1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

# 6 misfire figured out.

Old 01-12-2005, 06:54 PM
code_red
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up # 6 misfire figured out.

Welp just thought ide post this incase it might help someone out as for a misfiring cylinder problem. Ive been having my number 6 cylinder misfire on me. It happened after a ran through a deep puddle about 3 months ago. The truck instantly ran poor afterwards , so i replaced spark plugs. Then ran ok for a short time and went back to poor once again in about a few days.Puzzled and baffled, I had already changed the plug wires,coil packs and crank trigger about a year before the incident. I figured it could not be those items for they where already fairly new, and now with new plugs, welp what could i have missed, that was causing it to go bad on me? Then i read some of the articles on plug wires and got to thinking about how the number 6 plug wire didnt seem to snap down on the plug when i put the new one in. So off i went under the hood to pull off the #6 plug wire, and wow i was suprised. There was about an inch or so of standing water in the plug hole. So i used some compressed air and blew out the hole and took the plug and cleaned it, regaped, and put it back in with some silicone dielectric compound and crimped the boot a little for a snap tight fit. Put all things back together and welp, It made somewhat of a difference, but still had the miss to it. I had not replaced the plug wires with motocraft ones or equivalent instead went the cheap route, and due to this the plug boot wasnt sealing the hole properly and in came the water.My next step is to buy new motorcraft plug wires and a new plug for 6 and go from there. Im pretty confident this is gonna cure the miss problem with #6. I will keep you posted as how it turns out. the forums here at ford enthusiats really shed some light on this situation and ty all for the advice.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:15 PM
Racerguy
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for letting us know what you found

Search this Thread