Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With 44's what GPM can be expected on v10 vrs 7.3 and 6.0?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 02:11 PM
bigsub
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With 44's what GPM can be expected on v10 vrs 7.3 and 6.0?

I'm still trying to decide which X to get. I'm not to concerned with the initial price and i'm getting it used. I definitely plan on running 44's with the minimum amount of lift i can get by with. My question is since these tires are very heavy(even heavier then normal 44's) and I'll always have about 500lbs of gear with me that going to affect my fuel mileage just like pulling a trailer would. Thus very bad w/ the gasser and not so much with the diesel's. Is this correct?
Am I going to have to regear no matter which one i get to run the 44's or does one of the models come w/"close enough" gearing?

Old 01-18-2005, 03:53 PM
igotoneforya
Elder User
I have a V10 with 35s and 3.73 gears. I get about 11.5 in town and about 13.5 on the road. It will only get worse from there, probably into the singles at best for the Gas and 11-12 for the diesel. I did not go any bigger because of the gearing. Another guy on here has 37s and 3.73s and is planning to get 4.56 gears. I think the diesel should be better with that size tire since it is better down low but I do not think my X is weak by any means. I am sure you will have to change gears with whatever you get unless you get the diesel and seriously increase the output with propane injection and a chip for starters which would get you around 400hp and 700ft/lbs torque to the ground. You pay more for the motor initially but it is easier and cheaper to add power. Others have had 5.88s gears with that size tire, so I think 4.30s would be stretching it both ways. I thought about something similar, but went more economical. I wanted 39.5s but did not like the way it looked with the small wheel wells and I did not want to cut it. I am glad now that I went this way as it leaves more money for my son.

Last edited by igotoneforya; 01-18-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:10 PM
bigsub
Senior User
What happens if you don't use tall enough gears in these trucks? Tranny problems?

Old 01-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Crash687
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
putting larger tires changes the effective axel ratio. It would feel like driving a slug and you would probaly have tranny problems from hammering it all the time to get it to go.
(Original Tire Diameter / New Tire Diameter) X Original Axle Ratio = Effective Axle Ratio
(31.5/44)*3.73 = 2.67

(New Tire Diameter / Original Tire Diameter) X Original Axle Ratio = Required Axle Ratio
(44/31.5)*3.73 = 5.21

Old 01-19-2005, 12:10 AM
f250rangerexplorer
Posting Guru
an excursion would be cool with 44's. You need to post pics when you get it lifted and purchased.
-Aaron

Old 01-23-2005, 01:54 AM
bigsub
Senior User
Hey what parts of a factory warranty will this void? Thanks.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:44 PM
neilc88
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this would only void the engine, tranny, drivetrain, steering, and suspension components. Other than that you should be covered.

Old 01-23-2005, 10:36 PM
bigsub
Senior User
Originally Posted by neilc88
I think this would only void the engine, tranny, drivetrain, steering, and suspension components. Other than that you should be covered.

HAHA.....thats good. Well has anybody had luck with switching tires before you bring it into the dealer? What size tires will they allow?

Old 01-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Rev Den
Junior User
Originally Posted by bigsub
HAHA.....thats good. Well has anybody had luck with switching tires before you bring it into the dealer? What size tires will they allow?
So...if I understand you....WHEN you have a problem caused by your bigger tires and wrong gears, you want to put smaller tires on it and have the dealer warrenty the repairs?

If this is true....then...

Never mind how utterly stupid your truck will look with a huge lift and small tires, which will tip off the dealer....

BUT...

Why should the dealer take a loss for your bad choices?

Rev

Old 01-24-2005, 06:53 PM
bigsub
Senior User
Not really sure how to respond to that w/out starting a bitching match. I did expect that acquisation. Have you ever had something break that might have been caused by your driving style or one of your actions and still tried to have the dealer service it? Once i wanted to be an engineer but then i realized that it was almost gauranteed that i was going to be forced to design inferior product that were gonig to be marketed as superior at the sole decision of profit margin. We all know that the dealership and Ford just like most other companies does things for the bottom dollar and will weasle their way out of responsibility if they can maintain their image. If they're going to market these trucks "ford tough" like they do then they should hold up to 44's. If they don't then i'm probably going to break it even if i don't put 44's on it. Seriously, there is not much reason a transmission or xfer case should fail because of tire size, MUCH LESS an engine. But anyways, i'm still not saying its right(or wrong). Just that i have mixed feelings about it, and was asking if anyone had done it? Of course now nobody is going to admit it but oh well.

Old 01-24-2005, 07:05 PM
Rev Den
Junior User
Seriously, there is not much reason a transmission or xfer case should fail because of tire size,
Yea....don't want a flame war here either, at least you admit what your thinking...props for that.

As far as the quoted statement.....YES a trans will overheat due to the added load of turning big tires with the wrong gears. Bigger tires (in the size your thinking of) with stock gears cause additional stresses to everything in the drivetrain, it would not be unusual to see failures in trans, Xfer case, u-joints, and axles. Brakes will also be affected by the larger tires, it takes allot to stop a 44" tires, if you are thinking mudders, than the weight will kill your brakes allot faster than stock. I would think long and hard about all the upgrades before running 44's.

HTH

Rev

Old 01-24-2005, 07:48 PM
bigsub
Senior User
Well, in "my world" running the wrong gears wouldn't do anything but throw off ur speedo and gass mileage. I'll run the right gears. The wheels I have are even worse then mudders. their 425/65r 22.5.s i think they weight about 300+ each plus the 65 pound adapters. I don't think that big tires should wear anything anymore then pulling a trailer, especially not at GCVWR. Most the time I just think that the corners cut on our trucks aren't legitimate. They certainly aren't justified from the consumer standpoint.
Of course i spent $6k on axles(used) imported from germany so i guess i don't have much faith in "stock". I wish i could buy a mechanical diesel in a ford.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:51 AM
bigsub
Senior User
and i quote "And yes, if I have a need for warranty service I will be following the return to stock programing"

Old 01-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Rev Den
Junior User
Well, in "my world" running the wrong gears wouldn't do anything but throw off ur speedo and gass mileage. .....I don't think that big tires should wear anything anymore then pulling a trailer, especially not at GCVWR.
It is not all about wieght, by running the size tire you are thinking on stock axles (I know you said you were gonna replace them...good) you are effectivlly raising (numericlly lowering) your axles ratio...this has the effect of starting out in second or third gear...all the time...if tranny felt pain, yours would scream at this thought.

NOW....it sounds like you are planning to swap in axles (Unimog?) and run massive meats...I would love to see a write-up....and some pics.

Rock on.

Rev

Old 01-25-2005, 08:34 PM
bigsub
Senior User
Okay, but if you changed the axle ratio then you would be fixing that problem. But ford still wouldn't honor the waranty. I was kinda being a DumbA## about not changing the axle ratio. I was just trying to start something. You're right, i got u1300 unimog axles(2 steer). I'm gonna put them under my suburban for now on a one-link design suspension that i'm gonna experiment with a hydraulic suspension on it. I might put them under the excursion eventually, once i get it perfected, but by then there won't be any chance of warranty work, much less even getting service at the dealership.