Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2005, 12:27 PM
New User

Jonathan Mormile is starting off with a positive reputation.
Recommendation for 2004 Expedition stereo upgrade

Hello. I am looking for a little help recommending an upgrade for my stock stereo in my 04 Expedition SLT.

I am considering these two options:

Option One: I have a Hifonics 2x50watt amp (with built in crossover) that I could use for a subwoofer and just use my stock door speakers for the highs and mids, but I am not sure I want to do that. If I did should I upgrade the stock door speakers or just turn down the bass? (I am not sure I am sold on the SLT OEM door speakers - they sound a little weak) I have a local guy that will build a small box (for a 10" Quantum?? sub - downfiring so to hide the sub, sort of) and he said that the door speakers would be fine, but since I dont have a cargo cover (because of the 3rd row seat) I don't want it to get stolen (because it will be able to be seen).

Option two: Buy a 4 channel amp and upgrade the door speakers with better quality 3 way speakers. Will I get alternator noise/interference from this type of installation? I was told by another stereo shop that they would not do this type of install because the speakers would eventually produce alternator or other interference noise and I would be back at their door complaining (this shop does not do much custom stereo work). I understand that I won't get the same "punch" as having a subwoofer but I am really looking for sound quality over boom (high highs and low lows).

I would really like to go with the second option if possible (the wife does not want a subwoofer box in the back and I don't want to get my stuff stolen since the box will be able to be seen) and would greatly appreciate any feedback from any of you that has experience with this type of application.

Thanks fellas,

Jon
Old 01-12-2005, 03:17 PM
Senior User

kontai69 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Mormile
Buy a 4 channel amp and upgrade the door speakers with better quality 3 way speakers. Will I get alternator noise/interference from this type of installation? I was told by another stereo shop that they would not do this type of install because the speakers would eventually produce alternator or other interference noise
The primarily cause of alternator noise (or whine) coming from the speakers is improper grounding of the amp that is driving the speakers. A properly grounded (i.e. properly installed) amp should not give you any problems.
You will need a line out convertor to hook up an amp to the factory head unit...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RMR3s84...+out+converter
Old 01-13-2005, 08:39 AM
New User

79wolf is starting off with a positive reputation.
kontai69 is correct, alternator whine/engine noise/etc. is mostly caused by inproper installation. Yes, equipment failure will cause it as well, but mostly installation.

You will be a lot happier with your second option. You are already questioning the stock speakers now, and adding a sub (like your first option) will only add that, a sub, no improvement with the rest of the system. Yes a sub is easier to add to a system, but I still say you're wanting to improve the mids and highs first. It may be a bit more costly, and a little more involved, but find a good shop that will tell you changing out the door speakers and adding a 4 channel amp to them before adding a sub is a good thing. They should recommend you do one more thing, and I am going to recommend it as well. Don't keep your factory radio. Adding sub to factory radio, ok, because you're not looking to improve sound, just add thump. If you go through the trouble to add a 4 channel and 4 new speakers, your weakest link is you fact radio, and that is a very weak link. You need a radio with at least 2 sets of RCA preouts, a decent Pioneer or Alpine in the $150 range should have that. As far as speakers go, one thing that most people don't consider is that the rear speakers do not have to match the fronts, i.e. put the best pair of speakers in the front because from the driver's seat that is what you will hear, very little from the rear. Seperate the cost out like 60% front/40% rear, or higher, unless you care about what is sounds like to the people in the back more than yourself lol . Just remember you do get what you pay for in this industry. And that the best equipment installed poorly will never be better than the cheapest system done right.

If you have any more questions, I'm sure there's more that a few of us installers floating around here willing to lend a hand
Old 01-13-2005, 08:39 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Audio & Video Systems, Navigation, Satellite Radio & Mobile Electronics

Tags
2004, custum, expedition, options, radio, stereo, upgrade