2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting Retrax Retractable Rolltop Cover Installed Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 08:55 AM
wedgewood
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is exactly why I chose the Retrax. I bought some 8' lumber this weekend. I just opened the retrax a little and stuck it in there. If I would have had a lid type cover, would have had to fiddle with keeping the lid down, and so on. I worried over this for a good while. It was between the Retrax and a Under Cover lid. For my day to day use of the truck the Retrax just made more sense. I know you can remove the lid types if you want to haul something tall or long. You have to think of that before hand and help would be nice. Dont do well with either one of those options.

By the way. If you live with ice and snow. Get the protective cover for the latch. I put it on right away, but I can see that the latch would be a pain to open without it.

As far as a dirt bike goes. There is aprox 12" from the bottom of the canister to the bed. Remember that the canister(where the tire would hit) is made of thin metal. Would think you would have to tie the bike down, not using the canister to brace up to. If that makes sense.

To do over again, I would have put a little more thought into how and where to put on the tail gate gasket. Pretty much committed, once you start peeling and sticking.

Old 01-17-2005, 02:14 PM
ITDave
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks

Thanks for the feedback.

What would you have done differently with the gate gasket?

I am having mine installed tomorrow.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 01-17-2005, 02:38 PM
wedgewood
New User
Good question. I do not know exactly how I would do it any different. I am just not sure I like slamming the tail gate shut. Maybe a thinner gasket, or not at all, in the close spots.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:43 PM
k80kid
Freshman User
I can not decide between the Retrack's or the Pace Edwards "Jack Rabbit" any input???

Old 01-17-2005, 04:08 PM
ITDave
Elder User
Jack Rabbit

All I know is that there are a few posts on here discussing the Jack Rabbit and I heard a whole lot more negative about that one than this.

This one (Retrax) is made of Lexan, which is a high tech polymer material I believe. It is used to make Aircraft windows, military, commercial and civilian due to its durability. If you go to their web site you can also see illustrations and videos about how it has its own track, even as it rolls around it inside of the box, so that it never makes contact with its self, thus no self inflicted damage unlike most if not all other retractables.

Another bonus is, you wont have to replace the top as often if ever.

Wow, should I be selling these? Probably not.... I am just going off of what others say, starting tomorrow afternoon, I will be able to pose my own opinion.

Good Luck,

Dave

Old 01-17-2005, 08:40 PM
satrial4x4
New User
I installed my Retrax about 3 months ago....I Love It! Two of my neighbors have the hard top covers and now they are going to replace them with the Retrax after checking out mine.

It is well worth it. very few litle drops of water in the bed after running through the carwash, sometimes, no water at all.

I have the gate gasket from retrax....works fine.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:56 AM
ITDave
Elder User
There you have it...

There you have it...

Do you have any pics?

Dave

Old 01-18-2005, 12:58 AM
ITDave
Elder User
Originally Posted by satrial4x4
I installed my Retrax about 3 months ago....I Love It! Two of my neighbors have the hard top covers and now they are going to replace them with the Retrax after checking out mine.

It is well worth it. very few litle drops of water in the bed after running through the carwash, sometimes, no water at all.

I have the gate gasket from retrax....works fine.
Do you know how far down the gate gasket goes from the edge of the top of the bed bottom? (Down toward the top of the bumper?)

Thanks,

Dave