2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New trucks paint begining to looks terrible

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 03:13 PM
x-star
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New trucks paint begining to looks terrible

Hey everyone. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

I have a 2004 Black FX4. I've had it for only a few months now and the paint is already looking real bad. The swirl marks are getting out of hand just from normal washes. I know, I know, it's a black truck........Anyway; I am looking for some remarks on something that I think my dealer calls "New Finish". I'm not sure if this is a normal thing for all Ford dealerships to offer or if it is something specific to my area/dealership but I don't think I got it when I bought me truck. Apparently, at least to my understanding, is that this is something that is put on your paint as a protestant and the dealership will fix problems like what I am having. Has anybody gotten this when they purchased their truck? Is this the reason why my swirl marks are getting bad? Can I still purchase this option?<O</O

I guess what I am trying to get at is how can I rectify this problem? The truck came with a few swirls from the normal washing at the dealership so I opted not to get this so called "New Finish" because I didn't want them to seal in the swirl marks under some protective coating so I would never be able to rid my truck of them.

<O</OI just can't take the swirls any longer...... Any suggestions????<O</O
<!-- / message -->

Old 01-12-2005, 03:20 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Swirl marks are not as a result of washing but as a result of a power buffer! I never buy those protectant packages from the dealer, to me they are waste of $$. I would bet that the swirl marks are from either detailing the vehicle before your taking possession, or someone somewhere detailed your vehicle with a power buffer. You can purchase a clay bar finish restorer from your local auto parts store. Follow the instructions.

Last edited by KevinM; 01-12-2005 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:23 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
Hey x-star, I also have a black FX4, but have been lucky in that no swirl marks have appeared yet (almost 1 yr and 11,000 miles). I've been real careful; washing with the Mr. Clean system and a wool mitt, then waxing w/ Meguires NXT. So far, she looks great.

I noticed you also posted in the "appearance" forum. You'll get good advice there too. Basically, you probably want to use a clay bar to restore the finish and remove the swirls. Then I would wax w/ NXT and wax again.

But you're gonna get more opinions than Carter's got pills, so take whatever advice you think best. In any event, you'll get your truck looking awesome again!

Good luck!

Old 01-12-2005, 03:30 PM
x-star
Freshman User
Thanks so far guys, but as far as stating that the swirls are a result of using a power buffer, the truck has never been touched with a power buffer. I guess I should have mentioned that the swirls are getting worse after every car wash at the local 100% hand wash. They are only noticable if the sun is hitting the paint dirrectly and they are very very fine swirls. Therefor, I am assuming they are coming from the towels used to dry the truck. Maybe I made it sound like they are super deep scratches that will never come out. I have tryed using a glaze, followed by a polymer sealent, and then a good carnuba wax. All done by hand with no results. I have also tried a buffing compound with a cut of 3 out of 10. This didn't make it worse but it didn't help either..........

Old 01-12-2005, 03:31 PM
STXABYSS
New User
How is the Mr. Clean System? I've heard a wide range of reviews...is it safe to use on clear coat paint?

Old 01-12-2005, 03:35 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I still think the dealer did it while detailing, and the wax is coming offer exposing more.
Get the clay bar kit!

Old 01-12-2005, 04:41 PM
ATCS2004
Senior User
Originally Posted by STXABYSS
How is the Mr. Clean System? I've heard a wide range of reviews...is it safe to use on clear coat paint?
I have been using the Mr. Clean system for about a year now and love it. It really helps reduce the spotting. If its real hot, you may get a few streaks, so I just wipe those areas with a wet shammy. Sure saves lots of time drying.

I also use Meguires NXT when waxing. Truck still looks great after 14k.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:41 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
STXabyss...mr. clean is good for my applications, the soap does a good job and the deionized water for rinse really works (it comes out in a V-patterned spray, so I just use the same motion as using a spray gun to force off the actual rinse water). I would imagine it's safe for clear-coat, hasn't harmed my finish at all. Just make sure the wash mitt is clean every time.

Nothing is going to work in direct sunlight...it'll spot regardless...the mr clean system really minimizes it. Of course, this is my opinion only!!!

X-star, you're probably right...the towels they're using to dry were probably so filled with crap that they caused the swirls. That's why I like mr. clean system; no need to towel dry!

Like KevinM says...time to call out the clay bar!! Search the "appearance" forum and you'll get alot of good tips for clay bar and protection afterwards!

Old 01-12-2005, 05:33 PM
x-star
Freshman User
Sounds like everyone thinks this clay bar is the way to go....I've actually used one on my old vehicle before. It was a dark blue astro van. Didn't seem to do much to that old jalopy. Why do you all think that this clay bar will help so much? My impression was the the bar removed impurities from the paint. Am I wrong? Why is this clay bar going to remove swirl marks?

Old 01-12-2005, 05:57 PM
shortbutslow
New User
X-star,
Look at Zaino brothers on the net. I have a black race car and this stuff does wonders.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:41 PM
nisiar
Senior User
Originally Posted by x-star
Hey everyone. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

I have a 2004 Black FX4. I've had it for only a few months now and the paint is already looking real bad. The swirl marks are getting out of hand just from normal washes. I know, I know, it's a black truck........Anyway; I am looking for some remarks on something that I think my dealer calls "New Finish". I'm not sure if this is a normal thing for all Ford dealerships to offer or if it is something specific to my area/dealership but I don't think I got it when I bought me truck. Apparently, at least to my understanding, is that this is something that is put on your paint as a protestant and the dealership will fix problems like what I am having. Has anybody gotten this when they purchased their truck? Is this the reason why my swirl marks are getting bad? Can I still purchase this option?<O</O
The New Finish is just another one of those high-profit dealer rip-off's that I can't believe is still selling. I was duped 10 years ago with this product, its just a synthetic sealer. The scam is that the fancy warranty and promises are null and void if you don't personally reapply the product 4x a year! (fine print)

Old 01-12-2005, 08:51 PM
DonsFx4
Elder User
x-star...you're truck is still new, and I'm thinking the swirls are just in the clearcoat, not the paint. A clay bar, carefully applied, should polish out those scratches.

I say "carefully applied" because too much elbow grease might just waste away the clear coat and then you're into the paint. I want to keep that clear coat on for as long as I can!

Old 01-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Toreador
Elder User
My bet is also that the swirls are in the clearcoat. Use Mguiars Scratch X which will work great to remove swirls. Then use a great protecting wax like Maguiars or Zanio. Best bet is to go to Google and research the heck out of the problem then make the right moves. Good luck xstar.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:28 PM
Mathwiz
Junior User
Xstar,

Go to www.detailcity.com and start reading in the Main Street Detailing forum. Great bunch of folks that will answer any question you may have. These guys are the pros and will get you going in the right direction.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:45 PM
Birdhunter1
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
X-star, I also have a black F-150 and the best thing I have found for taking care of small scrathces or swirls is to use the color magic wax by Turtle wax. It is a black wax that doesn't exactly take the scratches out it just fills them in with wax so you don't see them. Works great for the lower portion of my truck wher eit is more rpone to rock chips and such.

Quick Reply: New trucks paint begining to looks terrible