96 Cummins 12Valve into an '88 F350

Old 08-22-2005, 12:47 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so basically just reuse the gas harness to hook up the guages? I was thinking that way, just wasn't sure. I also was wondering on the fuel tank and pumps, if the electric pumps supply too much pressure, or if I can leave them, then whether to use the mechanical or not. I have the tank from the Dodge donor, but it would be nice to retain the dual tanks.Thanks for the info, I thought I knew what I was getting into, but is proving to be a little more than expected, but that's the way these things seem to go. I'm not new to conversions, but gasoline injection is a PITA for doing this...

Old 08-22-2005, 01:35 PM
DannyP
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fellro86
so basically just reuse the gas harness to hook up the guages? I was thinking that way, just wasn't sure. I also was wondering on the fuel tank and pumps, if the electric pumps supply too much pressure, or if I can leave them, then whether to use the mechanical or not. I have the tank from the Dodge donor, but it would be nice to retain the dual tanks.Thanks for the info, I thought I knew what I was getting into, but is proving to be a little more than expected, but that's the way these things seem to go. I'm not new to conversions, but gasoline injection is a PITA for doing this...
You need to find a diesel donor truck and get both tanks in their entirety complete with the larger diesel filler neck. The gas tanks are physically the same as the diesels, but since you need so much stuff you just as well buy the whole thing. You can't use your current gasoline sending unit assembly with the fuel injection pumps attached. While your stripping the donor also get the hard plastic fuel lines that run from the tanks to the engine (make sure the junkyard doesn't cut them to get the tanks off), the tank selector valve, and the switch on the dash. The gas tank selector switch on my 93 was not functionally compatible with the diesel tank selector valve. You will have to do some rewiring to get this all to work. If you have an ohmmeter and a wiring schematic it won't take you long to figure out what needs to be done.
Danny

Old 08-22-2005, 02:05 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
That was what I figured, I thought the pumps were too high pressure and not really compatible for diesel anyway. I'm hoping to be able to reuse the Dodge tank and lines, I have to extend the lines as the donor was extended cab, the recipient is a crew cab. I already figured out the switching is different, instead of having an actual switch, it turns off the pumps, must be check valves somewhere in the system to prevent transfer to the other tank... My father has an 84 that I can probably rob some of the parts from to make it work, just for now it will end up being single tank. Have to see how that works out as to whether I bother with the second...

Old 08-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Saurian
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd have thought you were going to run the second tank for Biodiesel?

Old 08-22-2005, 06:41 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Bio can be run in either, it's straight veggie that a second tank is good for... this isn't my rig to keep, but I am being careful to make it bio ready as much as I can, I.E. no exposed rubber lines... the second will possibly be done later, just need to get the truck mobile first...

Old 09-13-2005, 01:15 AM
fellro86
Hotshot
Thought I would revive this thread to share some links to help anyone wanting to do this kind of swap... http://www.cummins-conversion.com. http://www.autoworldmt.com Cummins conversion is quite informative, finally saw some pics of the motor mounts so I can more easily figure mine out. They aren't too keen on fordcummins products and workmanship, they direct more to the autoworld parts, or Reliable Diesel of Mesa, Arizona, but I have yet to get a call back from them...(Reliable Diesel)