1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superduty auto-locking 4X4 hubs

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Big T
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Superduty auto-locking 4X4 hubs

Can someone explain to me how the auto-locking hubs on a Superduty work, in-particular the auto part? I recently had trouble with mine and replaced them with a set of aftermarket manual hubs that the manufacturer insisted were the correct application. They worked as far as locking in and out manually, but when I was traveling down the road and hit a bump I'd hear a loud howling noise in the front end. I guess you could say I learned my lesson about aftermarket parts, but I'm curious to know how the automatic part of the auto-locking hubs work on a truck equipped with shift-on-the-fly 4X4? Thanks.

Old 01-11-2005, 09:47 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Pretty simple really. When in auto and you flip the switch a vacuum signal is sent to each hub to lock. when you go back to 2wd the hubs go back to unlocked. But they are the weak link in the fords 4wd system. They don't always work!!!
Warn premiums is the way to go..

Welcome to FTE

Old 01-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Todder
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would advise only using 4x4 without locking the hubs for a short time, but if you need to give her hell manually lock it in.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:14 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Warn's are the only Aftermarket ones I would go with. As far as the auto locking piece it was the only thing I did not want on my truck when I got it. I just was not patient enough to wait to order one so I conceded and took the one they had on the lot.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:24 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have been using my autoloc hubs quite extensively with all of the snow in my neck of the woods. I haven't had any failure in attaining 4x4 in the 5300 miles I have on the truck so far. Is there something I should be aware of as far as counting on my 4x4 when needed? I thought that the combination auto/manual hubs were a good idea but sure don't want any surprises when I need good traction.

Old 01-11-2005, 10:31 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
I would say probably 40-50 % don't work all the time.
From what I hear ....

Old 01-11-2005, 11:01 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder why that is. Is Ford aware of this? It seems that it could be a legal concern for them if someone should lose it is snow when they counted on their four wheel drive for safe operation. No recalls??? Does this include the 2005 Super Duties or just the earlier models?

Old 01-11-2005, 11:37 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 99f350sd
I would say probably 40-50 % don't work all the time.
From what I hear ....
I think that is probably a pretty high number but I agree that their Pulse vacuum system definitely has had issues. That's why after a few more years and a lot more miles I will be putting the Manual hubs in from Warn.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:41 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Does Ford know about it? Why do you think they gave us the option of manual lock in the first place.......

Some folks have 10K; some 150K before having trouble with their hubs. There's a few reasons for such a widespread and one is lack of use. Another is how the truck is treated - if driven harsh on rough surfaces the front wheel bearings wear out quicker causing the vacuum to be ineffective due to bad seals and such.

If you get aftermarket - as stated - the Warns are the best buy at somewhere between $175 to $200 per set.

I happen to agree with 99f350sd on the percentage failing. Note he said "all the time", which means they may work fine for a week, then just refuse to cooperate all of a sudden...out of the blue, then they just might kick in next time. At least I'm pretty sure that's what he meant.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:14 AM
sdoomaha
New User
In the same vein....I've been fighting a battle with the lock out on the passenger side. At first when in free mode it would howl whenever I hit a bump...then would do it progressively more often, bump or no bump. With y'alls help i got it pulled, cleaned up, greased up and reinstalled. Everything in it looked fine and I chalked it up to just having dry bearings. Went fine for a couple weeks, now an intermittent noise is back, not the howl, but a rumbling like the gears in the lock out are just barely hitting each other. Recycler wants too much for a used one....$125. Anyone ever try to rebuild one? Do they have individual parts available like the bearings and the race, or does Ford make you buy a whole new set?

Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks.
Steve
99 Superduty CC V10 XLT Lariat

Old 01-12-2005, 10:30 AM
F250Wheels
Elder User
A good share of problems with auto hubs comes from operator control, I've had no ploblems with mine. I only shift it in when i am rolling srtaight and no tire spin. Also, if you don't like the auto hubs save your money. The factory hubs will also work as manual hubs just like the warner hubs.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sdoomaha
In the same vein....I've been fighting a battle with the lock out on the passenger side. At first when in free mode it would howl whenever I hit a bump...then would do it progressively more often, bump or no bump. With y'alls help i got it pulled, cleaned up, greased up and reinstalled. Everything in it looked fine and I chalked it up to just having dry bearings. Went fine for a couple weeks, now an intermittent noise is back, not the howl, but a rumbling like the gears in the lock out are just barely hitting each other. Recycler wants too much for a used one....$125. Anyone ever try to rebuild one? Do they have individual parts available like the bearings and the race, or does Ford make you buy a whole new set?

Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks.
Steve
99 Superduty CC V10 XLT Lariat
I don't want to sound pessimistic, Steve, but just get another or go to a junkyard and pick up one. Once the auto hubs start falling apart they're heck to rebuild and unless you know all the quarks about them, might be a waste of time and money.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:55 AM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Rebuilding is a pain. I replaced them on a 99 and they still did not work. Turns out that the mechanic forgot to put a .99 cent o-ring on the outside of one to keep pressure. I would never replace them with the stock unit once one went out. They do go out but 50% of the time is still too high but I agree they are junk.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:57 AM
Error
New User
Mine are finicky at best in a 2000 F250SD V10. Sometimes they lock and sometimes they don't. They usually fail when I really need them, or when it's really cold. The left front usually doesn't unlock unless I drive in reverse for awhile or jiggle it myself from underneath the truck. It's a system that my father warned me about, I went with anyway and get the "I told you so" look, everytime we go hunting. **groan**

Old 01-12-2005, 02:57 PM
OverHeight
Tuned
I just want to make sure I understand how this works.

You can shift between 2 and 4 wheel drive with the dash switch whenever you want. But if you want dedicated 4x4 then manually lock the hubs and use the switch to engage the transfer case only?

Quick Reply: Superduty auto-locking 4X4 hubs