2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ashtray rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 01:13 AM
fordcanucktruck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I've got the same ashtray problem

Don't get me wrong, I love my truck. But the ashtray drives me crazy. Remember, Ford advertised how quiet this cab is, and my ashtray has rattled from the first day I owned it. Has anybody visited a dealership to have this addressed? Or done anything to fix it that's actually worked? Thanks.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:40 AM
nutria rat
New User
Not Joking - Ashtray is a total POS

One of the main functions of this board is to provide an outlet for concerns or ideas for improvement. I would not own any other 4x truck, but I still have minor issues with it. Ford is marketing this truck based on its quiet and luxurious ride, but the ride is hard to enjoy with a loud and obnoxious rattle. My expectation for a $38,000 truck does not include an obnoxious rattle from a simple ashtray, but maybe this is acceptable to you. May sound like petty whining to you, but that is the purpose of this board. Why are you even reading this board if your truck is so perfect and has zero opportunity for improvement?

Old 02-08-2005, 01:11 PM
wedgewood
New User
Mine also rattles when it is cold. It seemed to help when I removed the insert. I am taking it in next week for some other stuff, it is on the list. Of course, the day I take it in, it might not be that cold. Will see what they say. This is what the warranty is for. I also have a drivers door rattle that is cold related.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Pylda
Junior User
Originally Posted by fordcanucktruck
Don't get me wrong, I love my truck. But the ashtray drives me crazy. Remember, Ford advertised how quiet this cab is, and my ashtray has rattled from the first day I owned it. Has anybody visited a dealership to have this addressed? Or done anything to fix it that's actually worked? Thanks.
If the ashtray rattled when the truck was test driven, why did you buy the truck. Im only assuming that you test drove the truck first. But you did say that your ashtray has rattled from the first day you owned it.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:35 PM
fordcanucktruck
Freshman User
I noticed a lot of things on the test drive, I'm sure. But honestly, is a fellow supposed to notice every little thing during the 15-30 minutes the average test drive takes? I'm talking about a rattle, here, not a catastrophic drivetrain rumble, or a hole in the door. Jeepers.

The rattle is the kind of thing that you notice when you've been driving for a while, and then, of course, if you're like I am, once you've noticed it, you can't stop hearing it...

Old 02-08-2005, 07:01 PM
northbound350
Freshman User
I really shouldn't post, when I'm laughing. But whatever. My ashtray also rattles as stated earlier on this post. Only looking for tips to stop it, if possible. My truck is not for sale because of it. Hellooooo. If it is to rattle forever, then so be it. That's why I like this board, because its not like most others. No one runs around getting a kick out of putting others down because of a question. Keep helping one another and not feeling afraid to ask a question (you know....the proper question). Some questions are not life and death (or in our case "the perfect" truck vs. the truck with many flaws). Keep the board good, please. Sorry just had to get this off my chest.

Old 02-10-2005, 03:14 PM
goatdriver
Mountain Pass
I took out the inner tray, but it still rattles, esp. when very cold. Has anyone figured out where to put the felt pads to make it stop? Has anyone removed the entire ashtray, and if so, how do you do it?

Old 02-10-2005, 05:41 PM
dentexman
Freshman User
My ashtray rattles, too. It is driving me nuts. I bought my '04 in May and it didn't start rattling until November. I see others with the same issue but no resolutions! This is the only problem I've had with my truck. It doesn't make me love it any less, but it is annoying. My boss and I visited a property last month and I drove. Since the radio was OFF, I heard that goofy ashtray the entire trip. It makes the truck sound like a rattle-trap. Not a BIG deal, but it's a constant, small annoyance. Kinda like a zit on the nose of Katherine Zeta-Jones. If anyone fixes the problem (the ashtray, not the zit), please post the cure!!!

Old 02-15-2005, 09:47 AM
goatdriver
Mountain Pass
My rattle has gotten worse, to the point that I have to leave the ashtray open all the time. Does anyone know how to remove it completely. I thought that if I did this, I might be able to see why it was so noisy.

I hope someone has got the fix.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:13 AM
jowpup
New User
I have a 150 4x4 Lariat. The dang thing has such a quiet ride that you hear things like the ashtray rattling. Regardless, before I read this post I tried the foam sticky pads on the upper left had corner (had to put 2 of them back to back) and then forcing it shut. I'm not OCD on rattles, but this rattle is ANNOYING!!! 1st person to post the "REAL" fix is going to be a hero to lots of people!

Old 03-08-2005, 11:01 AM
goatdriver
Mountain Pass
my thoughts exactly. I love the truck, but the ashtray rattle is absolutely driving me nuts. If anyone has the fix, please post. Or if anyone knows how to remove the ashtray, I might just take it out completely!!!!!!!

Old 03-08-2005, 12:26 PM
mw1063
Junior User
Took my truck in with this problem two weeks aqo, along with many other problems, and the dealer replaced the entire ashtray assembly. I have not had a rattle since and I drive on pretty rough roads. It was also In the upper 30's the other morning and still not a sound.

Old 03-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Blair
New User
I had the same rattle problem. For me, it was the little metal inserts that the screws for the ashtray mount thread into. They werent fitting that snuggly, so i pulled the whole thing out, tightend everything up and put it all back togther. Now I have no rattle.

Blair

Old 03-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Lightbulb

I don't have the rattle,in fact I do not think I have ever opened my ashtray(will do that now out of curiosity).But was wondering if anyone has tried lubrication on tracks,stops and surround?

Last edited by Ruckus; 03-08-2005 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:11 AM
goatdriver
Mountain Pass
Blair -

Did you remove the entire ashtray to do your fix? IF so, could you tell me how you did it? Thanks.

Quick Reply: ashtray rattle