np205 problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 10:32 AM
big79ford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
np205 problem

Hey guys i dropped my np205 off at the local transmission shop yesterday to have it gone over before i put it in my 79 bronco that has the full time 203. Well i get a call today from the mechanic (doesnt seem like hes the sharpest tool in the shed) anyways saying "the gears that make it go" have some teeth broken off or worn down. Does anyone know where i can get these or what is my best option. i cant find a forum that talks about having problems with the actaul gears themselves. If its worth it i am going to rebuild it myself. thanks

Old 01-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Boss_358
Posting Guru

Have you seen these broken gears for yourself? If not you may want to go in and have them show you the broken gears. Some shops are shady, and if they think they can take advantage of someone, they will. If there are broken or chipped teeth, then if they want to be considered a good or reputable shop, they should have a source where they can obtain the parts or information on where to get the parts. Otherwise bronco graveyard has all kinds of parts for those, maybe gears as well. I'm sure there are plenty of sources on the web, I just don't know of any for sure that would have the actual gears. Never had to replace any myself.

Old 01-20-2005, 12:28 PM
big79ford
New User
i stopped in the shop today and had him show me what he was talkin about, the SOB had trouble even finding teeth that were wore down let alone any that were broken off so needless to say i brought it home and ordered a gasket and seal kit from jbg and im going to try to put it back together myself hopefully he didnt f*** it all up. thanks for the reply boss

Old 01-20-2005, 03:17 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is one more reason I HATE taking anything to a "mechanic" to get it worked on. The 205 gear sets are pretty tough and next to impossible to break teeth on. There's really not much to mess up in there BigFord. If you've got a Haynes manual it'll walk you through the whole assembly process but it's pretty easy.

Old 01-20-2005, 04:11 PM
big79ford
New User
Yea, I have the Haynes manual but is there anything i should be aware of or is there any tips or tricks you guys can give me from ur previous experience? It would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-20-2005, 06:12 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only thing I will say is use vaseline or heavy grease to hold your needle bearings in place when you put it all together. That was the one thing that had me friggin postal when my case was all pulled apart. Once I figured out how to stick them in place so they'd stay put it went together fast.