Nova Scotia Join Chapter, Leader:

NB RCMP are taking trucks off of the road?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Tepot
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NB RCMP are taking trucks off of the road?

Hey guys,

Just found out that there was a regional forum for us. good thing. I'll come and check it out more often.

The reason why I created this post is because I need to have more info on the supposed lift law in NB.

I was told that there was only one inspector in NB that could inspect the trucks. And he's in Fredericton. A Friend of mine is working for the RCMP and he told me that the only reason why they would remove a truck from the road is if you would have change your 15" rims for 16" and didn't change your factory brakes system for a bigger one.

he said that most of the truck they will remove from the road are normally the ones causing trouble. I have a 3" body lift running on 35" tires and he told me that he wouldn't remove a truck like mine from the road without having a really good reason.

What I could read on news papers was that even if they would remove your plates, the lawers said that there was no such law in New-Brunswick and that you should drive your truck on the road anyways. Cause when it's time to go in court. You will win your case easily and have your truck on the road again cause there is no such law.anyways not yet.

Last time I eared anything , they told me that they were more strict in the Miramichi Region, don't know why?

Does anybody knows anything more about this. I would like to go in big details about this cause I'm going with an extra 6" suspension lift on my truck to prevent my 35" to rub on my fenders. So I will be 9" lift total on 35" tires.

I would hate investing that money for nothing.

Old 01-14-2005, 01:51 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
Yes it is true that a couple of guys have had their vehicles taken off the road by the District 2 RCMP. One fella has a Jeep Cherokee with ( I believe ) a 3" suspension lift and 31" tires. The "Inspector" on the Hanwell road stated that the lift compromised the vehicles centre of gravity, and that the larger wheels compromised braking ability and put too much stress on the wheel bearings. He did all this in a five minute walk around. He did not take into consideration that the offset wheels make up for the lift, and from what I have heard from knowledgable Jeep owners, is cluless about the wheel bearings. There is much speculation as to his credability.

Bossind will chime in with more detail as soon as he sees this I am sure.

-Matt

Old 01-15-2005, 10:54 AM
CdnSoldier
Senior User
We fellas, maybe he should watch trucks. My wifes 98 Ex comes with either 15s or 16s and the brakes are the same. The newer ones have 17s and have the same brake rotors.
I would love to see this guy's mech certificate. Maybe from Mechs.COM (laugh). I have read a few books on lifting trucks. There is a recommendation for better brakes. But it also states brakes don't have to be bigger. Just new, replaceing your lines, pads, and rotors.
I'm replacing the drums on my Aero for disc. I would love to have to get a inspection. I'm getting the Ford replacment ones.

Old 01-15-2005, 06:08 PM
bossind
Elder User
Rim size has nothing to do with it, but tire height sure does.

The province of NB has requested that the RCMP ticket any vehicle that looks visually modified for recertification. Right now there is no one that will recertification a 4x4 that has the geometry of the suspension changed. 3 jeeps and 1 chev 1/2 ton have been taken off of the road in the last 4 months because of this. 1 Of those jeeps was parked at the mall, the others were just driving down the road, all had 3” lift or less except for the chev which has a 6” lift. All lifts were professional kits (skyjacker). no one was causing trouble or breaking anylaw, other than looking modified.

Right now there is no court process or a means to appeal other than to sue, so unless you have lots of money -your outa luck!

There is a web site dedicated to support 4x4s, anyone interested in knowing the address can PM me and I will send it to you. They also have a lawyer and are in the process of trying to work with the RCMP, MVA and the province to hopefully sort this out. There is also a meeting tomorrow. (Sunday)

As for upgrading brakes from drums to disc. The inspector sees this as an improvement and has no problem with this type of mod.

Last edited by bossind; 01-15-2005 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:55 PM
Tepot
Senior User
Hey Bossind,

Do you have any updates on what happend or what progress have they made in the last meeting?

Old 01-30-2005, 03:17 PM
dsldandually
Senior User
So I'm from Maine and spend time in Sussex NB I have a 2000 F-150 with 35's what if anything can they do to me if I'm from "outta state" or will they just not let me across the border? Thanks
Dan

Old 01-30-2005, 03:31 PM
bossind
Elder User
Think you'll be ok from out state. Only be a problem if you decided to change your plates for NB.

Old 01-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Tepot
Senior User
We are always talking about suspension mods, to they have anything against body lifts?

I currentrly have 33" with a 3" body lift. Will they remove me off the road with a configuration like this.

I'm ****ed that they are trying to get our trucks off the road. Is there any reason why.

Since when do you see 4X4 involved or responsible for accidents on the roads. I bet there is more Honda civics involved in accidents and I don't think they will remove them soon.

Old 01-30-2005, 09:08 PM
bossind
Elder User
The RCMP claim the province has instructed them to take off any vehicle off the road that appears to be modified. So yes I think they will stop you, just a matter of time. Also many feel a suspension lift is the proper way to lift a truck and that a body lift is less desirable not sure how the engineer will view it. As for accidents: Well actully there have been many, when we started to look into it it was surprising of how many there was.

Old 01-31-2005, 07:27 AM
Tepot
Senior User
oh, so there was alot of accidents? Damn. So we will have to pay for everybody else mistakes again. that's @#$@#%@ nice.

So are we sure that such a law will come in place?

Right now i'm very disapointed. I've put alot of money in my truck recentrly. I've just got my inline 6 EFI engine swapped for a 302 V8 EFI with headers and dual exaust. I like my truck the way it is now.

If they make me remove my lift and 33". I'll have to sell the truck. I'm not keeping a strait looking truck. there's too many out there. I'll probably end up buying a muscle car.

That sucks. cause I really like my truck.

Do you know if there will be a way to keep them like this or will it be over for sure for big trucks in NB?

The reason why i'm asking is because I was supposed to buy 35" tires this summer and another 6" suspension lift as well.

Now I don't know what to do? I don't want to spend 2500$ and get stuck with everything after.

Any comments?

Old 02-03-2005, 07:04 PM
bossind
Elder User
Apparently the law has always been in effect, now they are inforcing it.
Visit the 4x4preservation.ca site for more details. Get involved and help fight this.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:59 PM
BlueOvalBaker
Senior User
Is there any actual lft limits or just tire limits?

Old 02-05-2005, 09:30 AM
bossind
Elder User
Both, they are saying you can not alter your car or truck from the way it was certified from the factory. Once you make those changes your car or truck is no longer certified for the road.

Old 02-05-2005, 03:14 PM
BlueOvalBaker
Senior User
See, thing is, I'm in N.S., so I think I'm safe for a little more time. If any, are there laws on the lifts alone of trucks in N.s., or tire width(i.e. outside of tire to outside of tire, not 32 x 10 x 8)

Old 02-05-2005, 03:51 PM
bossind
Elder User
Well its a small border so whats happening here may jump over.

Quick Reply: NB RCMP are taking trucks off of the road?