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:27 PM
Posting Guru

51ford fan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks guys for the input.
Old 01-25-2005, 08:27 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6

Tags
1952, 7ha, blogs, clock, cylinder, diet, flathead, ford, kind, lost, motor, movement, movie, oil, people, reader, story, true, weight