Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Small Chassis Trucks > Ranger & B-Series
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2005, 09:47 AM
New User

cbelsches is starting off with a positive reputation.
2002 Ranger 3.0L Sounds Like Fan Belt squeal

This is driving me crazy. After about 1 minute after starting the truck it sounds like the fan belt is squealing..(below 30 deg outside) Only its not the fan belt as I replaced it. Does not do it when it is engine is operating temperature. Have checked all of the Pulleys which seem to be all right. The frequency of the squealing sound is about 1/3 the engine RPM and will go away above 2k when it does do it. Stopping at a stop light after about 45 seconds it really starts to get loud.
Has anyone ever heard of a Fan Clutch do this.. I beleive that this engine has a timing chain right? Any suggestions are welcome.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:45 PM
Post Fiend

CowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to allCowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to allCowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to allCowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to allCowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to allCowboyBilly9Mile is a name known to all
Welcome to FTE!!!

I would suggest cleaning the pulleys with a small wire brush and some brake cleaner. Dirt can accumulate in the grooves and cause belt squeal. Do this, of course, with the engine off.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:27 PM
Postmaster

00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation00BlueOvalRanger has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbelsches
This is driving me crazy. After about 1 minute after starting the truck it sounds like the fan belt is squealing..(below 30 deg outside) Only its not the fan belt as I replaced it. Does not do it when it is engine is operating temperature. Have checked all of the Pulleys which seem to be all right. The frequency of the squealing sound is about 1/3 the engine RPM and will go away above 2k when it does do it. Stopping at a stop light after about 45 seconds it really starts to get loud.
Has anyone ever heard of a Fan Clutch do this.. I beleive that this engine has a timing chain right? Any suggestions are welcome.
Just before I bought my '00Ranger 4x4 3.0 in November, I drove it, and it too, made the same noise.
I pulled it into my garage to have a listen, but couldn't find it.

I took the truck back to the dealer and told him about the noise.
He gave me some 'mumbo-jumbo' about an I-O-U to get it fixed when I buy the truck.
NOT! I told him when the truck is fixed, I would drive it again, then decide.

Turns out to be the bearing on the alternator!!!
They replaced the serpentine belt. . . didn't do it.
They replaced the belt tensioner. . . not.
They replaced the alternator. . . . it's as quiet as a little ole' lady in the back of the church!!! (My Mom!)

Worth a 'look-see'.

Good luck!!
Old 01-20-2005, 08:14 PM
New User

cbelsches is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks

Both of these suggestions are good ones.. Every time I go to isolate it stops..
But I will be ready.. Will post what it is when I finally nail it down.

Thanks again
Old 01-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Senior User

2K3 Mach is starting off with a positive reputation.
If you do a search on this, you'll get lots of hits...

Mine squeaked, especially when it was moist or humid out. And it actually sounded like the belt cause it had a pattern that sped up when reving the engine. I replaced both the tensioner and the idler pully (Which was crooked to the naked eye) and it's ALMOST gone. I can hear it slightly when it's wet out...
Old 01-27-2005, 11:03 PM
Postmaster

FTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to all
Idunthave1yet
With some personal experience with my...'99 3.L ..
I've noticed a more and more of a "squeal-less" truck with the replacement of these items:
*Water Pump (Bearing related)
*Thermal fan-clutch (a whining noise was eliminated)
*Idler pulley (a lite squeal was eliminated early on @92K)
*Alternator replacement yielded a minor loss in "avg-engine noise/squeal"

Stats:
'99 Ranger (in process of head removal due to possible crack #5cyl )
3.0L
SC - Amazon Grn
Old 01-27-2005, 11:10 PM
Postmaster

FTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to allFTE Trigger is a name known to all
Idunthave1yet
.....On a further note...
I noticed at avg. belt changing time...the engine did not take too well to the OEM belt, but instead ran quieter and tighter with a belt that cost a qtr of the price from an Autozone part store here (Kelly Springfield Belt) $16.
Ive tried belts from:
Napa $32
Pepboys $20
Advance Auto $18
OEM belt $51
(all in 2mos.time) with the Autozone belt being the quieter and tighter belt.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 PM
New User

ruggedtruck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00BlueOvalRanger View Post
Just before I bought my '00Ranger 4x4 3.0 in November, I drove it, and it too, made the same noise.
I pulled it into my garage to have a listen, but couldn't find it.

I took the truck back to the dealer and told him about the noise.
He gave me some 'mumbo-jumbo' about an I-O-U to get it fixed when I buy the truck.
NOT! I told him when the truck is fixed, I would drive it again, then decide.

Turns out to be the bearing on the alternator!!!
They replaced the serpentine belt. . . didn't do it.
They replaced the belt tensioner. . . not.
They replaced the alternator. . . . it's as quiet as a little ole' lady in the back of the church!!! (My Mom!)

Worth a 'look-see'.

Good luck!!
Turned out to be cam synchronizer on my 02 Ranger
Old 08-23-2014, 11:41 AM
Postmaster

g_k50 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Finally, an answer, whew, I've been waiting.

No, but seriously, it's a good thing to have that squeal diagnosed quickly due to the cam sychro being a prime component of the oil system of the 3.0L
Old 08-23-2014, 11:41 AM